Belt/grit selection for HB 1x30 belt sander and sources?

So I broke down and ordered the Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander tonight. It was on sale and I was able to use a 20% off coupon code. While I'm checking out videos, such as Jeff Marshall's and others, and trying to get used to this change up from my old oilstones and waiting for it to get here I figure I'll start off spending wisely by asking for recommendations.

What grits do those of you using a belt sander use for:

Reprofiling/repairing/reshaping?

Basic sharpening on a knife that has good bevels, but gone a little too long without edge maintenance?

Quick restore on a knife that's been kept up decently? This might include kitchen knives that have been honed properly along the way, but it's getting time for a proper resharpening?

Also, tips, grits, video/page links for working on scissors, axes, chisels, or other tools?

Best places to get belts/strops/pastes?

As I said, I've been chasing down the videos on some of this, but after awhile you end up trying to remember which guy is using what belts in what steps and getting them confused with the that guy and the other guy.

So, a good starting grit kit suggestion? Extras to consider?

I'm not new to sharpening. I've been using basic oilstones and plain leather for years in the old country boy, shave the stone manner. This of course on edges that were at least somewhat there. I've never put the first edge on a knife from the git go as they say. I don't want to farm that out anymore. I want to be able to do the little mods, maybe turn a long blade into a shorter Wharncliff or fix the broken tip or botched edge on a knife. I do know to be careful of overheating the knife and will be touch testing the blade as I go.

I have no doubt that as I go on I'll add plenty of "extras" in terms of grits/polishes for specialized purposes, but it would be nice to have a good idea what to start with for the best all around working and not spend money and time on things that are "later" things when "now" things are needed to step up.

At the risk of too many questions. How about a few suggestions on good, inexpensive books on the subject?

Appreciate it folks.

When setting up a harbor freight belt sander for sharpening a few months ago, I called and spoke with the owner of Pops to find out what he recommended.

His recommendation was 220 or the 320 belt then to a leather belt with the green or white compound. (he said that the green was a bit oilier and holds to the belt slightly better)

He said that the harbor freight belt sanders turn faster than ideal and that you really have to be careful about heat friction if you were to go with finer grit belts. He also said to use a very light touch when sharpening on the belts.

I ended up ordering his recommendation (220,320,leather) , but I also picked up some 400 and 600 belts because after all I had watched YouTube videos showing guys working up with belt progressions. Well after actually using the set-up (he was right), the 400 and 600 are not needed for hair shaving edges so why bother.

Rooster, greatly appreciated. You and Fox (Hmm, Fox and Rooster in close proximity...) are providing just information I'm looking for. Like you said, with all the videos and things out there where people are using this, that, and everything, I figure the folks who would hang out in here probably have it down a little more and found what is and isn't needed.

I do wish the HB was able to turn a little slower. Not being a machinist or even a journeyman tinkerer, I'm not in the position to turn new pulleys or anything. So, I'll just have to be extra careful about heat.

Do you guys use a water dip for cooling or just take it nice and slow?

Thanks again folks,
Amos

Thanks, Russ. Makes sense. I assume I should wipe the blade after each dip too and keep the belts dry? That's what I plan on doing.

Back