Benchmade at 2019 Blade Show

Went by Benchmade's booth at BLADE. Nothing really new that I was interested in so moved on. They had a good crowd of people though. Most were looking at the butterfly knives. Guy behind the counter was showing the Bailout to some others.

Isn’t blade show where knife manufacturers wow the world with new and innovative releases?

Benchmade brings knives that have already been on the market for months now, and a sharpener that nobody asked for.

Why even bother showing up?

wasn't it Spyderco that would show up to blade show and show a knife that was released a year later or not at all?

I know a few knife makers that didn't have anything unique, innovative or new and yet they still showed up...amazing but in all seriousness, we know why they show up its all exposure and profit as it costs very little for vendors.

wasn't it Spyderco that would show up to blade show and show a knife that was released a year later or not at all?

I know a few knife makers that didn't have anything unique, innovative or new and yet they still showed up...amazing but in all seriousness, we know why they show up its all exposure and profit as it costs very little for vendors.
Exactly. A brand needs to at least maintain visibility and not showing up to a major expo show doesn't make sense. I get that people don't like Benchmade's new offerings over the last couple years (I think all the models I've bought lately are olders ones too) but they can't exactly re-invent the wheel or give you exactly what you personally want year-after-year... and maybe they have reasons of their own or just missed the mark a couple times in a row, who knows. Maybe offering more customization features or sprint runs would help alleviate the anxieties of those who need to compulsively buy a knives. I know I'd be happy if they went that route.

I am a Spyderco fan but it amuses me when they release the Endela, basically a Delica that is 0.5" longer, and people *%$# themselves with anticipation. If Benchmade released a model that was essentially the in-between of, for example, a Grip and a Mini-Grip, I guarantee people on this subforum would be ranting about how Benchmade is out of ideas, what a garbage offering, etc.

My time at the Benchmade booth left me shaking my head as I walked away. I spoke to a tall, mustachioed man about any future plans for the Bugout. Such as maybe a super steel variant like s90v and some options for scale materials like titanium or carbon fiber.

I pointed to the success of after market scales for the bugout, but was met with a lecture about voiding the warranty by installing aftermarket scales. Which obviously wasn’t the point I was trying to get across.

This wasn’t one the younger summer intern looking staff either. This was a middle aged gentlemen that was unable to grasp the concept of offering options instead of allowing another company to fill a niche for one of your products.

Comparing this conversation to the one I had with Sal Glesser was a stark comparison to say the least. I left Spyderco’s booth excited. I left Benchmade’s exasperated.

My time at the Benchmade booth left me shaking my head as I walked away. I spoke to a tall, mustachioed man about any future plans for the Bugout. Such as maybe a super steel variant like s90v and some options for scale materials like titanium or carbon fiber.

I pointed to the success of after market scales for the bugout, but was met with a lecture about voiding the warranty by installing aftermarket scales. Which obviously wasn’t the point I was trying to get across.

This wasn’t one the younger summer intern looking staff either. This was a middle aged gentlemen that was unable to grasp the concept of offering options instead of allowing another company to fill a niche for one of your products.

Comparing this conversation to the one I had with Sal Glesser was a stark comparison to say the least. I left Spyderco’s booth excited. I left Benchmade’s exasperated.

You cant possible compare sal glesser to some random no names at the benchmade booth.

You cant possible compare sal glesser to some random no names at the benchmade booth.

That’s fair. I guess my point is that excitement breeds excitement. Obtuse condemnation breeds condemnation.

Stocking your booth with people excited to talk about the products they make/sell should be the obvious standard.

That’s fair. I guess my point is that excitement breeds excitement. Obtuse condemnation breeds condemnation.

Stocking your booth with people excited to talk about the products they make/sell should be the obvious standard.

Nobodys perfect but I do agree they should have knife enthusiasts pushing products and not bean counters but that's what's awesome about having someone like sal behind the scenes he has the passion that many lack.

Back