Benchmade knife gave me and uneven knife bevel

So I recently bought the Benchmade crooked river, I was so excited for it to come. I wanted almost 3 weeks since it was custom. And it came today. When I opened the box it was razor sharp, but then when I was looking at the blade I noticed that on the tip and about an inch down the bevel is deeper than the blad on one side and then I looked at the other side and it was even deeper. It looks like a beginner sharpened the knife. And I'm really mad about this. I spent 359 on this knife. I expected it to atleast be sharpened good. What can I do

What can I do
sharpen the uneven bevels even over time as it needs sharpening?
(presuming it is a user)

If a display piece, don't worry about one side being diferent from the other. People viewing it will never know, unless you have a mirror behind it.

Does the uneven bevel affect the performance of the knife?
If not, don't worry about it. If it does, sharpen and strop it.

BTW, "High Dollar" does not equate to "perfection".
That holds true n matter what the product is.
Even Land Rover, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mercedes Benz, Ferarri, and Bugatti have issued recalls on their vehicles.

Nothing made by "human hands" or designed by a "human" mind is "perfect". "Humans" are not "perfect", hence it is impossible for them to create something that is.
Made by machine isn't "perfect" either. EVERYTHING made by machine has small tolerances to 1/10000 of an inch ot less is specified for each part and every connection point's clearances for lube and expansion/contraction built in.
Tooling and machinery wear. Errors may be made durng the set-up.
"Perfect" is a myth.
Everything is designed and built to "close enough" standards.

(presuming it is a user)

If a display piece, don't worry about one side being diferent from the other. People viewing it will never know, unless you have a mirror behind it.

Even Land Rover, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mercedes Benz, Ferarri, and Bugatti have issued recalls on their vehicles.

Nothing made by "human hands" or designed by a "human" mind is "perfect". "Humans" are not "perfect", hence it is impossible for them to create something that is.
Made by machine isn't "perfect" either. EVERYTHING made by machine has small tolerances to 1/10000 of an inch ot less is specified for each part and every connection point's clearances for lube and expansion/contraction built in.
"Perfect" is a myth.
This helped a bit. I use the knife and on one side the bevel is uneven and the other side is more un even. It's noticeable from distance. Sharpening it is hard. I'm gonna call them and ask if they can give me a new blade

This helped a bit. I use the knife and on one side the bevel is uneven and the other side is more un even. It's noticeable from distance. Sharpening it is hard. I'm gonna call them and ask if they can give me a new blade
Like both sides are uneven. And since I sharpen knifes it makes me mad. And I know nothing is perfect. But it looks like a person sharpened their first knife and didn't know how to keep an angle. Because it isn't even sharp

Ah. The last BM knife I bought had a crappy edge from the factory but once I sharpened it it's been flawless.

That's fairly common for Benchmade. When they make the curve to the tip, they don't rotate the knife to keep the edge the same.

(presuming it is a user)

"Perfect" is a myth.
Perfectly said

The only Benchmade I have that came with an even bevel and a finished edge is the M4 Bailout. That's 1 out of 6.

OP - your first mistake is spending $359 on the knife (I've not been following BM pricing but I remember spending $180 or sth like that). Among all possible issues, uneven bevels are actually the least of my concern. Like another poster said, if it's a display piece, the bevel evenness matters little; if it is intended as a user, soon you'll sharpen it anyway. I'm not giving BM a pass on this though. Less expensive knives like Hogue Ritter RSK have much more symmetric factory bevels.

I've stayed away from the butterfly for about 6 years now. My last was the 781 when it came out. Granted, it was a fine example so they do hit home runs. This is my first time in this subforum in a very long time. I see not much has changed... Prices, quality and fakes are the talk of town.

They are just too expensive for the gamble. Maybe safe buying in store so you can see what you're in for, still costly.

I use my knives. I have an ancient CRK carbon fiber lefty 21 that's been sharped many many times. It looks hardly any different from the new in box twin I bought at the same time. Using and sharpening won't fix a Benchmade grind in under a decade. Cough cough, covering up facts some are... defending they will.

Also, as for display knives. I have those also. No one looks at them but me. Everyone best stay out of my bedroom! They are for my eyes and anyone who I want to show. I, every single time, pick up a knife and look at it from different sides as I open and close it. When I do show friends, they also look at all sides of the knife. Are some here bolting their display pieces down to the table or wall and only allowing one sided viewing...? Very strange what some butterfly folks do.

Basically everyone else does bevels better. Return it if it's too much a bother and move to something better. I have Spyderco, WE, Shiro, CRK, Microtech, Protech, ZT, Kershaw... point made, the post is long enough.

Tldr; 🤮🦋

And with a post like this some folks around here probably won't want me back for a long time. Sorry yall, I'm leaving. Just sharing some passing advice is all.

Last edited:
Back