Bennett Talonite

Richard

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
This is a Brett Bennett (Kaos here on the forums) hunter. The knife has a tapered tang, dovetailed bolsters and is made of talonite. Handles were very nicely rounded and grinds were as good as they get. It doesnt belong to me but I did get to handle it long enough to get some pics of it. It is currently on its way to its rightful owner. Nice job Brett.

fe24fbd6.jpg.orig.jpg

As a fellow Talonite grinder, I know that was FUN to make!! Nothing is quite as much fun as tapering tangs on the Cobalt alloys!!!!

VERY nice wood, bolsters and overall design!!!!

Neil

Thanks for the compliments, guys.
Neil, I wasn't sure how to grind the tang without my magnet since my grinders are of the 2 wheel variety. After thinking about it, I extended the platen forward, held the knife by the tip and used a push stick to put pressure on the tang. It was the longest a tang ever took me to grind. It was nice not having to deal with heat treating, though.

Brett

Brett,

I find that drilling and then hollow grinding the tang is the easiest way to remove the major portion of the tang material. Then finishing it on the platten isn't so bad. My grinders are also the two wheeled variety. I made a horiztontal platten that mounts between them. I find that Juniper Burl makes a nice push stick, it smells like incense when it gets HOT ;)
If you're not used to hollow grinding your tapered tangs, I WOULD practice on some less $$$$$ material first!! I just started doing this about 3 months ago and SWEAR by it :) It's is also a fast way to RUIN a knife blank, I SWEAR about that too!!!

Again, BEEEEEUTIFUL knife!

Neil

Back