Best all around machete?

Any one use one Tramontina Machete with Poly Handle

wondering how the handle is

I see a lot of people on various forums posting pictures of their safe queens, or 14" machetes stuck in a 4" log, and shake my head. What these guys need is a axe or atleast a hatchet. While I can chop a 8" tree down with my machete, I prefer to go around it if possible. I use a 22-24" blade in my line of work because anything shorter, and your hands would suffer drastically.

I go from this...

1020910941_Q9Xtt-M.jpg

to this...

1020911508_PksoF-M.jpg

and have about 40 more acres of this to go on this particular job.

1020911631_Q8gZn-M.jpg

Last edited:
I see a lot of people on various forums posting pictures of their safe queens, or 14" machetes stuck in a 4" log, and shake my head. What these guys need is a axe or atleast a hatchet. While I can chop a 6" tree down with my machete, I prefer to go around it if possible. I use a 22-24" blade in my line of work because anything shorter, and your hands would suffer drastically.

I go from this...

1020910941_Q9Xtt-M.jpg

to this...

1020911508_PksoF-M.jpg

1020911631_Q8gZn-M.jpg

What brand machetes are those?

Looks like Gavilan to me. Could be wrong. Oh the suspense! :D

Any one use one Tramontina Machete with Poly Handle

wondering how the handle is

I have a couple of them. The handle's great. Grippy and stays tight. Got sort of a reptile scale texture to them. Having said that, I prefer the wooden ones cause you can make wood purtier.

I see a lot of people on various forums posting pictures of their safe queens, or 14" machetes stuck in a 4" log, and shake my head. What these guys need is a axe or atleast a hatchet. While I can chop a 6" tree down with my machete, I prefer to go around it if possible. I use a 22-24" blade in my line of work because anything shorter, and your hands would suffer drastically.

I go from this...

1020910941_Q9Xtt-M.jpg

to this...

1020911508_PksoF-M.jpg

1020911631_Q8gZn-M.jpg

Where are you in this pic? Looks like some of the mess I get around where I live. Anyone who says you can't possibly need a machete in North America hasn't been in my part of SC.

I want them to make a machete version of the Bushman. Or Condor should. They have the ability, and CS couldn't sue them for copyright or anything given that Collins made one forever ago. I was lucky enough to get the chance to handle one. Here's a few pics I was able to snap of it before I had to give it back to its owner. :cool:

collins005.jpg

collins006.jpg

collins001.jpg

Reuben found a maker who makes an entire line of machetes with rolled handles from spring steel while he was in the Philippines. So...not sure the rolled handle in and of itself is patentable anyway....

Also, to the OP: Most of Condor's offerings have fairly thick blades. You might also consider the ESEE Lite Machete. It's at the upper limits of your price range, but probably worth it and then some.

Also, to the OP: Most of Condor's offerings have fairly thick blades. You might also consider the ESEE Lite Machete. It's at the upper limits of your price range, but probably worth it and then some.

Condor has a thin 18" blade machete now: the eco-survivor El Salvador model. 5/64" thickiness carbon steel. And only $20.

Only some of the newer models have thick blades. Most of the older ones are of more typical machete thickness. :)

Where are you in this pic? Looks like some of the mess I get around where I live. Anyone who says you can't possibly need a machete in North America hasn't been in my part of SC.

I live and work in North Georgia. We can go from up and down wooded hills with hardwoods, to kudzu/briar patches on the same property. Throw in the privot (sp?), and you got yourself some machete work coming your way.

I agree that whoever says you don't need a machete in North America obviously hasn't been in the Southeast. Granted you don't need one out West, but here in the South I have encountered property that would mimick South American jungles.

There are areas in Ky that are perfect for machete work too. I first met a machete when my grandpa bought one to take with us while cutting firewood many years ago. He was from England, immigrated to Zambia, then to the U.S. While in Africa, he came to appreciate the many virtues that a machete offers.

My brother and I used to cut firewood all weekend long with him. He'd drop a tree, hand us the machetes and we'd limb it while he was dropping another tree. He'd take a coffee break and watch us work, then when we'd move onto the other tree, he'd start cutting the wood to length. Some of the best times of my life.

I have no idea what the brands were. Usually the cheapest thing he could find at the hardware store or the flea market. Sharpened them on a big 12" grinder he had in the shed. He'd round off the handles so there were no sharp areas and them dip them in red Plasti-Dip.

Until you really use a machete, you just can't appreciate the ease of use and ability of a long, thin blade.

Definitely what started my lifelong fascination with knives, big and small.

I dunno if I could handle swinging an offcentered blade. Condor El Salvador, Bolo, Ontario and Tramontina are all really good options. Svord makes a killer Bush Machete out of 15N20 at around 100 dollars... Kinda depends on how hard the wood is that you will be processing...

I dunno if I could handle swinging an offcentered blade. Condor El Salvador, Bolo, Ontario and Tramontina are all really good options. Svord makes a killer Bush Machete out of 15N20 at around 100 dollars... Kinda depends on how hard the wood is that you will be processing...

I want something long but still tough enough to chop a tree if I have to a 24 inch cold steel latin machete is interesting but it is probably too thin for wood, does anyone have any more suggestions for 24+ inch or longer machetes that hard thick enough to chop into a tree if needbe?

I have a Collins that is very durable, and huge. Costed something like $5 in Mexico.

I have one of the Bark River machetes made from an Ontario, and it is a great cutter, but outside of the price range.

What is that one right on top, to the left, with the poly handle that looks like Pitdog might have designed? That thing is cool.

OP: I've got a Condor Parang and an Ontario Jungle Machete coming in the mail soon that I'd be happy to give you my opinion on, FWIW. There are obviously members on this forum who are much more qualified to give you advice on machete purchases but I'd be happy to take pics or compare the two for ya.

What is that one right on top, to the left, with the poly handle that looks like Pitdog might have designed? That thing is cool.

OP: I've got a Condor Parang and an Ontario Jungle Machete coming in the mail soon that I'd be happy to give you my opinion on, FWIW. There are obviously members on this forum who are much more qualified to give you advice on machete purchases but I'd be happy to take pics or compare the two for ya.

It does look like something Pitdog would have on his side. I'm not sure he carries anything less than 2" wide.

The one that looks like a chef's knife? I WANT ONE. SO BAD. I also want to see one with a 14" blade.

Back