Beginner's guide to bowdrill - getting your first coal

kgd

This weekend I decided to try and put together a tutorial video series for friction fire by bowdrill.

The main reason I wanted to put this video out there is because I often see people trying to take on too much at once when trying to learn the technique. For example, one of the most frequent questions you see asked by people who haven't yet achieved a coal pertains to their wood selection. I usually advocate that people use the best of materials to first learn the technique. After they have achieved success a few times with optimal materials, they can then go out and explore foraging for wood on site. The problem with trying to both forage and learn the bowdrill technique at the same time is that the person never knows if they are simply doing it wrong or if their wood selection was wrong.

In this video set I go through the bowdrill process step by step using easy to procure materials (cedar from lumbar yard), shot glass top piece and bow made from paracord.

The first video is all about the materials you need and prepping them (hearth, spindle, top piece and bow).

The second video demonstrates the technique including the burn in, notching and getting the coal. I tried to use split windows to show the drilling action from both far and close up angles.

The intended audience of these videos is for people who haven't yet managed to get their first bowdrill coal but want to try it out at their home. Folks who already have had success getting their coal will find the video boring and too basic. Hope this helps the aspiring friction fire beginners out there.

[youtube]JAotpSBmnbk[/youtube]

[youtube]14mgjX15YK8[/youtube]

Great tutorial Ken ... thanks for taking the time to do this, it's very informative.

I know it's been awhile since I've been around; but when did your hair get all grey/white? Is all the time you have been spending with Rick, or have I really been gone that long?

I would say "excellent video", but I haven't watched it yet. I stopped as soon as I saw your hair. I'll watch it now though..

Now that I saw the video. That was one of the best instructional bow drill videos I have seen.

I only have 1 critique. You may want to tell the people new to this to blow up to the tinder bundle and not down. It just helps keep the smoke out of their eyes...

All in all, it is an outstanding Demo Ken, Thanks.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. You may want to zipper your fly for the next video though... :eek:

This is a good video. I wish I had that video available when I was first learning. Your article on the subject was helpful as well, but videos are just SO good for teaching.

Now that I saw the video. That was one of the best instructional bow drill videos I have seen.

I only have 1 critique. You may want to tell the people new to this to blow up to the tinder bundle and not down. It just helps keep the smoke out of their eyes...

All in all, it is an outstanding Demo Ken, Thanks.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. You may want to zipper your fly for the next video though... :eek:

Thanks Tony! I forgot to add in the video that the bowdrill technique NEVER works if you have your fly zipped up while bowing :D :D :D

This is a good video. I wish I had that video available when I was first learning. Your article on the subject was helpful as well, but videos are just SO good for teaching.

Thanks, I only started video work recently so a couple years ago everything was based on picture threads.

I always enjoy your videos Ken, this was another excellent one, thanks for taking the time. Jeeze, now I need to find some cedar, this was too tempting.

Thanks Ken! I'm going to use this to teach my 2 teenaged sons. What knife were you using?

Interesting and informative!Last few times I tried I have had fails,so this video renews my interest again.
That plank from the grocery store any idea on the cedar type-western red maybe?
Thanks
Dan'l

Interesting and informative!Last few times I tried I have had fails,so this video renews my interest again.
That plank from the grocery store any idea on the cedar type-western red maybe?
Thanks
Dan'l

If you can get a piece more pale in color rather than dark brown you will probably be fine. Most lumber-pine seems to work quite good as well, although I have a great deal of trouble with our native pine trees in these parts.

Excellent videos. Thanks for taking the time. I can't wait to get out there and try it.

Very well done, a few things I suggest to people after there first coal is to try a braided paracord string on the bow to help engage the drill if they have slippage, a small bit of scrap leather also can make a great coal catcher, and when you get a good working set it's nice to keep it dry in ziplock.

Thanks for the videos, I already forwarded them to some people.

Great stuff! This is one of my New Year's resolutions. Hopefully this weekend I can mark one off.

Back