Benchmade/NRA Outdoors 12720 Stockman

I got this one yesterday, was curious to see Benchmades first step into the traditional market.

Overall Length:6.09" Blade Length:2.59" Blade Thickness:0.079" Blade Material:8Cr14MoV Stainless (56-58 HRC) Handle Material:Black Linen Micarta Handle Length:3.50" Weight:2.50 oz. Bolster(s):Nickel Silver

NRA-12720-1.jpg

NRA-12720-2.jpg

The quality is very high, all 3 blades are hair-popping sharp and all 3 have very strong snap. Also, each blade has it's own backspring, so there is no need for crinking, and the tolerances are so tight that viewing the knife from above, you would not believe that there wasn't going to be blade rub, but no blade ever touches another. I also noted that they have reversed the traditional placement of the Spey and Sheepsfoot blades, much as Buck did years ago.

The fit of the Micarta handles to the metal frame is perfect and the fit of all the meatl parts is also, not a single gap or misaligned piece on it.

The bolsters have that Copperhead pattern style, that covers the sharp points on the back of the blades, making it very pocket friendly. I carried it yesterday working the local elections, and it rides great in your front pocket.

This is my first knive with 8Cr14MoV steel, so I don't really know what to expect as far as edge holding and rust resistance, so I'll carry it and see how it holds up.

My initial impressions are very good, for a sub $16.00 import (China), this knife certainly sets a high mark, so far, it's a real step up from Rough Riders and other imports I have.

Interesting canoe inspired stockman. Thanks for sharing that. Let us know how it performs.

8Cr14MoV Stainless Steel?!?!

Micarta?!?!

Oh, TLC, I'm not angry, just disappointed. Tsk, tsk.:D

Kinda like the micarta on that, it has sort of a wood-grain look. I hope it holds up under your testing..let us know...and, hey for 16 bucks, you cant beat it.

Hey...is my AG Russell Woodswalker with Wood Rucarta (whatever the heck that is) handles "Traditional"?

8Cr14MoV Stainless Steel?!?!

Micarta?!?!

Oh, TLC, I'm not angry, just disappointed. Tsk, tsk.:D
No sweat, I can just see our grandfathers standing in a hardware store at the knife counter yelling DELRIN what the heck is that plastic crap doing on a pocketknife! :D

Interesting canoe inspired stockman. Thanks for sharing that. Let us know how it performs.

Funny you said that, when I took it out of the box, that was one of my first thoughts...is it a Stockman, 3 blade Canoe or Mini-Gunboat????? PS, I forgot to add, it comes with Benchmades "Lifesharp" program, just send it in with $5.00 to cover shipping and they will sharpen it back to factory for free. I can't really praise the edges enough to be honest, this sucker is SHARP!!

Looks very nice, esp. for the price. Just out of curiosity, where did you pick it up?

I actually like the look of laminated micarta, when it's done well. No, it's not stag, but I much prefer it to FRN, plastic, or really cheap, unstabilized wood.

-- Sam

No sweat, I can just see our grandfathers standing in a hardware store at the knife counter yelling DELRIN what the heck is that plastic crap doing on a pocketknife! :D

Maybe they met somewhere mid-Illinois one day back when...

I like the knife and I like that Benchmade is making something "traditional." I've always thought they make a quality product, and it looks like they import (ala their red class) a reasonably-priced quality product also.

Now if they took that knife, made it in America, used D2, maybe a deep brownish-amberish-reddish micarta...throw in a trapper and a peanut...

But, Benchmade never asked me. The fools! The fools!

I have that same knife. I agree, the quality is pretty good. I especially like the scales.

Back