Being able to see what's on BladeForums Site without Logging on?

d762nato

Gold Member
I think Spark should change this like some other forums have done so just anyone can't see the forum until they join up. I think it also makes it easier for scammers also to operate being able to check things out around here. What you say folks?

If I understand correctly, you're suggesting the only way to see any forum content at all would be to sign up first? Why would anyone sign up for a forum sight(site) unseen? I wasn't aware other forums did this.

Do you mean the whole thing or just certain forums like selling?

I would imagine BF popping up in search results for knife terms is what draws a good chunk of new membership. Closing off everything would kill that source of new members off. I'm not a big USN member but have had a user awhile; they are fully closed off, and every section I look at there (the knife-related ones) is practically dead nowadays. I would hate for that to happen to BF. BF through everyone's posts also provides an information service to the community at large. For that sake I would hate for it to be walled off, as FB communities and others are.

Would closing off the "Individual" selling sections (only) do anything to slow scammers signing up?

That would probably be better on the selling forums part of it. I belong to more firearm related forums and on a lot of them you can't see anything until you become at least a Basic Member.

The other side of that is a lot of people come here after searching for a specific knife. They register after seeing the ad, in order to purchase the knife...if the Exchange isn't viewable to nonmembers, a good deal of traffic would be lost.

Yeah, for a good example, check out the USN site.
You can register for free, but have to be approved by a mod, IIRC. They instituted the "must join to read" policy many years ago to stop spammers/scammers. Not really much going on there these days, and no where near the number of knaf discussions here on BF.

Back