Benchmade Axis Lock, Aluminum vs. G10

If I am collating the various snippets of information correctly, sounds like the BM710 pre-production run has gone out to the retail storefront-style knife dealers, with the shipments to all our favorite online dealers not scheduled to occur 'til early next year... have I got this right?

Sounds also like those who are saying "I picked one up from xyz store and it's marked ###/500" are getting the Aluminum-handled version, yes? I read that the design was originally done in Aluminum, but the marketing department requested G10 handles for future production runs (and bless their pointy little heads, for I have developed a love/hate relationship with Benchmade's Aluminum handles, depending on temperature/humidity/planet-alignment, etc, vs. a much more positive, healthy, love/love relationship with their G10 handles).

Is it fair to assume that all of the 500 knives in this first "pre-production run" are the Aluminum-handled ones? Does anyone have some authoritative light they can shed on this?

I'm eagerly waiting to get my hands on a 710BT with G10 handles, to see if said hands agree with everyone else's glowing reports...

Heh, it should contrast nicely with that plain edge, black blade, clip point, splash-handled (green with blue/green/purple speckles, please) Mini-SOCOM that I find myself really needing
smile.gif

--Carl

Carl, you are right, the first 500 are serialized xxx of 500, marked "pre-production" and are aluminum handled, plain edge, and black-coated, are were sent out to the retail dealers.
I picked one up last weekend and am very impressed: after taking a beating in recent months with regard to inconsistent quality, Benchmade is making an effort to get these new knives right. The Axis locking mechanism is a better idea and Benchmade, with exclusive licensing rights, has a surefire winner here.
BTW, the aluminum handles on these 500 pieces are not the same, gritty, chalky finish as previous Benchmades. These feel really good; a good compromise between the silky feel of Microtech and a slightly more textured finish for grip, but this time without the scratchy feeling.
A thread on the Benchmade forum has 7 posters to zero in favor of the aluminum over the production G10 version. The aluminum handle is also thinner (more pocketable) than the G10.
Inspecting the rear of the blade on my 710 shows a high polish on the edge over which the roller lock traverses. Lockup is 100% tight and perfect, but it is evident that Benchmade is taking great pains to make sure this knife works. It is smooooooth, and it appears to me to be hand fit to get the smoothness and perfect lockup. So the question remains if this lock can be mass-produced without problems, if indeed it takes a craftsman to get it right. Just my conjecture.
This knife is the start of something big!

All I have to say since I was the originator of the informal survey at the BM board is...........

ALUMINUM! ALUMINUM! ALUMINUM!

But is anyone in Oregon listening? ;-)

--dan

I hope somebody at Benchmade does listen...to distribute a small lot of aluminum handled Axis lock knives, only to make the production units from G-10 is well kinda like the AFCK "M2 for the few us" fiasco. I also have seen aluminum handles that were not to my liking from Benchmade, but overall I would prefer to have the aluminum over G-10. Oh well...by the way, does anyone know where you can still get a pre-production Axis from?

I just picked up a pre-production 710BT, and I am looking forward to getting a G-10 regular production knife. The Al on mine does have that old chalky feeling that I never liked, and the G-10 handle will allow for rounding the edges the way I like, even filing down that peak at the end of the thumb ramp if I really get a bug up my wazoo about it.

Harv

i also recently purchased a BM 710BT with the aluminum scales. the aluminum on mine also has that "chalky" feel. no big deal, because i like that feel. i was just curious if they also made some that are not chalky? it seems that some people are reporting that their 710BT aluminum is smooth.
i will probably buy one of the G-10 versions also, so that i can carry one clipped to each front pocket. as for my aluminum preproduction model - i am going to use the heck out of it!
the place i bought mine from had them reserved before they even got them in. these are probably going to be hard, if not impossible to find.

marco

If anyone is looking for one I have a couple of places to suggest looking. Just drop me an E-mail. Nick

I have a question: does the difference between aluminum or G-10 with liners (titanium?) translate into any difference in structural stength? Like, for prying open a window, or similar activity? (not that I'm planning on any burgling, I'm just curious). Also, I understand that the G-10 models have the thumb-stud moved in closer to the handle (as seen when blade is open) to provide a shorter opening arc. Is this correct?
I too like to file down the G-10 edges to a "custom" feel, and it also seems like the G-10 model, being thicker, will fill the hand a little more as well - if the aluminum handle is thin, doesn't that comprimise it's suitability as a fighting knife? Although it sounds like BM should have left the handle-ridges out of the G-10 model, apparently they look kinda dorky . . . thoughts, anyone?

Well I hadn't seen an Axis Lock since the Blade Show, but this last weekend I meet Dexter Ewing and he showed me his Axis Lock. It is the G-10 version, and at first glance I thought it was an aluminum one. It is still one very solid feeling knife. The grooves in the G-10 are nice. I thought they looked good. I'm not too concerned with getting an aluminum handled Axis Lock any more. I just want an Axis lock! He also told me about some future Axis Lock knives down the road, but I don't know if I can discuss them. It must be tough to be Dexter, getting to evaulate all those cool knives. If ya ever get the chance to meet Dexter, do it. It was very nice getting to talk to him, and pick his brains about knives.
Blades

Fishface - the thumbstud was moved in closer from the earlier prototypes. The pre-production aluminum handle knives and the production G10 all have the relocated thumbstud. The liner on the knife is stainless steel, and is thicker than on the AFCK by at least 50%. The thick liners reduce handle flex to nil. Steel was used probably to better support the axis lock itself, as the roller lock rides in the slot supported by the liner. The thick liners also add weight, of which some posters complain, but the weight of even the largest pocket folders never seem to bother me. I am more concerned with size than weight. The 710 with aluminum handles is a thin, but not too thin, design that sits well in the pocket. The G10 I think is slightly thicker. The aluminum handles are not so thin, however, to be a problem in tactical use, IMO.

Fishface - the thumbstud was moved in closer from the earlier prototypes. The pre-production aluminum handle knives and the production G10 all have the relocated thumbstud. The liner on the knife is stainless steel, and is thicker than on the AFCK by at least 50%. The thick liners reduce handle flex to nil. Steel was used probably to better support the axis lock itself, as the roller lock rides in the slot supported by the liner. The thick liners also add weight, of which some posters complain, but the weight of even the largest pocket folders never seem to bother me. I am more concerned with size than weight. The 710 with aluminum handles is a thin, but not too thin, design that sits well in the pocket. The G10 I think is slightly thicker. The aluminum handles are not so thin, however, to be a problem in tactical use, IMO.

Back