Benchmade S30V?

58-60 is the stated range for Benchmade's S30V. That's not "soft" for S30V. It's pretty typical in production knives. I don't know Buck's range but 59-61 is in that fairly typical area so I don't doubt it. A single point's difference in HRC isn't really significant.

I’ve had several Benchmade models in S30v over the years (still have a couple, to include a clip point Proper like yours) and not had any issues. My biggest issue with the Proper in particular, and don’t get me wrong, I still think it’s a great knife, is the thickness behind the edge. Most of my traditionals with thinner edges in “non-super” steels are far better slicers. I think it’d be absolutely fantastic if it were hollow ground.

Agreed with the others that BM’s S30V is solid. Holds an edge and is not too challenging to maintain. AND, I like way more than Spyderco’s S30V, with which I’ve had two develop rust spots. Not cool.

Spyderco’s S30V, with which I’ve had two develop rust spots. Not cool.
that sucks.
I thought S30V was/is a high chromium steel; well over the 15% required to be stainless.
If Spyderco's "S30V" (note quotes) rusts, I wonder what it really is ...🤔 (aside from the obvious "false advertizing" ...🙄)

that sucks.
I thought S30V was/is a high chromium steel; well over the 15% required to be stainless.
If Spyderco's "S30V" (note quotes) rusts, I wonder what it really is ...🤔 (aside from the obvious "false advertizing" ...🙄)
So you’re accusing Spyderco of false advertising? Sal Glesser Sal Glesser Any thoughts on this ?

I'm interested to see the experts inputs on this. My best guess is I think there's a correlation between heat treat and stainlessness of a particular steel. And my benchmade s30v is a little soft, I'd be willing to bet spyderco runs it harder than benchmade. Which could affect corrosion resistance?

that sucks.
I wouldn't say it's false advertising. I certainly wouldn't accuse someone of it, either. While I'm not a huge Spyderco fan and think most of their knives look the same, I do own a few. And some benchmades. And crks. That being said, I will say this: while s30v, s90v etc are touted as stainless, they are in fact not. It all depends on what you expose them to and how you care for them. I've had s30v and s90v from soyderco develop rust spots. I've had s90v from benchmade develop rust spots, too. It can and will happen depending on exposure, time and maintenance. The only knife steel I've come across that hasn't tried to rust on me is magnacut but I'm sure if I neglected it that it would rust, too.

I have a Benchmade in S30V and I love it.

I'll skip the tedium of discussing perceived differences between S30V heated to 58, 59, 60, and 61 HRC.

Virtually all stainless steels aside from a few outliers will rust given enough exposure. And corrosion resistance in stainless steels can be significantly reduced from high tempering ranges. Larrin has documented this well. I love Benchmade but Spyderco makes a great product too.

Back