Behold, Smashblade (variant one...)

A buddy got a bunch of leaf springs, and gave me a chunk. I had been thinking of making a Khukuri (commonly made from leaf springs), but then I got another idea...
Why not prototype the new knife design I had been working on?

The stock was 2.5 inches wide, but I needed 3 inch wide stock for my design, which combined the blade of Stormbreaker with the handle of Mjolnir. All I had to do was lay out the design that would fit on the stock, and then forge out the section that needed to be wider. Set the tip cut-off initially positioned so that it would end up where I wanted when the curvature from forging was added.

Easy. :)

HXvmhIb.jpg

N1Sdl3u.jpg

All cut-outs done. Handle put in first, to flatten it out so I can add the handle extension in place of tongs.

fHgldFx.jpg

Extension on:

cYOUlSb.jpg

Forging!

6zB5Xk3.jpg

Well, things were going pretty well.
However, the guy with the forge had looked things up on the internet (oh no, not the damned internet!!! :eek:), and it said he should have a smaller diameter air disperser to be more efficient.
Well, on a smaller forge with a variable speed blower, sure...but on a huge forge with a hair dryer, it just makes it so the heat concentrates in one small spot, reaching welding temperatures...

...or melting temperatures...

I was on the last heat before switching to grinding. The stock was going be wide enough after this.
I was getting heat exhaustion, so I walked away for a minute. Less time that I had in previous forging sessions, or even on this day.
But when I walked back over, the steel was melting!!!

So, I pulled it out, and ground off the bad steel.

Then went to forge the good steel out as wide as I could...and then had to grind off more bad steel...
It ended up at the width I had stated with before forging. :D

1V0PpMw.jpg

But, I used the belt sander to blend things in a bit more before tempering.

When I got home, I cast the runes to see how the heat treat went. It said mostly good, but not optimal...which was true...

MrjrzXb.jpg

You see, with the stupid localised heat source, it is almost impossible to get the whole blade heated when it is this length.

The rear of the blade had widened during the forging; it was the middle area that had melted and had to be made narrower.

So, I measured it out, and marked the area to be ground with some nail polish my wife hated:

d5ESd5j.jpg

ground it out:

JcNw40Z.jpg

dJznGLg.jpg

Now, though, I could file the back 2 inches. The heat treat had wonderfully hardened the front 8 or so inches, but the back had only hardened in the area I had to grind away. :D

So I bought more charcoal, and went to do it again...

This was the best I could do, as to see the colours it has to be dark, but the neighbours were probably 5 minutes from calling the fire department. Sparks flying high into the air, and hot coals getting shoved all over the driveway, because the forge did not have a back door on it yet:

PlDuIWp.jpg

vuDh5kg.jpg

It hardened for more of the length, but not as well as the first heat treat had done the parts it got.
Grrr...

Last edited:
Well, I took advantage of the softer nature of things, and did a bunch of grinding, filing, and belt sanding:

p2Vxhzf.jpg

sveCj3G.jpg

oZbwFq5.jpg

rKbkZt1.jpg

I also had to sand the handle way flatter. It had seemed flat on forging day, but it was bent enough that it screwed up all the holes in the stabilised wood I was going to use for scales (I should have waited for later to drill the scale holes, but I was doing the same as I had when starting with flat stock). So I ordered some black canvas Micarta for the scales, and went through a few 4 x 36 sanding belts.

Straightened the curve the blade had while I was at it.
You see, when correcting the melted steel issue, the blade had curved more than desired. So, I had to heat it as best I could (without melting it), put the spine on the anvil, and whack the edge with a huge chunk of log from my brother's fire wood pile.
This corrected the bend mostly, but put a slight twist to the humped section at the front of the blade. I was able to correct most of that, but with the belt sander, I could do more.

Plus, after forging, the knife weighed 2.54 pounds! I wanted to get it down to two pounds.

