Benchmade 940 Osbourne

I just recieved my new Benchmade 940S Axis lock folder. I am really impressed with this sleek little knife. The workmanship is great and the design is hghly functional. The blade appears smaller than it really is and is razor sharp. The handle fits my large hand good enough and the lock is solid. The blade opens effortlessly but is not loose. It carries deep in a pocket or waistband yet is accessible. If you havn't yet handled on of these you should!

940's will make very nice gentlemen's knives as well. I really like mine. It was given to me by a BladeForums member (thanks Art!).

------------------
Chang the Asian Janitorial Apparatus

I like it sort of.

It's closer to a custom design by osborne (the apex which is a 4"blade) than the Elishewitz collaborations which bear little resemblance to the custom model thay are named after.

It's a good new direction for BM and the Axis lock. But it could use some improvement. Mainly the handle, which is both narrow and thin. The scalloped out areas result in the lack of sharp edges to keep the knife from torquing in your hand, and while there is adequate grip on a thrust, there is inadequate grip for a slice or draw.

The colors could be a shade darker, but that's a picky point.

Thought about buying it, but then the MT LCC hit. For a few dollars more it's a far superior knife IMHO.

I got my 940 yesterday and I really like it. Metallic handles (which I love), a colour other than tactical black (which I REALLY love), the Axis lock, and just the right size for everyday carry where I won't scare the sheeple with my SOCOMs or Commander. I can't really compare it to the LCC yet, but I've got one on it's way so I will then.

[This message has been edited by Johan (edited 10-14-2000).]

I've had my 940 for a few weeks and haven't left the house without it since. Useful blade shape, comfortable handle, can't stop playing with the axis lock. I'm curious to know how easily the anodizing on the handle scratches. I've been babying it because it's too pretty to beat up. Does anyone know if keys in a pocket will scratch it?

I've had mine for several weeks also. I love the style and mine was a razor out of the box. As far as the anodizing, I scratched mine the first day on an exposed rivet on a pair of worn denim shorts. But that's why I got it, to USE it. Dave

Dave and Medusa -

Anodized surfaces are extremely hard. Once after neglecting to put a CRKT knife back on my belt, (I put it in my pocket with my keys), I discovered three scratches in the finish. At least I *thought* they were scratches.

After some research, mostly at Calphalon and other manufacturers of high grade aluminum pots and pans, I decided to try something they recommended.

I got out the scotchbrite, (you know...that 3M stuff that scratches glass), and proceeded to lightly buff the scales. The so-called scratches disappeared almost immediately. These 'scratches' would not rub off using hard finger pressure. The 'scratches' were just some metal picked up from my keys or possibly the stainless keyring.

The anodized surface IS very thin and something sharp will gouge it, but normal pocket carry shouldn't affect it too much.

I do agree with Dave, the reason I carry knives is to use them, but I clip mine to my belt or the top of my pocket to keep them above most of the junk.
smile.gif

One of my daily carries is a BM Leopard, gray anodized, I scrub it down every couple weeks just to keep it looking clean. I do not know if I can do this forever as the material in the scotchbrite is the same as the surface - aluminum oxide.

I am unsure of the properties of the colored anodization. Hope you have as good luck!

Steve-O

[This message has been edited by Steve-O (edited 10-16-2000).]

Bladeshape, size (blade and overall), weight, color, fit/finish, axis lock, price ... what more can I say? I like the knife. I am a major Chris Reeve fan, but have to say ... it's more than half the knife for less than a third the price.

Steve-O,
Well....you're right! I tried your trick and now have a knife with no scratches. At least for now, because remember, I like to use them. Thanks, Dave

I really like the look of it, have yet to hold one since there are no knife stores near me
frown.gif
The only thing is it sounds like it's small, I think I want it to be more the size of the 710 instead of the 705 (actually I think it's right in between the size of the 710 and the 705).

------------------
Cameron

011.gif
"It takes a killer...to stop a killer"
uriel.gif

A few of my balisongs
My Photopoint album

Visually, you're right on the money BalisongMan. I've got all three and the 940's blade does fall right in between the 705 and 710. The blade width is about the same as the 705, and the handle length is about the same as the 710. It doesn't have the beefy feeling with the thinner handle, but it sure does feel good in my hand.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

I have some scratches already on bolsters of my MT LCC. Will the Scotchbrite pad trick work on titanium?

Art

you might look into 3M's Scotch-Brite Hand Pads. These are a mucher higher quality than the green ones. You'll probably have to go to a good paint store to find them. I've used the following:

#7447, maroon, 360-400 grit equivalent
#7448, gray, 800-1000 grit equivalent
#7445, white, 1200-1500 grit equivalent

The maroon is way too coarse, but the gray and/or white should work, though I haven't actually used them on titanium. I've converted a bead-blasted blade first to a satin finish (maroon, followed by gray), then to an excellent mirror finish with the white pad.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 10-19-2000).]

I can't find a 940 in a knife store, I've been to 3 and they hadn't even heard of them?? I desperately need one to dispatch a foe:
chaos.gif
of course this IS what I look like when I'm all dressed up in my armour:
bruiser.gif

------------------
Cameron

011.gif
"It takes a killer...to stop a killer"
uriel.gif

A few of my balisongs
My Photopoint album

I also picked up a BM940 Osborne and it's great! love the size, the weight and the blade shape, the 154cm blade came fairly sharp but I soon corrected that and made it hair flinging sharp. Very nice everyday carry knife and as mentioned, opens with ease!

Have the dark green handled plain edged version, those looking for one might check with Roger at Bayou knives...

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

The 940 is one sweet kinfe. Easily carried in a variety of positions and very utilitarian. Mine is almost always on my person. I'm not sure of the comparison to the LCC. They are two totally different knives. In a potentially tactical situation the LCC would definitely be my choice. For general purposes, I'd go with the 940.

I picked one up at my local knife place a while back. I bought one of the KOTM blue handled versions w/ the green backspacer. It's larger than most knives I will carry on a day-to-day basis, but I really liked the design, and I wanted to snatch up the one KOTM that was allotted to this dealer. I like the shape of the blade a lot, and the design of the handle is nice and thin, wothout feeling like it disappears in my grip. Also, this was one of the first Benchmades I've handled in some time that had excellent grinds and was shaving sharp out of the box.

As for being a "deep pocket carry" knife, I just don't see that. I suppose it's better than some clips that expose way too much handle- but when I think "deep-carry" I think of the clips on knives such as the Gerber Covert or the clip on the Al Mar SERE 2000, EDI Genesis series, etc. Heck- even my mini AFCK carries deeper than the 940. (just barely) I guess that's up to the individual though.

Anyway- great knife, and the AXIS lock is buttery smooth. Glad to see the knife companies trying some new stuff- black G-10 only goes so far with me.

Hmmmm... maybe I need one of the green handled versions as well...

Firebat

Balisongman,
It's almost exactly the same size as a mini-AFCK. I've got a blue 940 and 710HS on me right now, so let me pull out the tape measure.
Handle closed: 940 4 3/8+" 710 4 15/16"
Handle to tip: 940 3 3/8" 710 3 7/8+"
+ means add 1/32", I didn't spend alot of time on this
smile.gif
About 1/2" difference in the handle and blade respectively.
Great little knife, haven't heard of anyone being disappointed in one yet.

Back