Recommendation? Benchtop Mill Advice?

Fixall

Brian
Dealer / Materials Provider
I've put this off as long as I could, but it's time.

I'd like to pick up a benchtop mill next month. I know, I know... Buy once, cry once... Get the biggest mill you can... Get a used Bridgeport... Etc. I have a habit of purchasing equipment that greatly exceeds my needs though. Now, I won’t go as far to call it a bad habit, but I’d like to avoid that this time. My shop is running out of space, and my breaker box doesn't have room for another 220. Besides, if I was going to go that route, I'd probably just bite the bullet and pick up a Tormach 440.

I think I have it narrowed down to either the Little Machine Shop 6550, or the Precision Matthews PM-25MV. The LMS-6550 is about $700 cheaper. I think the LMS-6550 would be able to handle everything I'd need out of it, but I was hoping for some advice. I had also looked at the PM-727V, but with the most recent price increase, it's almost $4,000 now. Tough pill to swallow.

If I go with the LMS-6550 or the PM-25MV I will also be going with a 3-axis DRO, power feed, and probably a rotary table.

Here's what I'm hoping to do with the machine:

Immediate use - Quickly squaring a high volume of blocks (both composite, and wood) with a 2-inch face mill or fly cutter so they can be cut into scales on the band saw/table saw. Cutting slots in guards for fixed blades.

Future uses - Making pivot collars out of composites, and the corresponding pockets, relieving slip joint liners, cutting nail nicks, and reaming holes.

Other than milling pockets, I think all of that can be considered fairly light use?

Here's how the machines break down:

Little Machine Shop LMS-6550
Based on the Sieg SX2.7 with some upgrades
$2,400
245lbs
19.7" x 5.5" x 11.6" of travel
1 horsepower
.6" end mill capacity
2" face mill capacity
.8" drilling capacity
2.8" quill travel
belt driven head
100 - 2500rpm spindle speed
R8 spindle taper

Precision Matthews PM-25MV
$3,100
275lbs
19" x 7" x 13" of travel
1 horsepower
.75" end mill capacity
2.5" face mill capacity
1" drilling capacity
2" quill travel
Belt driven head
50 - 2500rpm spindle speed
R8 spindle taper

If someone can make a REALLY convincing case for the Precision Matthews PM-727V, I might consider it... I really don't think I want to deal with another 500 pound machine though. 😱

Precision Matthews PM-727V
$3,600
475lbs
15" x 8.5" x 16" of travel
1.5hp
1" end mill capacity
3" face mill capacity
1.25" drilling capacity
3" quill travel
hardened, ground steel gear driven head
40 - 3000rpm spindle speed
R8 spindle taper

Last edited:
I had the Micro Mark MicroLux (also based on the Sieg) and it did most things I needed, after upgrading to a belt drive and piston. I ended up selling it and buying a Shop Fox J head (not a full size mill but close).

I would think the one from LMS would do everything you will need. Also LMS customer service is top notch.

I've had my eye on that Little Machine Shop unit for a couple years now

The DRO is definitely a good choice, just be aware that it may reduce the travel on the y-axis. I have the slightly bigger PM-30MV and the way the DRO scales are mounted, the y-axis travel is reduced quite a bit (I think around 1 1/4", but I don't remember exactly). If that's similar for the DRO on the LMS, the y-axis travel would be around 4 1/4".

My advice is to buy the biggest machine you can. I wish I had more travel in all directions, but particularly on the y-axis.

Performance wise I have been more than happy with my pm-25mv. I don't have anything good to say about their CS though. I had found out my motor pulley was drilled and tapped on the wrong side so the key for the shaft would either slide down or the pulley itself would work it's way down. I called PM and they said I could get a new pulley but since I wasn't the original purchaser I woul have to buy it. It's a $15 part but needed to be shipped from China for an additional $75. Clearly a defective part straight from their manufacturer and they expected me to foot the entire bill to get it replaced. Pretty crappy in my book. I ended up having my machinest buddy square it away for me but it left a bad taste in my mouth about the company. Also, I called the people who make the DRO and that was a trip. Basically a Chinese dude who works out of his home is CA. hard to understand. I never did get any of the info I requested from him a couple years ago. Other than that the machine is a top notch benchtop mill and more than capable for what your going to do with it. I don't think you'd regret getting it. For milling machines, heavier is always better. If you want to be doing mill relieving just get yourself a rotary table right away. It has a few other nice applications for what you'll be want to doing with it also. A minimum 5" machinest vise is a must also. 5" is about perfect on the pm-25mv. Lastly, as always you have my direct contact info so reach out anytime.

I bought the exact Little Machine Shop model you mentioned a few years ago. It's still running great. DRO is a must have (Their DRO display is a POS. I got a $50 kindle to replace it. MUCH better. FWIW I was in LA so I stopped by their Little store and bought direct. They are a bunch of really great guys and I liked doing business with them.

For wood I use a 2" face mill (fly cutters scare me for some reason). That's probably the biggest use of the machine. Slots and shoulders are the second most common. After that odds and ends machining and some precision drilling. I couldn't get the hang of the tapping feature. I don't do folders, so I can't comment on your other uses.

The horizontal milling is pretty close to true on my LMS. That's important because you can't really tram these things in that plane (I don't think shimming the column would maintain rigidity). So the way it comes is what you get.

In hindsight, tho, I wish I sprung for the Matthews. From everything I've heard they are a little more exacting.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I am really leaning towards the LMS-6500 at this point. I'm still giving some thought to the PM-25MV too though. Little Machine Shop gets glowing reviews for their customer service, so that, along with the $700 cheaper price tag has me leaning that way over the PM-25V. I just have to decide if I can do without the extra 1.5" of Y travel. I can't think of many uses I have planned where it would be necessary though.

With the saving from going with the LMS-6500, I'd be able to upgrade my harbor freight dust collector with the Laguna I have my eye on, lol.

Back