Beltatathon

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We've always made a few belts over the years. Mostly for family members or close friends. Occasionally one for an order. Somebody would see one of Nichole's carved belts and order one. A fully flower carved belt isn't for everyone and they are very expensive due to the amount of time involved in carving one. This friend has four but he also collects handmade buckles so he has us build em for the buckle:

vniL0Bu.jpg

But belts haven't been a big part of our business. Ya can't even order one on our website. Recently with our discovery of the water buffalo leather and what great belts it makes we've expanded that. We had a couple little shows coming up and we'd found that these belts sold pretty darn well. In fact we had a little BBQ a few weekends ago and I looked around as I was grilling and counted 10 water buffalo belts being worn. So we made a batch up for stock. If ya got a moment follow along as we build some stock for a show:

jnkPL5t.jpg

Rot7spS.jpg

Here I've got the belt blanks all cut out. I've punched the spear points on each end and have punched the buckle tongue slot and Chicago Screw holes as well. We use these screws on our belts as that way the customer can change out the buckle if they like. I've also cut the stitching grooves as all our belts are lined. here I'm stamping the makers mark on all of them.

4zj5kk3.jpg

Then I start cutting the lining for each belt. Each one is cut as an individual and I use a roller knife to cut this thinner leather. The lining is an Horween 4 to 5 oz brown latigo.

CzghJKG.jpg

I skive the end of the lining so that it will lay down flat. I like the lining to end between the two screw holes. Its also necessary to rough up the leathers before glueing paying particular attention to all edges. I use a rat tail file for this.

XRQhIpe.jpg

DxE2ZCp.jpg

Then I glue up both the belt and the lining.

1oBHXaS.jpg

v6zxnQr.jpg

Now they are ready to sew. I run em inside and Nichole starts sewing em. Some are double stitched and some are sewn with different colored threads. We always try to make a variety as you don't know who's coming in your booth to shop and what they're tastes are.

12RzXn2.jpg

Meanwhile I head back out to the shop as I hear someone drive in. Its my son Logan returning from a long hot day of cowboying:

fcTSahx.jpg

I take him out a beer as he's unloading his horse from the trailer and it looks like his horse could use one too. One hot and sweaty pony. Logan has an older belt we made him on and a folding knife pouch too from his belt loop into his pocket. We also made the martingale across the horse's chest and his spur straps. I like to see our stuff getting used hard and probably not many folks use leather harder than a working cowboy.

7iZbtuc.jpg

yqqIhuQ.jpg

Pk4YdmL.jpg

Meanwhile back at the ranch....(sorry for the pun couldn't help it), Nichole has some of the belts sewn up. I start melting the threads and trimming the lining.

fT4GDQO.jpg

qR0FEe1.jpg

iKqfFuN.jpg

After trimming the lining they are ready for sanding. Katy Mac, Logan's then fiancee and now wife got started on the sanding while I continued melting threads and trimming lining as Nichole finished sewing em up. So its kinda cool as we have three different people concurrently working on different aspects of the same project.

6iaFPrf.jpg

JuKp0BF.jpg

After Katy Mac got a few sanded, I started edging the belts.

5WfYTuC.jpg

8txUir4.jpg

cyKPPCx.jpg

Ya know ya've edged a few belts when ya darn near full up the trash can:

9c9u4PW.jpg

I started in on rubbing the edges of the belts:

JlSH9yI.jpg

Maeyq65.jpg

After they had the edges rubbed Katy Mac started in on the finish work. Punching the tongue holes and installing buckles. Pretty much all that was left was to put their price tag on and size em.

raUQOJf.jpg

11tFpmJ.jpg

XTQOgnn.jpg

8uUpnv0.jpg

xRf1K6v.jpg

rnHHAiR.jpg

Then all that was left was to get em hitched. Logan has one of our carved belts on. Katy Mac even talked me into dyeing it (bah humbug) to match his new boots.

0g7Dqmx.jpg

Nichole and I and our daughter Alyssa. Alyssa has on one of the water buffalo belts. Nichole and mine are both carved:

8r6DCA1.jpg

Nuthing left but the dancing:

TzlSsTb.jpg

With Alyssa:

FyCY7aI.jpg

Oops spotted another water buffalo belt on Big Ty:

OCBB4p9.jpg

Well hope ya enjoyed this little belt making marathon. As always questions and comments are welcome and thanks for looking.

