Belated 1K giveaway.....

Posting only because I've never had a damascus knife before...thanks for the chance and congrats on the milestone. Always enjoy seeing your unique pictures. Anyway, here is the Cross pen my parents gave me when I graduated high school. Not the fanciest pen (I know a lot of knife guys are into vintage fountain pens) but I like using it and it reminds me of happier times. Also shown, in the same vein, is a watch of my father's, and a great-grandfather's congress.

DSCF0405-1.jpg

Very generous GA, here is one of my traditional Japanese swords, mid-16 c, I have a lot of sentiments for the Japanese sword - the ultimate weapon of old time, yet it has it's beauty.

IMG_4746.JPG

Congrats for the 1K, it's only a start :)
Mike

Congratz to the 1K, FES!
Thank you for the chance, Sir!

I have a couple of old things all around. Some of the are very special to me. I collected then whenever I had the chance to get anything from my ancestors. A couple of years ago I found in the old basement of the house I live right now, a very great piece of family history. It was the military passport of my great-great-grandfather for the Royal Bavarian Infantery Division (Königlich Bayerisches Infanteriereginemt), when Bavaria was still a kingdom. It is dated to 1895, when the man was roundabout twenty years old. I never knew him. This is hidden by me like a treasure (and it is one for me).

IMG_2092.jpg

I thought id bump this to the top guys..My random number generator will pick a winnig number on Saturday ,New zealand time..so if you want a chance get in soon..Good luck and thanks for participating.. FES

WildTurkey002.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I keep forgetting to post an entry. I don't know why, because this one is easy. One of the objects that holds the most sentimental value for me is also a traditional knife. It is pictured in my avatar, and I posted about it here.

This Schrade Walden 708Y is the last Christmas gift I gave to my grandfather, and my grandmother gave it back to me the next Christmas, just weeks after his untimely death at the age of 60.

Schrademarkopen2.jpg

Wow thanks for the chance. Below are two knives that I cherish very much. Neither one are very expensive but are worth more than the world to me. My grandfather is the one that started me in my love for knives. The large lockback was the first knife he ever gave me when I was a boy. The eagle knife was purchased by me on the day he passed. They both have a special place in my heart. The only thing I see when I look at these knives is him. Well enough mushy. Thanks again for the chance.
IMAG1414.jpg

Get in here guys..this is too much of a great give-away to let slip!
This picture is of probably the two ugliest knives that ever exist ...but extremely special to me...the Older Solingen knife was my great friend Gary Watson, he was telling me about his Dads knife that was given to him, I said that I would clean it up-as it had a wee bit of paint, a little live rust etc- he dies as a result of a terrible motorbike accident...I never got to hand him back his knife.
The other is my Brothers Wildcat skinner-in all honesty probably one of the worlds most bulkiest horrible knives-but Andrew bought it as a young fellow - 14-nearly 15 years old...I have a fond memory of him showing me his knife when he got home-I was excited because he left home at 14 -and I missed my big brother dearly, I was nearly 10...in Urban New Zealand we dont carry knives like you lucky guys did when you were younger...my eyes nearly melted the knife...I wanted it so bad...of course he didnt give it to me ...but 20 years ago he was tragically taken from us...and I found his knife when cleaning out his flat after he died, Im 48 now, and would love the honour of showing him my knives...
Picture017.jpg

If Im lucky enough to win, I would like to re-draw a winner Fes.
C'mon guys.... get in here quick.

Great pics and stories ,every single one of them....Im organising the random number generator and will post results in a couple of hours....FES

NDAVbl.jpg

The most sentimental knife I had I gave to my brother, It was a cheap gerber folder of my dads, sharpened down to about half its original size.
I already had a few things of his, and my brother doesn't keep things he doesn't use. So I let him have one of my fathers things he could use.
This trapper is my my second most sentimental knife. It was given to me, and has seen lots of use. Unfortunately it needs a lot more to catch up to that little gerber!
I remember my dad sitting on is chair with his gerber going shink shink shink and spitting on his stone.
Thanks for the memories!

Huh, I dont know what happened to that stone.

I traded for this old PAL knife back when I was a kid. It had belonged to my boss (and friend) and I was told that it actually saw service in WW II. My friend died several years back and - after years of abuse/neglect - this old PAL knife became my most valued knife. It is retired now - it's sole job is a reminder of my friend and my youth.

BTW - Thanks for the opportunity.

This is not an entry but you gentleman sure know how to make a grown man tear up! I can't follow any of your stories. Good luck.

Don't have a lot of stuff that's sentamental, but have boxes of photos. Good for trips down memory lane, but not digitized. Here's a rarety, a gift from an old heighbor who's going through his stuff and scanning them.

This is my dad with me in the background, back around 1975, shooting my first rifle, a Marlin .22 (which I still have) on the old SoCal Gas Company Range. The range is now gone, ate up by the 210 freeway, but I remember it.

1-26-2008_037.jpg

Back