After all that, I took it to the techno-wizards at McLearie and Sons heat treating services. They have been doing it it for about 36 years.

tCXrjdp.jpg

VEhWBsI.jpg

F6XZHHJ.jpg

Here it is with handle scales roughed in, and the mighty cardboard and hockey tape sheath I made for transporting it so I wouldn't get stabbed:

fC4WJ3p.jpg

The scales needed to be contoured more though, and correct widths had to be achieved in key handle areas:

ZdnqO8Y.jpg

6vZlhyH.jpg

YoRLUvH.jpg

yYCZ7qd.jpg

Then the handles needed to be roughed up under the scales for the epoxy to have somewhere to go. I added the runes of the final heat treat, and the runes of protection:

vpFTXnR.jpg

j2Js4Ng.jpg

And a random pattern on the reverse side of the scales themselves:

pcFe0BG.jpg

Fasteners cleaned with 90% isopropyl alcohol, and ready to go:

kkxgpq5.jpg

Last edited:
Time for JB Weld. :)

yVBVSpY.jpg

67QjjgM.jpg

lk8PNcK.jpg

2DXft4D.jpg

qNTtg8n.jpg

qd6EUq3.jpg

There was so much JB weld in there, that I had to get my wife to put the camera down, grab a flat-head screwdriver, and hold the opposite side while I tightened it, squishing out all the epoxy from inside the fasteners! :D
It ain't going anywhere.:thumbsup:

I also slathered extra JB weld all around the handle, so any little gaps would be fully filled and waterproofed.

Hanging to dry:

LWCjYBu.jpg

When I finished up the handle over at my brother's place, along with final belt sanding of the blade to establish an initial edge, chopping had to be done.
There was a bunch of 2 x 6 planks, so we chopped them.
On one chop into one of them into the end, as it split the wood, it also chopped a hidden nail in half! Big spark from that one.
Just a little time at home with some silicon carbide paper though, and good as new. :) Didn't really hurt the edge much at all.

But will it work in the kitchen?

l2BZo6M.jpg

GDnQlXA.jpg

ln2o5mz.jpg

aBVR3yg.jpg

PYy7aii.jpg

k2MqFcp.jpg

TIaR97Z.jpg

Yep!!! :thumbsup:

Size comparison:

M9h99hh.jpg

And a shot in the hand:

s6S2fdj.jpg

Last edited:
But how does it look with art? o_O

Av0rRKI.jpg

i4Siz5a.jpg

CCjhemy.jpg

CWepku1.jpg

zH9uf48.jpg

m5irUX1.jpg

qSaKLh5.jpg

Looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

But what about if you're attacked by demons, eh?
Better anoint it with holy water at an historic, 250 year old church, just in case:

uRdEYqa.jpg

It also works great for if you want to become a Pirate of the Detroit River! :D

lk2PhBc.jpg

QTYFneG.jpg

QBYLU7I.jpg

Once on an island paradise, it will chop wood for you:

75wGjI7.jpg

N6Dl5eT.jpg

NV74CHJ.jpg

Oh yeah, and I made a Kydex sheath for it too:

ZABdTLD.jpg

kueasBX.jpg

Last edited:
You said "Stormbreaker"... Were you meaning "StormBringer"? As in Elric's sword?

That's a wicked piece of cutlery there. Real blood, sweat and tears looks to have been shed in it's creation.

Cool as hell.

Bro, you made a thing and you like South Park. Congrats :D:thumbsup:

It's a good show. :thumbsup:

The runes under the scales, very effin nice

I like them too. :)

Awesome work, Stabman! I thoroughly enjoyed this post! Please keep up the good work!

Glad to help entertain.

You said "Stormbreaker"... Were you meaning "StormBringer"? As in Elric's sword?

That's a wicked piece of cutlery there. Real blood, sweat and tears looks to have been shed in it's creation.

Cool as hell.

Stormbreaker is the blue handled beast in the size comparison shot. I made it back in 2011.
I'd link to the thread chronicling it's creation, but Photobucket is holding the images hostage. :D

I'll have to replace the images sometime with Imgur linked ones instead.

Here's a few shots of it in action:

cExGORB.jpg

X0fKDSt.jpg

wbmqyWM.jpg

gxWgcla.jpg

Cutting through frozen bacon...because who has time to wait for bacon? :D

Dof8tjd.jpg

Last edited:
Back