1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Behind The Scenes 6/12/2018- ???

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, Jun 12, 2018.

1. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Behind The Scenes @ Fiddleback Forge

Just a friendly reminder these knives are for “Preview” not “Pre-sale”.

[​IMG]
    I was trying to get a couple pics of Allen tapering. It’s not only the tang that gets tapered but often times it runs the whole length of the blade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[email protected]! Belt broke. It was loud.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Group Buy progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More to come as time permits.

Thanks for looking!

Questions & Comments welcome.

2. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    As someone who doesn't know the first thing about making a knife, I have a question regarding tapering tangs: do you adjust the angle of the platen behind the belt and grind until you get what you are looking for? Or is it completely freehand?

Fiddleback and Oyster like this.
  3. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    the wooden handle has a flat face w/ a bunch of magnets to hold the blade in place. It's primary purpose is to keep you from burning the mess outta your finger tips. Everything else is freehand

4. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I can do all of that stuff.

Appalachian and Nbrackett like this.
  5. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    Its all freehand. But its more doable than it looks. I mean, I did successfully teach Allen to do it. :)

6. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    Lady1911 and Nbrackett like this.
  7. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Is that purple or blue?

8. ty_higg

ty_higg Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Loving that blue and yellow!!

VANCE likes this.
  9. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    blue

10. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Wow, the colors are so bright, and the burlap looks more regular with fewer voids. Does the manufacturer have a site with all their variations? Closest I found was Lee at Olde Town Cutlery, but obviously he is retailing it.

11. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    I dont believe he has a website. Hes a friend of Andys so he just comes by the shop and drops it off.

As far as variations go, im not sure he will ever have a "complete" list. He's constantly working on new combos and bringing us samples to try and provide him with feedback.

madcap_magician likes this.