Benchmade

Okay short and sweet. Adamas, Rift, Contego, or Triage. Downsides of each: Adamas=really thick, is it even pockey carryable? Rift= is 154cm a great steel? Contego= the jimping concerns me. Triage= N680 steel... is it comparable?

Why can't BM make the rift in S30V, it would be perfect for me if it was.

Got the Triage and Contego. The Triages steel is great and they toned down the Contegos jimping shortly after it was released. Both are great knives.

I have a mini grip in 154cm and it has performed really well. Gets really sharp and holds its edge well.

Unless you wear skinny jeans, the Adamas will be just fine. I carry mine all the time, as does bladeboss.

If you're wearing skinny jeans, you should stop. :D

I really liked the 154CM on my Rift. If my knife purchase history has proven one thing to me it's this - don't buy a knife for the steel, buy a knife for the knife!

I really liked the 154CM on my Rift. If my knife purchase history has proven one thing to me it's this - don't buy a knife for the steel, buy a knife for the knife!

+1

I have several Benchmades in 154CM, S30V, and D2. I don't see those in 154CM as even remotely inferior. They perform very well and are very easy to sharpen.

Rift is great. Sweet spot size. The recommendation above for the Limited M390 Contego is :thumbup: if you want something more beastly. Good luck!

Which do you carry more? What do you like better? Which steel is better?

I carry the Contego more often, but that's because I already have a rescue hook on my duty belt. Before I got the hook, I carried the Triage for a long time. They're both very nice knives. The Triage has a edc-friendly size but I prefer the Contegos blade shape and ergonomics. I've got custom scales mounted on my Contego, which are much easier on the pants, than the stock scales. I just wish it was tad smaller. I like the Triages multifunction role and the fact that it has a lanyard hole.

Regarding blade steel, the N680 takes a sharp edge and holds it just fine, but the Contegos M4 is in a entirely different league. It blows the N680 out of the water in terms of toughness and edge retention. It can be a bitch to sharpen though, if you don't have the right equipment. N680 wins hands down when it comes to corrosion resistance though.

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either knife. I'd recommend any of the two to a fellow knife enthusiast.

Okay short and sweet. Adamas, Rift, Contego, or Triage. Downsides of each: Adamas=really thick, is it even pockey carryable? Rift= is 154cm a great steel? Contego= the jimping concerns me. Triage= N680 steel... is it comparable?

Why can't BM make the rift in S30V, it would be perfect for me if it was.

1- not if you wear those skinny jeans, no. That is why it comes with an optional belt pouch. (CJZ makes me proud :D)
2- 154CM is a good steel, it can do the same thing as "great steel". How do you define great?
3- you might need some calluses on your hands. It's a big knife meant for large hands.
4- what do you mean comparable?

I put my self through the same brain scramble basically debating in my head which model to purchase....I ended up buying the Adamas first , then the Rift, and the Contego last.I like large blades and of the three I carry the Contego the most.I suggest that if you are not sure if you can pocket a larger knife or have other concerns then go for the Rift and you will end up with a generally pocket friendly knife with good quality steel.I have learned there is always a trade off when I put myself though this type of brain scramble and I usually will end up buying them all to find my answers and put my mind at ease..The KW Contego is a beauty!

I have two Contegos cause I liked the first one so much. Maybe I just have insensitive hands, but I don't see how the jimping could be of concern.

I like my Adamas because of it's characteristics, and have no trouble carrying it for as long as I need to.

I like the Rift best out of those options. The Contego is nice too, but it's got some seriously hand-rippingly sharp G10. I like bigger knives but the Rift is pretty much in my sweet spot for size, and I strongly prefer 154CM to D2 (D2 rusts much more readily and I don't have the patience to oil my knife every day). I have no experience with the Adamas or Triage, but I've heard N690 steel can be hard to sharpen.

Just my two cents.

Back