1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bends (not Scuba related)

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by DOC-CANADA, Jan 17, 2010.

1. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    In the continuing effort to explore the world of knots, bends are next.

Ashley defines a bend as "A knot which ties two ropes' ends together."

My favourite and most used bend for joining two ropes of equal diameter is the Strait Bend (AKA the Alpine Butterfly Bend, IIRC). This knot holds very well, and still is fairly easy to untie after a load is applied. Both ends can be run back through to make the knot slippery, as well.

[​IMG]

Having said that, I find that more and more I'm using the Hunter's Bend and the Zeppelin Bend. What determines which knot I use, is the ease of tying. Many years ago, I learned to tie the Hunter's Bend, but kept forgetting how to do it, because of the method I learned. More recently, I learned a different method, which is much easier to remember and it improves the knot immensely, for me. Below is the easier method, at least, IMHO.

[​IMG]

Brother Coote has mentioned before, of his affection for the Zeppelin Bend. I also used to find it awkward to tie and often forgot how. A newer method has greatly simplified the tying for me, and now find I use it quite often.

[​IMG]

I do this by first wrapping the end around my left index finger. I then wrap the other end around my right index finger. I then place the loop formed around the right index finger behind the loop formed on the left index finger and proceed as in the picture above. I hope this made sense. :eek:

As for unequal diameter bends, I use either the Sheet Bend, Double Sheet Bend (less likely to spill) or if I want total security, the Double Simple Simon.

[​IMG]

If you stop at step 2, you have a Sheet Bend. Step 3 is the Double Sheet Bend.

[​IMG]

Oh, and did I mention I'm a bit of a whack job when it comes to toggled knots?

The Toggled Bend:

[​IMG]

One last thing, any discussion on bends would be remiss if it didn't include the 'Bungee Bend'. Bungee cord can be problematic in tying knots. This is resolved when using the Bungee Bend.

[​IMG]

Doc

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. chopchop

chopchop

Apr 17, 2009
    I use the zepplin (rosendahl's) bend a lot. I remember the structure by making a 69 with the working ends. He goes under then up and through. She goes over then down and through.

I also like the sheet bend for temporary low tension stuff like pulling a heavy line through an eye or over a branch with a smaller leader line. I also like it because I remember knots in families. If you take a rope, make a loop, then sheet bend the working end to that loop... you get a bowline.

My other 2 favorite bends:

1. Double Fisherman's knot:
    why? super easy to remember and tie
    what for? to join to ends of accessory cord or to make an adjustable loop for a wristband

from http://www.netknots.com/html/double_fishermans_knot.html (link shows animated how to tie):
    [​IMG]
    <added pic & link>

2. Carrick Bend
    why? it's a secure and symmetrical and it doesn't jam, and I can relearn how to tie it by remembering what it looks like before it's set and dressed, and it's the basis for the lanyard knot
    what for? joining two lines that you want to be able to take apart later

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrick_bend

[​IMG]

how to tie: http://www.animatedknots.com/carrick/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

<added pic & link>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Good stuff Doc...I'm just playing with the first one, the straight bend. Nice and easy.

4. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    Good thread.

I like the fishermans knot, excellent for 2 ropes or lines of equal diameter. The sheet bend is great too and easy to remember.

5. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    The Sheet Bend is probably the most used knot for net making.

Doc

6. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    Good point about the Lanyard Knot base. :thumbup: Also the Double Fisherman's makes a very secure bend.

Doc

7. sircantaloupe

sircantaloupe

Jan 29, 2009
    A quicker method for tying the Zeppelin Bend than the B over Q...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7PgfkqskA