1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Benchmade’s M4 steel question

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by hauntedhouse, Sep 13, 2019.

1. hauntedhouse

hauntedhouse

Dec 18, 2013
    Hey guys, I’m think about ordering a custom mini grip with m4 blade.
    I personally love the way m4 develops a patina, but most(all?) photos of patina on m4 is on satin/regular finished blades.

The non-black coated option benchmade lists for m4 is “steel grey”.
    Is this some sort of coating or laminate or something?
    Will it still patina like a satin finish blade?

If so, does anyone have any photos of “steel grey” m4 with patina? I’d love to see how it develops.

Cheers,
    Brian

TonySal likes this.
  2. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    I could be mistaken but BM steel, like Buck steel doesn't patina... could be wrong, someone here will answer better.
    M4 is a carbon steel? S/S, like SAK Inox doesn't.... I own a couple of each, some over 20 years.

hauntedhouse likes this.
  3. cashville

cashville Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2017
    I believe the grey coating is the same type of coating that they use for their black blades, just a different color. One of the main reasons they choose this coating over something like dlc coating is for corrosion resistance. You should expect any type of patina to form through this coating

hauntedhouse likes this.
  4. godzilla78

godzilla78

Jan 30, 2014
    hauntedhouse, TonySal and tgtodd like this.
  5. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    [​IMG]
    No visible patina, i use it hard.

hauntedhouse and TonySal like this.
  6. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Never knew about the coating, so Benchmades M4 suddenly got real interesting.

7. hauntedhouse

hauntedhouse

Dec 18, 2013
    Copy that, thanks guys.
    I’ll still get one, I’ll just go in knowing I likely won’t get any patina.

TonySal likes this.
  8. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    If you like patina and experimenting with wood, try a carbon Opinel #8 !

hauntedhouse likes this.
  9. Rose and Thistle Custom

May 9, 2018
    I think you can strip the finish if you want patina. If I remember correctly the M4 is only on the custom shop models, some guys have had bad luck with the plastic handles on those, my G10 have done great, just food for thought. My M4 Grip is always with me, absolutely love it.

hauntedhouse likes this.
  10. hauntedhouse

hauntedhouse

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes! I just noticed Godzilla78’s knife was half stripped, and I’ve been reading about stripping the coating. Seems there’s a number of different ways: apple cider vinegar, sandpaper, buffing, etc. Any suggestions as to which is best?

On the plastic handles- I’ve read that too. Planning on swapping the handle immediately to a flat sided brown or OD micarta handle.
    (I’d also like to swap all the hardware to brass/bronze, just can’t find standoffs in those colors atm).

Right now I’m just deliberating whether I want a drop point or tanto blade. Drop point is the smart choice, especially on a little edc like the mini grip but the ninja in me loves tanto blades (and I’ve got pretty good at sharpening them).
    Decisions decisions.

I’ve been wanting an Opinel for a while, just wasn’t sure which one. Thanks Tony, that’s exactly the one I’ll get!

TonySal likes this.
  11. Rose and Thistle Custom

May 9, 2018
    I think DOAT might have some bronze standoffs, don't know if he'd sell them separately since he makes them for the grips he sells.
    My guess on the finish would be to disassemble it and use an actual paint stripper. But I've never tried stripping a Benchmade blade.

hauntedhouse and TonySal like this.
  12. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    The "Steel Gray" coating on the M4 blades is Cerakote.

13. Rose and Thistle Custom

May 9, 2018
    Thank you, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. I hope you guys add the ghost G10 to your custom shop Griptilian knives, that's the only thing I wish was different on mine.

14. hauntedhouse

hauntedhouse

Dec 18, 2013
    I pulled the trigger on an custom mini grip! This is my first knife in the griptilian family, figured I should do it right.

M4 black tanto blade w/ partial serration, black axis lock, all black hardware & black grips(soon to be swapped out for some custom OD micarta flat side grips) and black mini deep pocket clip.

Hopefully no fit/finish issues. I’m stoked!

https://api.spectrumcustomizer.com/benchmade/share/1568871414349/M59EHG5W

15. Michael Sankewitsch

Michael Sankewitsch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I do wish I had the option of a gray finish Super Phreak when the numbered versions came out. I would carry it. I am afraid to carry the first production one, well because it's numbered. And I think there are some M4 Strykers to be had, but they are black coated also. Musings, too many knives, not enough income!