Benchmade 319 Proper...I like it

photoman12001

Gold Member
I knew I would want this as soon as I saw it. I don't have many traditionals, and most of what I do have is Case, but I like them. I happened to be in a local store recently when the clerk pulled out an Anthem and a Proper. I messed with the Proper for about 60 seconds before saying "I'll take it". It's just a great little knife and fits my medium-sized hand perfectly. My sample is nice. The blade might be slightly off center and it had a slight wire edge from the factory, though it was sharp. A few light strokes on SharpMaker ultra fine stones fixed that.

I love my big collection locking folders from the small Chris Reeve Inkosi to the massive Cold Steel Espada, but honestly a little knife like the Proper will do everything the average person will ever need to do with a knife. I hope this model sticks around. I'd love to see a mini version as well as other colors (red & green currently), bolsters, and various blade steels. For the price I really think it's competitive with other options. You can probably get into a similar Case, Queen, GEC, etc. for a little less or about the same money but here's what I like about the Benchmade comparitively:
  • Simple, attractive G10 scales. I like fancy bone, wood, etc. as well but the G10 is a solid, no-worry option. I know some others offer G10 and linen micarta too.
  • Phosphur bronze washers. This is a great addition that I don't see on any of my other slip joints.
  • Screw construction. I prefer this greatly to pins. I like the ability to easily adjust/disassemble if necessary. I have tracked down several custom SAKs just because I prefer screws.
  • S30V blade steel. I know some people are criticizing Benchmade for their abundance of S30V knives but it's a good steel that works well. It's not a mystery steel and not prone to corrosion.
  • Nice spring action and a half-stop. The spring on my example has just the right amount of tension for me and has a half-stop. My Case Trappers are a little too stiff for my liking and don't have the half-stop. The little red linen micart GEC Tidioute pictured below is really stiff but does have a half-stop. My Victorinox Solo Alox spring is also stiff. I really wish it had a half-stop.
  • Closed stop pin. The Proper has an actual stop pin for the blade in the closed position as opposed to other traditionals that use the back spring. Does this really matter? Probably not, but it's a design element worth noting.
  • Skeletonized liners. For its size the Proper actually feels pretty light and nimble in the hand. Some weights for comparison. The closest comparisons to the Proper are probably the Russlock, Hobo (knife only), and Solo Alox due to the single blades. The Russlock is a bit smaller and has the added weight of the extra locking liner. The Hobo (knife only) is of course lacking a scale on one side. The Solo Alox has no liners.
    • Proper: 2-1/4oz
    • Case Trapper: 4oz
    • Case Russlock: 2-3/4oz
    • Case Hobo (knife & fork): 5-1/4oz
    • Case Hobo (knife only): 2-3/4oz
    • Victorinox Solo Alox (orange): 1-5/8oz
_DSC4933%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpstvpxczlg.jpg

If you're looking at the Proper, a Spyderco Urban or UKPK in G10 would also be worth checking out. Both have the half-stop and the added security of a finger choil, which I like.
_DSC4935%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsuvjqbfb4.jpg

As I mentioned elsewhere, I really like Benchmade's new "First Production" markings. Much classier.
_DSC4794%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zps1pbgqfjv.jpg

Some random photos:
_DSC4931%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsfxpmz5ac.jpg

_DSC4932%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpss6qder57.jpg

5CAAE857-3405-4FDE-9D2F-F87DDE90AD89_zpsexwggows.jpg

E16E401E-808A-48A4-BEA6-02EC96C6CCA7_zpsocfjlltx.jpg

F8008E13-5260-45FC-874F-168B3C076985_zpssyqgmcyf.jpg

C26970D4-3ADC-4C87-9274-2EFF0815AF9D_zpsppc81zm1.jpg

16A320F3-8E35-4968-BA85-1047C32FDF46_zpsujk2enca.jpg

9AA51B73-A2A3-4C25-9DE2-D7BBA49C4C6B_zpscjithwx1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a green one coming from rei
After member discounts, I got it for around $80
Can't wait

How strong is the detent on the 319 when open? I tried the Spyderco UKPK briefly but I thought the spring holding it open was too strong - hard to close one-handed. I prefer the weak springs like on SAKs. Is the 319 closer to the UKPK or SAKs?

How strong is the detent on the 319 when open? I tried the Spyderco UKPK briefly but I thought the spring holding it open was too strong - hard to close one-handed. I prefer the weak springs like on SAKs. Is the 319 closer to the UKPK or SAKs?

I would say it's closer to the UKPK.

Major anticipation,
Mine was supposed to be here yesterday but ups messed up and I should see it today
Ordered a leather pocket slip from knives ship free, so I've had a lonely empty pocket slip for a couple of days sitting on my desk
Can't wait

Been carrying my 319 for a few days now. Big fan, f&f is fantastic, grinds are symmetrical! I'm a sucker for micarta.
I must be getting old, slipjoints and soon maybe wood scales/handles?

