Benchmade Quality Control...

loving the mark gonzales avatar. blind video days for life
We are the music makers, and We are the dreamers of the dream.

While that video was right in my hay day of skateboarding, my avatar is for Hunter S. Thompson, and the journalistic style (Gonzo) that he fathered.

An important thing to keep in mind is that no matter where you start out from on the "what's it worth" scale, that scale is always moving. Costs are always changing. What one person considers "perfect" another will find a flaw. I think that a lot of folks have an unreasonable expectation on many of the products they buy. I also think that buyers remorse often starts to lead people to find greater flaws in the thing they bought. "I didn't make a bad choice in buying this, the company made a mistake, and so its not how it should be. Their fault not mine" We also see it on the positive side. "I spent more than I should have on this, but I need to convince myself it was a great idea, so I'll tell everyone how good thing thing is" Both effects are well studied.

I wouldn't consider benchmade to be a "budget" brand, but I do think they have good products at a price most people can attain, even if it takes some saving up. Consider the other option, SOG started pumping out budget blades alongside their high end stuff, and it kinda screwed them as far as their reputation, which they are having to build back up. Spyderco has walked that line well, and in general been rewarded. But each choice has its cost. Benchmade has made certain choices that have been good for the consumer in some ways (blade replacement) but bad for them in other ways (fewer designs overall, and no incremental improvements.) All made in the US, but at a higher cost. I think too many people feel like they know more than the guy running the company. Maybe its because as a forum we know Sal, Ethan, and some others, but we don't know Les, so benchmade seems a little more corporate where some other companies feel a little more "local" even if they really aren't.

Wanted to check out a 940-2 but was scared after reading countless threads about how the quality control was god-awful. i've owned 2 griptillians in the past but sold them. not because of the QC, but because they're too fat and i didn't like the scale material. that being said, the QC was spot-on for both of those. also, they were both stiff at first but smoothed out after flipping a bunch of times....i've also read threads where people were saying they should come smooth right out of the box or you should send them back, but i knew better and sure enough they got buttery smooth. so everyone saying that was just dead wrong. ordered the 940-2 and was kind of expecting to get a bad one... threads had me paranoid. got it in and it's perfect in terms of blade centering, no blade play but it came SUPER stiff. so i went and typed in "benchmade 940 stiff detent" and found more threads of people saying they don't need a break in period, and it needs to be returned. again, just horrible misinformation. i knew better and sure enough it smoothed out and now flips really nicely. so what's the deal here?? am i just lucky? or are there just haters? i'm not even a benchmade guy (I own mostly spyderco's). has the QC changed? very curious because all 3 BM's i've got were perfect.
i own a 940 Osborne and have had it for a little over a year and have had now problems with it. When i first got the knife it was a little stiff but it did not take long to break it in, i believe that just about any knife is going to have a break in period when it is brand new.

An important thing to keep in mind is that no matter where you start out from on the "what's it worth" scale, that scale is always moving. Costs are always changing. What one person considers "perfect" another will find a flaw. I think that a lot of folks have an unreasonable expectation on many of the products they buy. I also think that buyers remorse often starts to lead people to find greater flaws in the thing they bought. "I didn't make a bad choice in buying this, the company made a mistake, and so its not how it should be. Their fault not mine" We also see it on the positive side. "I spent more than I should have on this, but I need to convince myself it was a great idea, so I'll tell everyone how good thing thing is" Both effects are well studied.

I wouldn't consider benchmade to be a "budget" brand, but I do think they have good products at a price most people can attain, even if it takes some saving up. Consider the other option, SOG started pumping out budget blades alongside their high end stuff, and it kinda screwed them as far as their reputation, which they are having to build back up. Spyderco has walked that line well, and in general been rewarded. But each choice has its cost. Benchmade has made certain choices that have been good for the consumer in some ways (blade replacement) but bad for them in other ways (fewer designs overall, and no incremental improvements.) All made in the US, but at a higher cost. I think too many people feel like they know more than the guy running the company. Maybe its because as a forum we know Sal, Ethan, and some others, but we don't know Les, so benchmade seems a little more corporate where some other companies feel a little more "local" even if they really aren't.
Good points here.

