Benchmade Axis Lock closing question

Hi all, just picked up an Osborne 940 and it's my first Benchmade. I have noticed that when I close the knife by actuating the lock and flipping it closed, the blade tang invariably bounces off of the stop pin. If I'm not diligent about when I release the lock, the blade may bounce back open. Even releasing the lock in time to prevent this, I notice that the blade will bounce some. It will close, but it's apparent that there is some "slap back" of sorts.

Is this a normal thing with the Axis Lock or user error? It feels like the lock springs aren't strong enough to prevent the rebound so I've considered sending the knife in to Benchmade but if it's simply a characteristic of the Axis Lock, I'll deal with it. I've adjusted the pivot screw so the blade will drop freely with minimal, if any, blade play. Other than that, what an awesome little knife!

Depends how hard you are flicking it closed brother.
Just tried 3 of my 940's and they'll all do the bounce if I really flick it closed hard.
Try closing it a little easier......it might bounce a little, but will wind up in the closed position.
Yours sounds about normal to me.
How bout tightening the pivot a TINY bit?? Might slow the action a bit to make it bounce less.
Also......no pics?????? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!
[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
Joe

I don't give it much action when closing it. Even if I let gravity do all the work, there is still some minor reverberation. I've played with the pivot and even if it's tightened so the blade won't fall by itself there's a little bounce when closed with a flick.

I'm interested in hearing from those with experience eith the Axis Lock. Is what I'm experiencing typical? It seems there's some finesse involved with the closing of my 940 and I found that a little surprising considering how much the lock has been positively received over the years.

The Axis Lock should exhibit some tension on the blade when closed. Of course, if you are holding the lock open, it can't exert that tension. For my BM's, you have to get the timing right: 1. depress lock 2. swing closed 3. release lock. If you don't time the transition from 2-3 (if you are still holding the lock open after the blade is completely closed) there is a bounce. Once you get the timing right, it shouldn't happen. However, I often don't pay attention when slinging the blade closed, and sometimes still get the bounce.

You might also make sure both your Omega springs are in tact.

It really is mostly a matter of timing and technique, as Joe and Scott indicated. Vary the angle at which you hold the knife when closing, horizontally and vertically. Give your wrist a little roll while the blade swings closed, release the lock at just the right moment, and you'll have it. My BMKs are all free-droppers and the trick is to slow the blade a bit while closing. Despite being well practiced, I'll still get a bit of a bounce sometimes. It's inevitable and the price for having a well-tuned and smoothly operating AXIS lock knife.

yup

stronger springs

I have stronger springs in my 710 than the ones in my Griptillian.

Hey . . . you want to trade your weaker springs for my stronger ones ?
I am mostly kidding. I do prefer the lighter pull of the slider in my Grip to the harder pull of the 710.

Heck . . . I don't know . . . I'm not a hard flicker and I still get the bounce thing while working and only half paying attention. When I am on the couch and just flicking all is sweetness and light.

Moral of the story : Don't got to work; stay on the couch.
There are a few details I need to iron out in that strategy but . . .

I think my question arises from the fact that with my 940 even a soft, light close produces a small amount of "chatter" as the blade comes home. If this is normal , then I'm ok with the action. If the blade is supposed to seat firmly most times then perhaps I need to have Benchmade look at it. I did a good amount of googling as well as watching some vids on YouTube (hard to tell the result) and don't really see much mention of it. Perhaps I'm being overly observational.

The 'chatter' is totally normal and nothing to worry about brother. With the lock held open there is nothing holding the blade in one spot.
Don't fret!!! When you hit your 5 millionth flick your timing will be perfect!!!
The knife is fine.....enjoy it! It is an amazing knife!

And Bagger!!! Once you get the 'couch' thing ironed out.......please let us know!!
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Joe

The couch thing comes around by itself with age. First you become less useful, so the opportunities to arise become fewer. Eventually, you just can't get up anyway. Make sure to have your knives nearby as you approach the final stages so you're prepared.

Back on point, I think your knife is fine, you just need to get your technique down. There's a sweet spot in closing where release of the lock barrel will draw and hold the blade closed. As has been mentioned, depending on the situation YMMV

Thanks for the replies, all. I appreciate the feedback.

If the blade closes with any velocity at all, there is a little chatter when it seats in the grip. It seems, however, this is normal for Axis Lock equipped knives so I'm satisfied. I don't get a rebound significant enough to defeat the closing of the knife unless I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing.

All-in-all, I can't say enough about the 940 as an EDC knife. It's replacing a Spyderco Dragonfly I carried for years but I've always wanted a heftier blade. The 940 is a perfect balance between blade length and pocketability, in a very elegant design. YouTube's Wranglerstar sold me on the design through various videos. I only wish I'd bought one years ago!

Glad we were able to put your mind at ease RS!!
Now go cut some stuff and enjoy that gorgeous blade!!
PICS!!!!!
[emoji51][emoji51]
Joe

Here are 3 of mine! Have a couple more, but my sticky fingered sons 'borrowed' them!!

73b80bc8e1c38928998b2f38cc1d4b35.jpg

Its been awhile since I handled a 940, but the Axis on my Bedlam and my brothers Rift close in a similar manner. You only need to pull the bar back just about half way to get the blade to start to fall. With a little practice, itll ride the Axis bar all the way closed niceand smooth. When you pull the axis all the way back or more than is necessary, it will swing freely and while easy to close, it is much more likely to bounce back.

Find where it breaks and your 940 will close like a dream.

Last edited:
Glad we were able to put your mind at ease RS!!
Now go cut some stuff and enjoy that gorgeous blade!!
PICS!!!!!
[emoji51][emoji51]
Joe

Here are 3 of mine! Have a couple more, but my sticky fingered sons 'borrowed' them!!

73b80bc8e1c38928998b2f38cc1d4b35.jpg

Nice....:D
I need to throw a lanyard on mine.

I know this thread is old but just thought I'd add that some axis knives could have a metal backspacer and if you don't have the timing down right and let go of the axis lock bar before it bounces into it you could get a chip in your blade. I speak from experience and because of this I think I now prefer spyderco's compression lock as by design this can't happen.

I know this thread is old but just thought I'd add that some axis knives could have a metal backspacer and if you don't have the timing down right and let go of the axis lock bar before it bounces into it you could get a chip in your blade. I speak from experience...
Hmmm. I also speak from experience and absolutely none of my Benchmade knives have ever had the blade chip when closing, metal backspacer or not.

Hmmm. I also speak from experience and absolutely none of my Benchmade knives have ever had the blade chip when closing, metal backspacer or not.
Can any of your Benchmades make contact with the backspacer though if you hold back the axis lock and close the blade past the point where the bar would normally stop it?

I have always applied equal tension to both sides of the lock to start closing it, and push the back of the blade against my leg while releasing the lock to finish closing it. Flicking it closed was too much of a pain to get the timing correct. If you rotate your wrist as you close it so the pivot is at the top, gravity does the job too.

No because the tang still contacts the lock bar. The axis bar can't be pulled back far enough.

Weird. My griptilian had the gfn handles but the knife would be able to over travel and hit them. The way I found out was because the blade actually became dull when I had hardly cut anything, and it made a distinct metal on plastic sound. I can actually see cuts into the metal bar that protrudes out of the g10 piece of the backspacer of the valet which actually rolled/ chipped the edge where the metal bar is. Perhaps you have different models?

Back