Benchmade 555-1: Saber or Hollow ground?

I've read conflicting reports on whether or not the sheepsfoot G10 mini griptilian was hollow ground like the 154cm models. Can anyone confirm which it is?

From the ones in the videos I have watched have all been flat ground, so to answer your question im like 99.9% sure they are flat ground. Should still be ground pretty thinly ground if they are like the flat ground standard models, my 551 is still a super good slicer, the only knife I have that cuts anywhere near as good as my traditional knives beside my delica, and my benchmade mini bone collector axis. That knife has what looks like an identical blade to the 555-1 but in d2. It also cut GREAT despite having pretty thick blade.
Im sure someone that knows more about steel can chime in on why. Kershaw does the same thing on their blur models with special steels, they are flat ground instead of the incredibly thin hollow grind that normally comes on them.

The 555-1 models that I've handled are saber ground, not hollow ground. The HG models are the standard 154CM / Noryl versions. IIRC, even the custom shop 555s are sabre ground rather than HG. I think I remember hearing that from someone who got a 555 from BM's custom builder program.

IIRC, even the custom shop 555s are sabre ground rather than HG. I think I remember hearing that from someone who got a 555 from BM's custom builder program.

Would this be the case still if 154 would be selected as the build steel for a custom 555 ?

Thanks
Jeff

Here's a post from the BM factory forum answered by Jason, a BM design engineer who contributes to their factory forums:

"posted September 07, 2016 09:44 AM
Well, you could look at the Custom Grip platform..

Those 550 and 555 blades are flat ground for S30V, D2, 20CV, and M4. Hollow ground only for N680 and 154CM.

Not a super high grind, but still."

The 555-1 is a 20CV blade... high flat grind... or sort of sabre ground.

I would bet that whoever was inputting the specs over at bhq just copied everything over from the 555HG knives and changed the blade materials/handle materials sections. It's a shame though. I was hoping for a nice hollow ground slicer

The 555-1 models that I've handled are saber ground, not hollow ground. The HG models are the standard 154CM / Noryl versions. IIRC, even the custom shop 555s are sabre ground rather than HG. I think I remember hearing that from someone who got a 555 from BM's custom builder program.
555s are all hollow grinds. I asked design engineer Jason at BKC.

Back