Benchmade Crooked River folder

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just got this in, so here's some initial thoughts regarding this folder.

In the looks department it has some bling, not heavy but enough to make you take a second look, that along with the shapely flow of the handle and how the g10 scale meets up at a point with the bolster, nice touch there. Also please note that the presentation side (for right handers that is) you see that the screw heads are on the clip side while the smooth ends are on the presentation side, adding to that finished look.

The blade, she's big and bold to be sure, my pet peeve has always been the sharpening notch before the edge, here they set it at an angle so material that does fall into there will slide up and out, better than just a straight up and down sharp corner. The finish of the blade appears on the rough side, not a stonewash finish, but it's in the Hunt series of their new line so it's meant as a field folder, even if she's cute. The bevels are fairly even and quite toothy on arrival, I am holding off on sharpening this 4" long S30v blade until it needs it. Measured at the top of the current edge bevel is about .025" not super thin but fairly thin on such a large blade.

The Axis lock is the familiar lock, works flawless on this with it's bronze washers, no ball bearings in there, but it's smooth opening, solid lockup and easy to close. For those that are concerned with such things, the blade is nicely centered when closed.

The bolster is aluminum, Ti would have been nicer but probably unnecessary as the frame takes the brunt of the work of the folder, but it's nice to have a bolster on there instead of all g10 scale. The handle measure about 5 3/8" long, pretty long with plenty of ways to grip, as there isn't any heavy finger grooves to prevent that, but the guard serves well in keeping digits from being separated from your palm.

This has an orange g10 back spacer, some may dislike it, others will love it, myself, I can take it or leave it as my hand covers it in use I don't see it so it matters not to me. The way it's machined doesn't give any hotspots that I can tell so far, not sure just why it has a sprocket looking teeth on there but again, it isn't in the way for me. The g10 scales are smooth, a little more texture would have been handy, but might have taken away from some comfort/feel that the knife has.

The split arrow clip works well, I am looking to get one of the deep pocket carry clips in, but this works great. I've added one of my diamond knot paracord lanyards on there, the celtic bead slides up to your wrist to act as a keeper during use, very secure.

Here are some images taken tonight;

CR_Stetson.jpg~original

CR_Clip.jpg~original

CR_partial.jpg~original

Nice swedge on there too, many compare this to the Buck 110, I can see it but it's still it's own style too.

CR_Open.jpg~original

and a shot showing it along side my Case mini copperhead, good companion folder to go with it's larger friend :)

CR_Case.jpg~original

It's knocked out the folder that was taking up room in my right front pocket, for how long? that's hard to say as I do go through knives far too quickly, hoping this one sticks around a while.

G2

Very nice review and very good photos. Thanks for the nice review.

Thanks guys got the deep pocket carry clip looks great
G2

Pictures my friend, we need pictures with the deep pocket carry clip.

Here's a shot of the deep pocket carry clip, on arrival it wasn't that strong of retention, so I spun it around, screwed it down and then bent it some more over the end of the handle, using the screws to hold it in place, I can not condone this procedure as I'm sure it breaks some warranty some how, but now it has better retention strength. Using the screws to hold it in place, I used my hand to bend it a little further, that way I did not have to use any pliers on the clip that might otherwise mar it.

CR_deep_clip.jpg~original

CR_stuck.jpg~original

and no, I did not throw the knife into the end of that post, just rotated it for a better view in photoshop :)
G2

Here's a shot of the deep pocket carry clip, on arrival it wasn't that strong of retention, so I spun it around, screwed it down and then bent it some more over the end of the handle, using the screws to hold it in place, I can not condone this procedure as I'm sure it breaks some warranty some how, but now it has better retention strength. Using the screws to hold it in place, I used my hand to bend it a little further, that way I did not have to use any pliers on the clip that might otherwise mar it.

CR_deep_clip.jpg~original

CR_stuck.jpg~original

and no, I did not throw the knife into the end of that post, just rotated it for a better view in photoshop :)
G2

Hi Gary, you need to throw that knife and show us how good this BM is. Make like James Coburn in the magnificent seven and throw the folder:D. And of course pictures after that.

Great movie right there, neat scene...he did give that guy more than enough of a chance to stop that silly contest...and no, I'll not be throwing this :)
G2

edited to say Thanks MadMax, she's a cutie for sure and man she cuts!

Nice review Gary...I love mine. It's a great design for a hunter/camp utility folder.

Back