Benchmade knife

So I'm looking at getting the benchmade X15, and I had a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help out with.
1. Has anybody tried this steel in a knife before? And if so how is it?
2. How neon are the orange scales? In some pictures that I have seen they are really bright, but in some they are kinda dull colored.
So if anybody has a answer to either of those questions, or just a general comment, thank you for helping me with this.

KB3UBW

Maybe this will help you with your second question - How neon are the orange scales? Hope this helps you out.

This is a full-size 551 Griptilian with orange covers. The color you are seeing in the picture is very close to the actual color as it was taken in direct light.

G8d7pxH.jpg

UuzApyt.jpg

It was toooooooooooooooooo orange for me so a couple of days ago I switched in a spare black cover I had.

8ki6bb0.jpg

Last edited:
They aren't super bright. But they aren't Dull. They're actually the perfect medium between bright and dark orange.

However, I would just go with the regular 154cm, it won't rust as long as you don't soak it in water or anything lol.

However, I would just go with the regular 154cm, it won't rust as long as you don't soak it in water or anything lol.

Well, I'm planning on using it when snorkeling and diving as a back up knife, which is why I'm going with the X15 steel.

I think if your useing it in saltwater id look into some of the spyderco salt and h1 series knives

I think if your useing it in saltwater id look into some of the spyderco salt and h1 series knives

This. Pacific Salt is awesome I use mine all the time for when I'll be in wet conditions and also for a lot of food prep. It doesn't stay hair popping sharp for long but it stays "sharp enough" for very long and it gets better the more you use it. H1 steel is pretty neat. A smaller knife available is the Dragonfly H1 which I also have its a great little knife.

This. Pacific Salt is awesome I use mine all the time for when I'll be in wet conditions and also for a lot of food prep. It doesn't stay hair popping sharp for long but it stays "sharp enough" for very long and it gets better the more you use it. H1 steel is pretty neat. A smaller knife available is the Dragonfly H1 which I also have its a great little knife.

I was looking at the salt, but I'm not in the water a whole lot, and I prefer the Axis lock to the lock back anyway.

I was looking at the salt, but I'm not in the water a whole lot, and I prefer the Axis lock to the lock back anyway.

Yeah Axis lock is great I would agree with you there. My favorite knife is probably my 950 Rift I just use my Pacific Salt the most for 3 reasons:

1. I like the notion that H1 steel gets harder and tougher with use. So far so good.
2. It doesn't rust ever!
3. I want to test how durable the FRN handle is after extended periods of use (and inevitable abuse). At first I was doubtful of the Pacific Salt because it has no steel liners. So far its been great.

I say go for the Grip in X15, though. Seems you get the best of both worlds in a slightly more compact package. I think I might have to pick one up myself

Here's an X-15TN Grip (just happened to have this pic handy from another thread):

DSCN9552.jpg

Knife steel seems pretty good so far - maybe even a touch better at edge retention than my H1 knives (though I'll never get rid of any of my H1 folders - they've taken a lot of abuse in the Gulf, Atlantic, chlorine-filled pools, and soon enough, the Pacific).

The finish on the blade is darker than that of the standard 154CM Grip - so that's kind of cool. Also comes with a (I'm assuming stainless of some sort) polished pocket clip instead of the black coated one.

I like it enough that I've not sold it and I really didn't need another Grip when I bought this one.

Back