Another truth that most Internet Voices seem to miss is that Benchmade has remained a strictly USA made knife. They didn't farm out production to Asia as KAI and Spyderco did. They don't have low-priced manufacturing to offset an entirely USA made product line. If there are more QC faux pas than their peers, at least they've stayed true to their roots. There is significant value in that. Think about that before you condemn the "Butterfly Premium".

Every YouTube voice that picks on Benchmade QC flaws needs to take a deep breath and realize they're doing what no other production knife peer is doing; making knives where they began in the way they've always made them.

I've been an advocate for original Chinese designs long before it was cool to be one; so I'm not a "Rah-Rah, Buy 'Merica" type of guy. But I have tremendous respect for Benchmade doing what they've always done and that's worth a lot more (to me) than a few uncentered knives and uneven grind bevels.

Good points here.

Another truth that most Internet Voices seem to miss is that Benchmade has remained a strictly USA made knife. They didn't farm out production to Asia as KAI and Spyderco did. They don't have low-priced manufacturing to offset an entirely USA made product line. If there are more QC faux pas than their peers, at least they've stayed true to their roots. There is significant value in that. Think about that before you condemn the "Butterfly Premium".

Every YouTube voice that picks on Benchmade QC flaws needs to take a deep breath and realize they're doing what no other production knife peer is doing; making knives where they began in the way they've always made them.

I've been an advocate for original Chinese designs long before it was cool to be one; so I'm not a "Rah-Rah, Buy 'Merica" type of guy. But I have tremendous respect for Benchmade doing what they've always done and that's worth a lot more (to me) than a few uncentered knives and uneven grind bevels.
I don't know if you meant it intentionally but you have created a bit of a false dichotomy in suggesting that because KAI and Spyderco have used offshore production that they are guilty of "drifting from their roots". I think that factor is irrelevant to the discussion. It would seem to me that so long as a company is doing what they are claiming to be doing, then that should be the focus, not comparing business models. Not to say that business models should not be discussed, but its a matter of place and context.

I don't know if you meant it intentionally but you have created a bit of a false dichotomy in suggesting that because KAI and Spyderco have used offshore production that they are guilty of "drifting from their roots". I think that factor is irrelevant to the discussion. It would seem to me that so long as a company is doing what they are claiming to be doing, then that should be the focus, not comparing business models. Not to say that business models should not be discussed, but its a matter of place and context.
No, not a “drifting from roots”, but a broader sense of the economic realities that each company operates under. I’m not trying to draw any QC parallels between Benchmade, Kai and Spyderco, only a contrast that their economic realities are significantly different due to production cost per unit.

This is only presented to support the false notion that higher price should equal higher QC...that the so-called “butterfly Premium” isn’t a real thing.

Last edited:
Each of us is a product of our own experiences.

I’m not a hater. I carry my 940-2 and like it in spite of its several QC issues. I purchased it from a brick & mortar and the three samples I looked over were more or less the same. I didn’t care, I wanted the knife anyway.

When I sent it in for a broken omega spring, I asked them to adjust for centering, action, blade play. They turned it around quickly with new springs and a fresh uneven edge. The other issues were pretty much unchanged.

I stopped in at the same retailer earlier this week after a long hiatus. I looked at a few Benchmades. The Valet was bitch’n, but so stiff it needed two hands to open. The mini Crooked River was sweet—but the grind was terrible, it had a skish of blade play, and the satin finish was “meh” at best. The Fact did seem pretty locked on, but really wasn’t my thing.

So it seems I’m the internet legend. Whatever. My experience is mine, and I put it out so people can sift through the available opinions and data. As for me, I’m firmly in the “no Benchmade without a test drive” camp.

Like I said, I’m not a hater. I have a Tiachung Spyderco that was a QC dud too. I still have and still carry both knives, but have since become a bit more discriminating with regards to my price/QC expectations.