Been wearing/using/collecting belts for almost 65 years now. Best ones ever made/used come from Dave and Nichole! Can't go wrong with any of them, but the water buffalo is the best gun belt I've ever run across. Really nice! Nichole's carving is just absolutely magnificent for dress up wear. And Dave's holsters and sheaths are spectacular. Only discovered them about 2 years ago. Trust me, spent a lot more money on a lot less quality than Dave offers.

Wow. That
Is some beautiful work sir. As always top notch leather working.
Thank you for the tutorial.

Andy

Thanks for the tutorial. Great belts and very nice work. Man, your surroundings are beautiful. It's great to see Family pitching in, and after a long day, unwinding with some friends. That's what it's all about.

Dave ,

The belt you made me is still the best one I own .
Great thread , and congratulations to the bride and groom .

Ken

Thanks Ken! Good to see ya around! I'll pass er on.

After trimming the lining they are ready for sanding. Katy Mac, Logan's then fiancee and now wife got started on the sanding while I continued melting threads and trimming lining as Nichole finished sewing em up. So its kinda cool as we have three different people concurrently working on different aspects of the same project.

6iaFPrf.jpg

JuKp0BF.jpg

After Katy Mac got a few sanded, I started edging the belts.

5WfYTuC.jpg

8txUir4.jpg

cyKPPCx.jpg

Ya know ya've edged a few belts when ya darn near full up the trash can:

9c9u4PW.jpg

I started in on rubbing the edges of the belts:

JlSH9yI.jpg

Maeyq65.jpg

After they had the edges rubbed Katy Mac started in on the finish work. Punching the tongue holes and installing buckles. Pretty much all that was left was to put their price tag on and size em.

raUQOJf.jpg

11tFpmJ.jpg

XTQOgnn.jpg

8uUpnv0.jpg

xRf1K6v.jpg

rnHHAiR.jpg

Then all that was left was to get em hitched. Logan has one of our carved belts on. Katy Mac even talked me into dyeing it (bah humbug) to match his new boots.

0g7Dqmx.jpg

Nichole and I and our daughter Alyssa. Alyssa has on one of the water buffalo belts. Nichole and mine are both carved:

8r6DCA1.jpg

Nuthing left but the dancing:

TzlSsTb.jpg

With Alyssa:

FyCY7aI.jpg

Oops spotted another water buffalo belt on Big Ty:

OCBB4p9.jpg

Well hope ya enjoyed this little belt making marathon. As always questions and comments are welcome and thanks for looking.

Dave:

I really enjoyed your post. Is it possible to order a belt ? My waist is 40 inches.
Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Wild Bill. We can't discuss commerce here. I'll PM you. Thanks Jason ya kinda had fun tromping around them lakes. I could of loaned ya a pony!

Fantastic thread Dave, those belts are something, and it's great you've roped Katie Mac into the family business :) Congratulations again to the happy couple :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! Oh another pun about roping, good one. We have been teaching her to rope and ride since she hadn't before she met Logan. Last weekend sorting cattle at our place.

ECfXZaW.jpg

Beautiful stuff
Does the liner on the inside have function or is it to look better?

Thanks Hengelo. Yes the lining does provide function besides better looks. It makes the belt much more durable, doesn't wear out as fast and doesn't get misshapen from stretching out and use. It provides more body which as old abe said was helpful when carrying a gun. Ya may not carry a pistol but almost all of us on this forum carry knives on occasion on our belts and or other items so it helps distribute the weight better of those just like it does with a gun. And it just finishes off a belt a lot. Using the different colored stitching has a big appeal to a lot of folks.

This was really an interesting thread. I had one of your handmade knives previously, and it was the finest I've ever owned. I'm sure your leather-work is equally outstanding.
I am particularly impressed with that gorgeous cross-draw belt sheath (fixed blade) that is shown in your first photo on this thread.
Beautiful work...belts, holsters, (knives too)! Congrats to all of you who participate in the process.
don

Back