Benchmade HK 14255 "Evil slicer" and a over achiever (Pictorial review..)

I wanted to give a little review on a knife that I loved the looks of but wasnt sure how it would perform. I am talking about the Benchmade HK 14255 SBT. I first saw this knife years ago in the BM catalog when I purchased a BM HK 14210 and was very impressed with its build quality but since have grown to love larger EDC so I popped for a new 14255 I saw at a good price. The BM HK 14255 is a premium Benchmade knife designed by Snody.

BM.jpg

Out of the box the 14255 is wicked looking. Pure evil and menacing. I have a lot of knives but this design will scare women and small children.:D
The dimensions are very similar to my BM 950 Rift except the 14255 has a noticeably thicker blade. I am not sure but I think the HK Benchmades have a higher fit and finish to them. The 14255 came hair popping sharp. Probably the sharpest production knife I have ever seen. The point of the tanto blade is extremely sharp. This is a weapon as well as a cutting/slicing machine.

BMcombo.jpg

The blade design is strange but very effective. You would think it would be a compromise for a EDC but I found it to excell in all my cutting tests. It has three separate areas on it for different cutting tasks. I would call it a heavy duty design but slices better than any blade I have owned that was this thick. I dont normally like a serrated blade but on this tanto design with the recurved blade shape, it works very effectively. It cuts through thick rope and tow straps better than any blade I have, hands down. There is also times where a serrated blade is superior in dressing a deer. I will spare you the details. The front part of the tanto works great for fine cutting tasks and the point of the blade is very pointy (exacto knife pointy). The point where the two cutting edges meet slices effortlessly through leather. I put a old piece of horse hide on a cutting block and pulled the blade across it. It will pull-cut like a razor blade.

Combo2.jpg

The pillar construction is beefier than the 950 Rift with polished stainless steel liners. The inside and sides of the liners are polished to perfection. These are the little things that I dont always see on other BM knives.

BMpillarcombo.jpg

The G10 handle has a nice checkering on it and the combination of the finger choil and the excelent blade jimping are perfect. Very similar to my Strider SNG CC. This is saying a lot. The balance of the knife if right there.

BMhand.jpg

I mentioned that the blade is thicker than the 950 Rift and rockets out of the handle. Super smooth action with perfect blade centering. No blade play in any direction. Even when I really push on the knife in all directions, I cant get any movement.
Tribladethickness.jpg

BMrift.jpg

Like many great knives, Benchmade has discontinued the 14255. If you are looking for a cutting,slashing, stabbing EDC that will intimidate sheeple, the 14255 is your knife.;)
Its fit and finish is excellent with one hand lightning fast deployment and solid lock up. The more I use this knife the more I love it. It carries well and feels over built. Its fast and satisfyingly fun just to flip. You can still find these gems for about $110-120 Not bad for a Benchmade that msrp at $190.

tricombo.jpg

Specs:
Blade Length: 3.40"
Blade Thickness: 0.150"
Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
Blade Style: Modified Tanto; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
Weight: 4.96oz.

Pocket Clip: Tip Up, Reversible, Black
Lock Mechanism: AXIS
Overall Length: 8.19"
Closed Length: 4.50"

Last edited:
Nice review and pics!

I remember seeing this one in the catalog a while back. I though the blade shape looked wicked, of course, but I never really gave it any serious consideration due to the blade featuring not one, not two, but three attributes I generally dislike on my EDCs: tanto, recurve, and serrations. :eek: Very cool to know that the blade design is actually quite functional!

Last edited:
I love this knife, the recurve tanto is gods little secret for a truly great tactical knife. Check out the larger Jim Wagner Boker RBB's for another cool iteration of this idea.

Great Review!

That knife has caught my eye too , simply because of it's insane blade configuration. The serrations kill it for me though , so I would have to pick the uncoated , non-serrated.
Great review , by the way.

Tostig

Excellent review. I owned this knife ages ago and passed it off to a friend that was in a much higher speed profession than myself and I have missed her everyday since. Maybe I should just get another? Short of the Emerson Waves or an automatic switch, this knife was surely one of the fastest deploying tactical folders I have ever had the honor of owning. I think that based on your review, I may attempt to acquire a Benchmade rather than the HK, which I previously had. You nailed it completely on this review and I'll be looking to your other post for more guidance navigating the bladed world we inhabit. Cheers.

Back