That was TLDR. Here are my QC duds. (Good lookin’ pair, eh?)

E86FA6B4-D9DC-4F0C-8E48-63EB6BAD7016.jpeg

Last edited:
No, not a “drifting from roots”, but a broader sense of the economic realities that each company operates under. I’m not trying to draw any QC parallels between Benchmade, Kai and Spyderco, only a contrast that their economic realities are significantly different due to production cost per unit.

This is only presented to support the false notion that higher price should equal higher QC...that the so-called “butterfly Premium” isn’t a real thing.
That's what I thought you were getting at. Just wanted to add some clarity to a discussion that often gets muddy.

I've probably had 8 BM knives over the years, including a 940.

None had any issues other than not being very sharp.

Benchmade did have knives made in Taiwan. It was part of their Red Class. I recall the knives being pretty good, but I think they discontinued them in turning themselves into a more premium brand.

Reactions: Mo2
Im a rah rah buy merica guy. Benchmades make great knives. Blems are unavoidable for anyone

Each of us is a product of our own experiences.

I’m not a hater. I carry my 940-2 and like it in spite of its several QC issues. I purchased it from a brick & mortar and the three samples I looked over were more or less the same. I didn’t care, I wanted the knife anyway.

When I sent it in for a broken omega spring, I asked them to adjust for centering, action, blade play. They turned it around quickly with new springs and a fresh uneven edge. The other issues were pretty much unchanged.

I stopped in at the same retailer earlier this week after a long hiatus. I looked at a few Benchmades. The Valet was bitch’n, but so stiff it needed two hands to open. The mini Crooked River was sweet—but the grind was terrible, it had a skish of blade play, and the satin finish was “meh” at best. The Fact did seem pretty locked on, but really wasn’t my thing.

So it seems I’m the internet legend. Whatever. My experience is mine, and I put it out so people can sift through the available opinions and data. As for me, I’m firmly in the “no Benchmade without a test drive” camp.

Like I said, I’m not a hater. I have a Tiachung Spyderco that was a QC dud too. I still have and still carry both knives, but have since become a bit more discriminating with regards to my price/QC expectations.

View attachment 920934
oh, i totally believe that there are QC issues, i was just curious as to why i got 3 in a row (and the only three i've ever had) that were perf. i was so paranoid that i was gonna get a bad one, mainly because i keep getting bad knives in general (just sent back a bad manix 2). i still like spyderco better though, love my PM2 more than all my knives. and gassing hard for the smock to come out. i am happy with the 940 though because it's got no issues and is just a nice design, not sure if it's a $170 knife though. prolly should be $125. it's also interesting to hear that you sent one back and asked them to fix the centering and the gave it back the same. i had the same thing happen with a spyderco i sent back because i stripped one of the screws. i asked them to fix the centering it came back exactly the same, guess BM is no different. kind of a bummer. they did send me 2 pocket clips free which was cool.

I really like Benchmade...the designs, the axis lock, their choice of steels...all that stuff. But, I wish they would come up with a more stout omega spring. I haven't had any break, but I've had them get very weak. Weak to the point of not retaining the blade anymore, especially on my North Fork. It's not really a big deal since I sent it in and had them replaced fairly quickly. It would be nice of they would send them to you like ZT/Kershaw will send out torsion bars. I've heard about guys making their own and I should give it a go.

With all that said, I did send a mini grip in for repair the same day I got it because I couldn't get the pivot anywhere close to acceptable and it was rubbing the liner. They have a great warranty department so I'm taking advantage of it. I still like the brand and I'm sure I'll continue to buy them....even if they are overpriced for what you get (sometimes) ;)

View attachment 920934
They are nice looking, but the problem arises when Benchmade says that they do not "make" factory seconds, not that they do not "sell" factory seconds.

This tells us that Benchmade says that everything that rolls off the line is acceptable as opposed to Spyderco (example given above) will mark a second as such and sell at near cost to recoup funds...

Honesty, integrity and transparency go a long way.

