1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best Axe Edge Geometry?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Iboschi, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Iboschi

Iboschi

Sep 17, 2009
    A while back I purchased two Wetterlings. One 19 inch Hunting Axe and one 26 inch Small Forest Axe. They came with a secondary factory bevel but were pretty darn sharp. Now, i'd like to get them in shape for maximum performance but I've read a few accounts of secondary bevels and also zero grinds on axes. It would seem like a zero grind leaves less material behind the blade and makes for a slightly weaker edge. Should I keep the secondary bevel and broaden it? Make it convex? What is optimal?

2. chenko

chenko

Feb 5, 2009
    I like "zero" convex grind on axes and hatchets, I believe toughness depends on how much obtuse it is, rather than zero or non-zero. I put the geometry on my tools personally, and I have since been happy with the results: last outdoor trip I made I used a lot a small axe I reprofiled, it cut like a knife but even hitting some rocks the edge didn't chip or bend.

3. Snow

Snow

Jun 3, 2001
    I suppose a lot of it depends on what you want to do with the axe and how hard the woods in your area are. Will it be for limbing, felling, splitting, all of the above? I look forward to hearing from more knowledgeable members about this, as I don't know much about axes.

4. Iboschi

Iboschi

Sep 17, 2009
    Although I'll say all of the above, I probably won't be doing a lot of felling.

5. paleojoe

paleojoe

Nov 5, 2009
    The great thing about convex is not just the durability for general use and sharpness, but the versatility in tweaking the preference in edge.

So I'd recommend to try a convex on it first.
    See how it performs.
    If you want it steeper for more penetration or carving, you can always remove more...

6. Iboschi

Iboschi

Sep 17, 2009
    Paleojoe,

Are you recommending full convex zero grind or secondary convex bevel? This knife grind thing sure gets complex!

7. paleojoe

paleojoe

Nov 5, 2009
    Full convex, no secondaries.
    Like a bullet, to a point.

Easy to sharpen, easy to modify or steepen later on if you decide to.

My 19" Wetterlings is full convex, chops and cuts very, very well.:thumbup:
    A big little package! My only problem is the big nob at the head/shaft juncture that digs into the wrong area of my wide palms uncomfortably...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. theamazingdrew

theamazingdrew

Nov 18, 2009
    FWIW i agree 110%

9. TwinBlade

TwinBlade

Aug 1, 2008
    For axes, I like a heavy convex edge with a hollow grind behind it for penetration.

10. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Twin,

The is how the GB Small Forrest Axe comes.

TF

11. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    It does, but the small Forest Axe(and probably most GBs) needs to at least have a steeper microbevel if you're chopping anything much harder than pine.
    I dinged mine up on oak and roots, but it's been fine after making the edge a little steeper. 'Course I haven't been hacking at roots and getting into rocks with it since, either.

12. Stormstaff

Stormstaff

Dec 14, 2007
    I so NEED to learn about all this sharpening lingo and develop the skills too. :(

13. hlee

hlee

Dec 5, 2005
    Maintenance, Tinkering, and Embellishment.

Be careful what you wish for.

14. 11x11x

11x11x

May 21, 2008
    Use it as is. I been using mine and need no alteration. It has worked flawlessly on Hard and Soft wood. On the flip side, I mod'd my Snow and Neally axe, and now it bites too deep. Very annoying to keep jerking it out of the wood.

15. paleojoe

paleojoe

Nov 5, 2009
    Ideal sport grind, I agree Jeff,
    but pretty hard to do on your own, and takes a bit of work,
    esp. for a novice....

16. Iboschi

Iboschi

Sep 17, 2009
    Well, there seems to (as always) be some disagreement. I think I'll keep the 26 inch as is and make the 19 incher a full convex soon after the edge dulls a bit. Thanks for the info thus far. Ya'll are a great resource.