1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Beginner belt grinder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by DrayGu3, May 27, 2019.

1. DrayGu3

DrayGu3 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times...what is the best beginner 2x72 belt grinder? Is there a kit available?

2. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    You're right, it has been discussed quite a bit. ;)

What's your budget?

There are more grinder manufacturers now than there have ever been. OBM (origin blade maker) has a couple of different models, Polar Bear Forge has the GIB (Grinder in box), or you can look up the EERF plans and have the pieces cut out yourself. Pheer is highly regarded and has a few different package options. Kadrmas Kreations is a relatively new company, but they seem to have good prices and a number of options, though some people are complaining about lack of communication and lead time.

Other grinder makers: Reeder Products Inc., Ameribrade, Wilmont, KMG/Beaumont Metal Works, Black Fox Knifewerks, AMK, Northridge (I think they're working on a budget model), etc....

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    DrayGu3 and Ken H> like this.
  3. DrayGu3

DrayGu3 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I wasn't sure where to start. This is exactly the info I needed. Not sure on the budget yet, but in general I won't waste time with garbage.
    Thanks brother

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Drew Riley likes this.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Don't discount the Coote, Kalamazoo, or even the Grizzly grinders. All 3 have both contact wheels and flat platens.
    The Coote and Kalamazoo can be configured with multiple pulleys for speed control, or with a VFD.
    The Pheer grinders are very good values, and very good grinders.

DrayGu3 likes this.
  5. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    tw-90

DrayGu3 and A.McPherson like this.
  6. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    DrayGu3 likes this.
  7. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008
    What I love the most about the Grizzly and why I want one......is because of the paint job. I love that green color of their products. But they also just look like really robust machines. However variable speed would be much more nicer to work with.

Beanman13 likes this.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    If you have room for more than one grinder, the Grizzly is a good one to have.

9. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    Pheer 454 affordable and EXCELLENT!! Everything that fits the kmg fits it. Options are endless.

Beanman13 likes this.
  10. Coy Ranch

Coy Ranch

Aug 23, 2017
  11. Trauma

Trauma Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2019
  12. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    I see they changed their name. Used to be Oregon. I have seen many good reviews. Whichever you choose. Make sure to get variable speed.