Best angle for sharpening Victorinox Kitchen Knives?

I recently purchased my first pair of real kitchen knives. They are from the fibrox handle series by Victorinox. I am used to sharpening with my sharp maker. Is it better to use 30° inclusive or 40°?

As a rule, use the finest edge angle that the combination of the knife and your use can handle. Try 30 inclusive (if that's the finest your sharpening device can go) and see how it goes. If you get edge rolling, then dial it back a little bit.

Chris

i agree with trying 30 first. Those Victorinox knives aren't left terribly hard, but they seem to have gotten the HT better than other knives in that price range and some that cost a bit more.

As a rule, use the finest edge angle that the combination of the knife and your use can handle. Try 30 inclusive (if that's the finest your sharpening device can go) and see how it goes. If you get edge rolling, then dial it back a little bit.

Chris

i agree with trying 30 first. Those Victorinox knives aren't left terribly hard, but they seem to have gotten the HT better than other knives in that price range and some that cost a bit more.

Both of you, thanks. I will definitely give 30 a shot now. Like you said Vics steel tends to be soft so I was a bit worried about it, but it's not like I'm going to be running them through cardboard.

Yeah Vic steel is rather soft so I go 40 degrees inclusive on a 6" chef's knife. 30 inclusive will cut better but it won't last long on that soft steel

But this chef's knife is at least ten years old so the heat treat might be different on yours

If I recall correctly, the fibroid is factory sharpened at 17 degrees per side. Most knives can take at least a little more than their "factory settings" so dropping the inclusive angle from 34 degrees to 30 degrees shouldn't be a big deal.

Chris

The thing about my old wood handled Victorinox is that it will not hold an edge for ages, but it lacks that seemingly miraculous ability to roll AND chip an edge on the same knife that you see with some of the low to mid priced Henckels knives made form the same steel. ;)

The timing is good on this one, as it's time for me to resharpen the one I got for Christmas (8" fibrox).

All of my cutting is either vegetables or meat only. No bread, no bone. Plastic cutting board.
Home cooking only (i.e. once a day).
Would the 30 degree inclusive still be best, or could I drop it even a bit further?

I took an old Chicago Cutlery chef knife and knocked it down to about 20 degree inclusive. It cuts like it never has before, but i don't know how long it will last before needing a good touch up (or sharpening).
I wouldn't want to take this one to an angle that would "ruin" it.

I would still recommend 30 degrees as a starting point, although it may not turn out to be the best way to go. The finer the edge, the more delicate it will be (duh). The extent to which a knife can take a delicate edge depends on the steel type, hardness, cutting surface, and use. The first three things are easily identifiable, but the fourth depends entirely on you. some people are harder on their knives than others, and the only way for you to know is to give it a try. Go for 30 degrees--if it works out for you, then you are all set, or you could even try going finer. It at some point you start getting edge rolling, then you know to dial it back a little bit.

It is also worth noting that, unsurprisingly, a more delicate edge will not last as long as a more robust edge. Factor this into plan.

Chris

As long as the cutting isn't actually damaging the edge - dings, chips, etc - then the lower the angle the longer the edge will last. Check out Hardheart's CATRA testing (standard wear test for knives; Cutlery and Allied Trade Research Association I think). He shows significant increases in edge holding by lowering the edge angle.

If you're just cutting vegetables and meat, you can go less than 10 degrees per side, as long as you're not using a proper cutting board and not slamming the edge into it. It's amazing how long a low angle will last in the kitchen as long as you don't use ceramic plates or glass for cutting boards. I have a very inexpensive kitchen knife with a 12 dps (degree per side) edge angle and will cut forever, until my wife uses the counter top or a plate as a cutting board, or runs it through the dish washer. I plan on lowering the edge angle more as soon as the mood strikes.

Oh, I see someone has a Chicago Cutlery knife above. That is the brand of my knife mentioned here. No problem in the kitchen with the lower angle.

Yeah, I'm gentle on a low angle edge.
I watch chefs that seem to slam their knife through vegetables, whereas as I use more of a sliding/sawing motion. All of the meat I cut is already boneless (I'm lazy like that :)
My cutting boards are that white hdpe stuff, which I think is pretty easy on the edge too.
I guess I'll see how that Chicago knife holds up before I fiddle with the Inox blade.

I never machine wash, but what is it about the dishwasher that kills the edge? Drying temperature?

It's a pretty corrosive environment, and things bang together. I checked some test cuts years ago just rocking style cuts on a hdpe board no food. No detectable loss in sharpness tested by shaving my arm above the skin.

Back