I knew I would want this as soon as I saw it. I don't have many traditionals, and most of what I do have is Case, but I like them. I happened to be in a local store recently when the clerk pulled out an Anthem and a Proper. I messed with the Proper for about 60 seconds before saying "I'll take it". It's just a great little knife and fits my medium-sized hand perfectly. My sample is nice. The blade might be slightly off center and it had a slight wire edge from the factory, though it was sharp. A few light strokes on SharpMaker ultra fine stones fixed that.

I love my big collection locking folders from the small Chris Reeve Inkosi to the massive Cold Steel Espada, but honestly a little knife like the Proper will do everything the average person will ever need to do with a knife. I hope this model sticks around. I'd love to see a mini version as well as other colors (red & green currently), bolsters, and various blade steels. For the price I really think it's competitive with other options. You can probably get into a similar Case, Queen, GEC, etc. for a little less or about the same money but here's what I like about the Benchmade comparitively:
  • Simple, attractive G10 scales. I like fancy bone, wood, etc. as well but the G10 is a solid, no-worry option. I know some others offer G10 and linen micarta too.
  • Phosphur bronze washers. This is a great addition that I don't see on any of my other slip joints.
  • Screw construction. I prefer this greatly to pins. I like the ability to easily adjust/disassemble if necessary. I have tracked down several custom SAKs just because I prefer screws.
  • S30V blade steel. I know some people are criticizing Benchmade for their abundance of S30V knives but it's a good steel that works well. It's not a mystery steel and not prone to corrosion.
  • Nice spring action and a half-stop. The spring on my example has just the right amount of tension for me and has a half-stop. My Case Trappers are a little too stiff for my liking and don't have the half-stop. The little red linen micart GEC Tidioute pictured below is really stiff but does have a half-stop. My Victorinox Solo Alox spring is also stiff. I really wish it had a half-stop.
  • Closed stop pin. The Proper has an actual stop pin for the blade in the closed position as opposed to other traditionals that use the back spring. Does this really matter? Probably not, but it's a design element worth noting.
  • Skeletonized liners. For its size the Proper actually feels pretty light and nimble in the hand. Some weights for comparison. The closest comparisons to the Proper are probably the Russlock, Hobo (knife only), and Solo Alox due to the single blades. The Russlock is a bit smaller and has the added weight of the extra locking liner. The Hobo (knife only) is of course lacking a scale on one side. The Solo Alox has no liners.
    • Proper: 2-1/4oz
    • Case Trapper: 4oz
    • Case Russlock: 2-3/4oz
    • Case Hobo (knife & fork): 5-1/4oz
    • Case Hobo (knife only): 2-3/4oz
    • Victorinox Solo Alox (orange): 1-5/8oz
_DSC4933%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpstvpxczlg.jpg

If you're looking at the Proper, a Spyderco Urban or UKPK in G10 would also be worth checking out. Both have the half-stop and the added security of a finger choil, which I like.
_DSC4935%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsuvjqbfb4.jpg

As I mentioned elsewhere, I really like Benchmade's new "First Production" markings. Much classier.
_DSC4794%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zps1pbgqfjv.jpg

Some random photos:
_DSC4931%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsfxpmz5ac.jpg

_DSC4932%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpss6qder57.jpg

5CAAE857-3405-4FDE-9D2F-F87DDE90AD89_zpsexwggows.jpg

E16E401E-808A-48A4-BEA6-02EC96C6CCA7_zpsocfjlltx.jpg

F8008E13-5260-45FC-874F-168B3C076985_zpssyqgmcyf.jpg

C26970D4-3ADC-4C87-9274-2EFF0815AF9D_zpsppc81zm1.jpg

16A320F3-8E35-4968-BA85-1047C32FDF46_zpsujk2enca.jpg

9AA51B73-A2A3-4C25-9DE2-D7BBA49C4C6B_zpscjithwx1.jpg

Good read, photoman, and super pics, per usual!

I'm thinking about getting the green Micarta model for an excellent second or urban carry, but the red G10 is pretty sweet, too. I know the standard BF response to such a quandary, y'all, so save your fingers from typing "get both"! ;)

My photo skills aren't very good
blade pivot needed tightened right out of the box, other than that, knife is very nice
quick snake knot lanyard with the only color paracord I had with me, so I could get it out of the pocket slip.
I'll look at what colors I have at home and make a new one
Blade is centered, fit and finish are nice

Never would have thought to check REI. Thanks for the heads up. Used my coupon on a red one. Actually bought a Freek from REI last month.

^^^^^Nice. I want a green one now too. I like the sheath too.
I put an OD green lanyard on mine. It looks good with the red. I will probably do a bright orange one on the green knife. I like orange & green.

_DSC3251%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsbv2jdglh.jpg

TOPS%20Tahoma%20Red%20Feather%20Gear%20Sheath%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsgyi3lwbx.jpg

The 531 is a great little knife. I had a pair engraved by Benchmade for my wife and I. Mine has an amazing action. Sometimes I can get the blade to fully open just by pulling back on the Axis bar sharply (takes two hands).

F5764478-E4A1-4D68-9687-59990B1C8CE0_zpsep5briar.jpg

Back