Benchmade BM970

Hi all. I was given this knife as a gift and really know very little to nothing about it. Can anyone tell me about it. I am pretty sure that it is discontinued and that is about all I know.

Thanks for any information!

Ron

This is small?? It seems fairly large to me:). I have carried the Spyderco Para Military and this one seem larger that that one. Right now I am carrying the BM Mini Barrage which has taken the place of my Spyderco Caly3, at least for the time being.
Anyway, thanks for that info. Any more?

Thanks, Ron

it was the BM version of the emerson CQC7 made before ernie opened his knife company, they were very close to the EKI version but were tip down vs up and ATS34 vs 154CM steel, and not waved of course.

disco'd in about '98 or so and replaced by the BM stryker.

if in LNIB shape they are fairly collectible.

the 970 blade was 3.3" or so and the longer 975 was 3.8" IIRC.

Thanks SIFU1A. When you say collectible, if I decided to sell it, where would I start in price? I really don't think that I want to sell it though.

Thanks, Ron

it was the BM version of the emerson CQC7 made before ernie opened his knife company, they were very close to the EKI version but were tip down vs up and ATS34 vs 154CM steel, and not waved of course.

disco'd in about '98 or so and replaced by the BM stryker.

if in LNIB shape they are fairly collectible.

the 970 blade was 3.3" or so and the longer 975 was 3.8" IIRC.

also, I think there were torx screws rather than phillips on the BM version.

torx screws on the BM is right, the blade grinds are also just a little bit different IIRC,

if its a std 970 (not a ti carbide blade or something like that) in LNIB shape i would say $150 to $200 or so, if its a plain edge, a part serrated would be a bit less, coated blade maybe a tad more, the ti carbide ones are really rare and can bring $300 or more, might could get a bit more on ebay too but ya have to pay them a %.

I still have a 970 left here on the desk. It's a 970HK version with a USP etching on the blade.
(It's got a small scratch on the blade though) :(
They sure were popular when they came out with that design.

That was my grail knife at 16. I handled one in a cutlery shop that cost $250 IIRC. It was the combo edge Ti blade with carbide edge. It influenced my hard on for all things chisel ground tanto.

BMCQC7.jpg

It was my first folder from BM - and I still use it. The picture is of its bigger brother I think.

Resurrecting an old thread..... how do you identify the Ti Carbide bladed versions of the BM970? Anyone have a photo?

Back