I carry a mini Crooked River. It has very slight vertical blade play. I plan on sending it in to be corrected, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. For a $200 knife, I’ll admit I was disappointed. This doesn’t affect the function in the slightest and I’ve no doubt in the integrity of the lock. Aside from that, it’s perfect (centering, action, grind, etc). BM are a very recognizable brand, to the point that even “non knife enthusiasts” know of them. If your average Joe—not a collector/enthusiast—goes out and buys one, chances are he’ll not ever notice the little things us knife guys obsess over.

I have bought two Benchmades within the last year and both were excellent. I can't speak to their quality before that. One thing that I see other people frequently say that drives me nuts is "it's not a big deal, but a knife that costs $xx shouldn't have this issue out of the box". I don't believe that anything is ever 100% perfect and it is unreasonable to assume that something should be, just based on the price.

I have bought two Benchmades within the last year and both were excellent. I can't speak to their quality before that. One thing that I see other people frequently say that drives me nuts is "it's not a big deal, but a knife that costs $xx shouldn't have this issue out of the box". I don't believe that anything is ever 100% perfect and it is unreasonable to assume that something should be, just based on the price.

I agree with you to a point.

I've owned many Benchmades over the years, starting in the late '90s. I haven't bought one since around 2004, though. I had some that had real problems out of the box. But very few. The majority came very good. Most of the issues were minor, like dull edges. I never had a problem with their Griptilians or axis TSEK. I also never had any problems with their customer service the couple of times I used it (for my first AFCK back in '98, which was so bad they ended up replacing it with a better one.

However, regarding people who say a knife that costs X-amount shouldn't have such issues; if the knife is an expensive one (and what defines 'expensive' differs from person to person, but let's say high end), IMO there are certain, basic issues that QC should catch. Otherwise, the price is too high. I can buy a Victorinox SAK for a mere fraction of the cost, and be concistently confident that I won't get a lemon.

This is NOT an anti-BM rant, as I've never had much to complain about with BM. I'm also not saying that every high-end knife should be 'perfect'. Simply stating that if a manufacturer charges a high price for a knife, that knife should have a higher standard of QC.

Jim

Never had a problem with any of my Benchmades
someone told me this. Then I looked at his collection and I found all sorts of qc issues out to him. Boy was he surprised.

Off center blades. Blade grinds uneven. Lopsided edges that are not fixable, burnt edges, up and down and side to side blade play. Lock stick, broken axis lock springs, uneven and or not flush scales. Poo poo screws that don't have the torx in center, screw heads not round. Same models with some that have locktite and others none. Most of these are fairly common in my experience. Others had Service that was horrible and couldn't fix any of some of these issues when sent in multiple times.

Not everyone knows the common issues nor do they bother everyone.

I like my 940-1 despite the issues. The only one I didn't sell off. But I'll be hard pressed to buy another $200+ Benchmade because of my experiences as well as everyone else's stories without seeing it first hand in person to pick the best example in the litter. My buddy has had a bunch of Benchmades, and some of them were perfect. So I know there are some good ones out there.

Not a day goes by where I don't see someone say something about Benchmade qc tbo. For every enthusiast with an issue there are 100 normal people that won't complain about the issues. That leaves Benchmade no real need to fix anything.

ZT has some issues common to them also. Like Lockbars touching scales or locks unlocking when spine whacked. I still like them and only some of mine as well as a few friends have some that do it.

Spyderco I've only had minor issues I was able to resolve right away. Chipping edges, frayed cf edges, tight pivot. Many others have cupped washer issues, weak flipper detents.

Though I've seen far less issues from these other brands than Benchmade.

Last edited:
Benchmade is hit and miss in my experience. They’ve been consistently inconsistent with their QC, with some models being perfect in every example (never held an Adamas that wasn’t buttery smooth with perfect lockup) and some that are a gamble (Griptilian and 940 centering, pivot, and/or lockup issues are not particularly rare in my experience.)

My advice? Find a local store and see if they’ll let you pick one out. Alternatively, contact an online dealer and ask them (nicely!) to find one that is free of issues. They can be excellent knives when everything is dialed in correctly.

Back