Best Becker Hunting Knife?

Which (and why) would you consider to be the best all around Becker for use as a hunting belt knife? By hunting knife, I mean skinning/gutting a deer, with occasional light camp/cooking use. No log splitting, tree chopping, or cabin building.................

The tweeners would good choices, if you look up Virtuovoice on youtube he uses a BK16, BK17 and a BR gunny on a deer, pretty good demonstration.
The tweeners are a good size to carry around all day on your belt as well.

For me, the BK16. I remove the coating and reprofile the edge. Great for opening and butchering larger game, excels on smaller game.

If I have to cut through big bone, I have a BK9.

BEST would be the 15, but good luck on that. Best currently available would be the 16.

This ^^^

For all but caping, the BK15 is the best for hunting - especially for field dressing, skinning and food prep chores at camp/cabin. If you cannot locate a 15, then a 16 or 17 would be a good second choice with my vote going for the 16 though either would do you just fine.

Agreed 15, 16, 17. 17s are starting to go up in procurement cost, not at the 15s level yet but inching up. I would say go for the 17 while they are reasonable and you can always get a 16 later it's not going anywhere soon. Then score a 15 when you can. Three more Beckers completely justified for your inventory.

I don't have the most experience with this but I think the bk16 might be a bit to big (for my taste anyway). With what little experience I do have, I have always used my bk14. IMG_2821.JPG

For hunting deer I would go with a 14/15 combo. The 14 will field dress better and the 15 can do everything else better.

The tweeners would do - I've used my BK16 quite extensively, HOWEVER those blades are a bit longer than then need to be for game processing. For me the BK11 (or BK14 - if you prefer that handle style) is the perfect blade for actual use on game.

20151106_d0110_zpszgpfq7h1.jpg

I've got nothing against the trailing edge tweener - and it would probably be a delight to use for cutting up meat once the initial processing is done, but it would be horrible for field dressing and sub-par for skinning.

Next time you are up to your elbow in a deer's chest cavity and you are trying to do what you need to without cutting yourself, do yourself a favor and pick a smaller, more easily controlled blade.

I have skinned and gutted a couple hundred fallowdeer, 150-160 wildboars and 10 moose with the help of EKA-swingblades. Really great knifes for that purpose.
Have skinned a couple hogs with a BK10 now and its quite doable(a bit large blade but hey it works)... Just finished redoing the crappy factory edge of my BK16 and intend to use that one when skinning the next animals.

The tweeners would do - I've used my BK16 quite extensively, HOWEVER those blades are a bit longer than then need to be for game processing. For me the BK11 (or BK14 - if you prefer that handle style) is the perfect blade for actual use on game.

20151106_d0110_zpszgpfq7h1.jpg

I've got nothing against the trailing edge tweener - and it would probably be a delight to use for cutting up meat once the initial processing is done, but it would be horrible for field dressing and sub-par for skinning.

Next time you are up to your elbow in a deer's chest cavity and you are trying to do what you need to without cutting yourself, do yourself a favor and pick a smaller, more easily controlled blade.
For an all around hunting knife I still say a tweener, but agree with you in that once you start working inside a deer, the compactness of a 11/14/24 is better.

Back