1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Benchmade 20cv vs s30v

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Danny1994, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Danny1994

Danny1994

May 24, 2019
    between the 2 which one is tougher I’m seeing different results every where I turn when doing when doing my own research , is Benchmade’s s30v more prone to chipping then their 20cv ? And would it be worth a 30 dollar increase for the higher end steel for edc . I’ve had little experience with 20cv i know it’s a “super steel “ but is it really that much better then s30v

2. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Benchmade's s30v is pretty good, although I generally prefer 20cv since I find it a little easier to sharpen. Although I'd say for typical edc use I don't find a huge difference between the two.

3. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    I've owned both versions of the minigrip (20CV and S30V) from Benchmade. I consider S30V to hold an edge for a long ass time when doing something daily tasks like cardboard/plastic and wood carving. I've found that 20CV loses it's edge a lot faster with those tasks but is much easier to sharpen.

4. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    Benchmade is very consistently on the money with their S30V, and their 20CV...

In the interest of being positive, let me just say again that Benchmade does S30V very well.

orangejoe35 and Eli Chaps like this.
  5. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    I'd take m4 over both all day, and twice on Sunday. You'll get better toughness and edge retention, just can't leave it in your fish tank overnight.

Banter 247 likes this.
  6. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    Quoted for truth. Their M4 is excellent. Blows away anything else they’re using right now, despite the fact that their S30V is quite good.

7. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Here is what Benchmade says about their steels. Between S30V and 20CV, I’d take S30V. I still think 154cm is the all around best steel in their lineup.

Banter 247 likes this.
  8. Danny1994

Danny1994

May 24, 2019
    I was looking at their m4 but I want laser etching done on the blade and according to the person I talked to a black m4 blade with laser engraving would be prone to rust were the laser engraving is if you don’t keep it oiled

9. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    That is true, CPM M4 is a carbon steel so extra care is needed to prevent corrosion. The black coating helps prevent rust, but a thin coat of oil is needed on the exposed parts of the blade such as the edge.

10. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    You know what? Let’s give Benchmade a little more deserved love. Their S90V is pretty solid.

11. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I have a hard time believing this graph.. cpm 20cv and m390 are soo similar, I find it very hard to believe that their strength and toughness would be any different.

Having paid more for it before, I don’t think I’d pay extra for benchmade’s cpm20cv (or m390) again; either s30v or m4 for me.

marrenmiller and TheEdge01 like this.
  12. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I question some of the claims as well, this graph can be found in their catalog.

13. FiveToes

FiveToes Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    That chart is a little exhuberant in a couple places. Unless they have vastly different heat treats I'm going to call shenanigans.

You can get a good Benchmade in M390 but ironically it's made by Hogue. The Ritter grips are well hard and more performant than the standard grip directly from Benchmade in the same steel.

Banter 247 likes this.