Benchmade’s founder has passed away.

Sorry to hear this.
My condolences to the family.
Nice write up, Jon.

Goldy at AG Russell Knives sent out a note, which I hope she will not mind if I post here, as it had information I'd not heard:
Les was a pillar in the knife community. He built a tremendous company, Benchmade Knives. But more importantly, from that position of strength, he continually supported and fought for the entire knife community.

We have sold Benchmade knives from the beginning of the brand so I have worked with Les personally for the 30+ years that I have been involved in the knife business. But it was in 2009 that I was really able to see his passion for the entire knife community. This became evident during AKTI's leadership in counteracting U.S. Customs' move to identify most folding knives as automatics (switchblades). Les was one of the biggest supporters of our efforts, providing both guidance and funds, as we all worked together to prevent that move. Had Les and C.J. Buck not envisioned and led the process in building the American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI), the knife community would look very different today.

Goldie Russell, president
A.G. Russell Knives

Can't believe I'm just reading this. Condolences to the family, and much respect for a man who I had spoken with over the years and had great admiration for.

I heard about this via an email from A.G. Russell (technically Goldie, since A. G. passed on last year.) RIP Les: you done good.

Offering my condolences to all family, friends,
and the fellow Knife family, along with a hearty Thank you for all he had done and stood up for
in the knife industry.
May his legacy live on...
B.T.B.
fCudblv.jpg

yRoacKu

Last edited:
R.I.P.
This is the company that introduced me to knife quality. My full size Blackwood Rukus is my EDC and a cherished possession. I have many of their knifes, this is truly sad to hear.

I would not have known this had I not just finally signed up here. This makes me pretty sad. I have a long history with Benchmade. In fact it may have been one of my first better knives. My condolences to their family.

Rest In Peace. May Family and Friends find strength to keep going with the knowledge that he is in Shamayim, Heaven. Peace.

Back