Benchmade Safety Hooks?

Any experience with model 7 or model 8 Safety Hook Cutters? Want to at least use them to cut seat belts quickly.

On youtube, It looked like the shorter model 7 cut through faster than the longer model 8's. Seems to have better leverage. Does it? Also the model 7 seems to be discontinued. Is it?

How well does the hooks hold their sharpness? Do you constantly sharpen them? How do you sharpen them? Diamond rods?

Anything else I should know before buying one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. appreciated. Thank you

I have both models, mostly the compact 7. I have one in every IFAK and attached above every seat in the car. Cuts easily through webbing of all kind, in my opinion leverage is not needed, as long you are not an EMT/Medic who cuts through clothes on a daily base (and needs to do that fast, no matter if it is leather or something similar).

I have both models, mostly the compact 7. I have one in every IFAK and attached above every seat in the car. Cuts easily through webbing of all kind, in my opinion leverage is not needed, as long you are not an EMT/Medic who cuts through clothes on a daily base (and needs to do that fast, no matter if it is leather or something similar).
Great info! Do you think the 7 cuts through webbing faster than the 8? Thank you very much.

I've not done much cutting with my hook (a 5) but I do know some people who did a bunch of testing and training with hooks of various types. It seems like its half technique (cut on the diagonal) and half sharpness. In general, it seems like a good compromise to get something smaller than shears, and which may be easier to handle in certain situations, but expect to touch it up after every use (or "session") For what its worth, its a good idea if you need it, but of everyone I know who's done everything from high angle rescue to vehicle extraction, with hooks handy, very few actually used them "in anger", and even then, they could have used something else if they hadn't had the hook.
For me, it seems like a good thing to have if you have a kit or rig that needs a safe cutter, but shears would be too big, and a round-nosed knife would be otherwise redundant or against policy. For example, I do know a few people who carry Z-Rexs or gerber zips because they will cut 12mm rope, and they work at venues that restrict the carry of knives by policy. And if you work ropes, you need some form of cutter, full stop. Deployment and grip are going to be major factors. Can you keep hold of the hook and something else at the same time? Gloves, dexterity, etc.
While "cheap" cutters do not work as well, if the idea is to have the cutter available for self-rescue, then its likely that more cutters could be in more places, than for the cost of the benchmades. (And more willingness to conduct destructive training)
However, again, if I thought I would need a cutter in a particular role, I'd not hesitate to add one to a chest rig, or duty belt. Fine motor control can really go to pot fast sometimes. Really depends on the situational requirements. For example, my 5-hook is in my bigger hiking FAK because its lighter than shears, will do the job of clearing clothing in the case of snakebite or something else, and my SAK or whatever knife I have can handle tape and bandage duty quite well. I could use the knife to clear a pant-leg, but the hook would be more comforting for the patient, or if I'm self-treating, means I have less chance of doing further harm to myself.
Hope some of that helps.

edit: sharpening could be done with green compound on the right diameter rope or paracord, or on a more accurately sized dowel. Fine sandpaper could also be used with the dowel.

I've not done much cutting with my hook (a 5) but I do know some people who did a bunch of testing and training with hooks of various types. It seems like its half technique (cut on the diagonal) and half sharpness. In general, it seems like a good compromise to get something smaller than shears, and which may be easier to handle in certain situations, but expect to touch it up after every use (or "session") For what its worth, its a good idea if you need it, but of everyone I know who's done everything from high angle rescue to vehicle extraction, with hooks handy, very few actually used them "in anger", and even then, they could have used something else if they hadn't had the hook.
For me, it seems like a good thing to have if you have a kit or rig that needs a safe cutter, but shears would be too big, and a round-nosed knife would be otherwise redundant or against policy. For example, I do know a few people who carry Z-Rexs or gerber zips because they will cut 12mm rope, and they work at venues that restrict the carry of knives by policy. And if you work ropes, you need some form of cutter, full stop. Deployment and grip are going to be major factors. Can you keep hold of the hook and something else at the same time? Gloves, dexterity, etc.
While "cheap" cutters do not work as well, if the idea is to have the cutter available for self-rescue, then its likely that more cutters could be in more places, than for the cost of the benchmades. (And more willingness to conduct destructive training)
However, again, if I thought I would need a cutter in a particular role, I'd not hesitate to add one to a chest rig, or duty belt. Fine motor control can really go to pot fast sometimes. Really depends on the situational requirements. For example, my 5-hook is in my bigger hiking FAK because its lighter than shears, will do the job of clearing clothing in the case of snakebite or something else, and my SAK or whatever knife I have can handle tape and bandage duty quite well. I could use the knife to clear a pant-leg, but the hook would be more comforting for the patient, or if I'm self-treating, means I have less chance of doing further harm to myself.
Hope some of that helps.

edit: sharpening could be done with green compound on the right diameter rope or paracord, or on a more accurately sized dowel. Fine sandpaper could also be used with the dowel.
Yorck and Gadget, thank you very much for the detailed discussions. Thanks to the picture, I understand the performance difference between the 7 and 8 on youtube was technique, not the hooks themselves. My purpose for carrying a Safety Hook centers on emergency "vehicle extraction"/seatbelts. Appreciate hearing about other ways the Safety Hook can be used. No way would I have figured out those sharpening tips on my own :)

I’m going to get the 8. Looking forward to working with it. Thanks again.

I bought a 7 Hook through the mail from a Benchmade dealer. It doesn't have an "NSN" imprinted on it. Has anybody bought any Hook that doesn't have the NSN imprinted on it? Thanks

Jimmy from Benchmade, can you please help. Do you think all 7 Hooks should have had an "NSN" engraved on the Hook handle? I have just bought two 7 Hooks through the mail that do not have an "NSN" under the "BENCHMADE" and the the M in their "BENCHMADE" is a butterfly. There's a very small url under that "BENCHxADE" instead of the NSN which says "benchmade.com/pat" Can you please help? Thank you

Jimmy from Benchmade, can you please help. Do you think all 7 Hooks should have had an "NSN" engraved on the Hook handle? I have just bought two 7 Hooks through the mail that do not have an "NSN" under the "BENCHMADE" and the the M in their "BENCHMADE" is a butterfly. There's a very small url under that "BENCHxADE" instead of the NSN which says "benchmade.com/pat" Can you please help? Thank you
These have had various laser marks over the years. The hooks you received are just fine, no need to be worried.

Back