Best Budget Chef's Knife + Best Beginner's Knife?

I have a collection of Japanese gyutos and a few customs. If you want a usable knife with a decent grind then stick with a Vic.

VIctorinox. Used in and approved for use in commercial kitchens. Thin blade. Won Cooks Illustated's recent chefs knives competition over many other far more expensive Japanese and European competitors.

You can Google the review from people/pro chefs who cut more in a week at work than you probably will in a lifetime.

Easily the Tojiro DP. The 210 mm version can be had for ~$62 last time I checked.

Funny enough, I just sharpened a brand new one (though it didn't really need it) for my brother. The grind is quite good - exceptional, in fact, when considering the price - and they use VG-10 at a good harness.

Another vote for the Tojiiro DP line, I'd add that the handle is very nice compared to other budget knives.

Spammer revived a thread from 2011. Go ahead and voice your opinion on the question if you want, but the OP is long gone.

Spammer revived a thread from 2011. Go ahead and voice your opinion on the question if you want, but the OP is long gone.
People were complaining about it being a necro thread in 2014!

But hey, if we're looking for opinions for those who might come by 11 years after the thread opened: F. Dick, Dexter Russel, Victorinox/Forschner are all about the same and all fantastic for commercial stuff. Hell, I was living in a hotel with a kitchen for 3 weeks on work travel and was decidedly unhappy with the knives available and didn't want to use my pocket knife for prepping veg and protein for 2+ weeks. I bought a $10.00 Tramontina from Wal-Mart and have no complaints for the cost.

Most people think they need better knives when really they just need to learn how to sharpen what they've got. Heck, I know some people who just don't care about cooking at all and use paring knives for everything in their kitchen. Dull paring knives. Then they complain they hate cooking because the prep is too much work...

Try the webstaurant.com website, there you'll see Mercer Genesis knives which are used by students in many culinary schools throughout the US. The Cordon Bleu academy uses them that's saying a lot for their integrity and you might like the prices offered at that website. They're extremely reasonable. This tidbit of information could knock out two birds with one stone so to speak as to answering both of your questions. I've just picked up a bunch of them (Mercer Genesis). Truthfully, for the price of two high end knives I've put together an impressive assortment of knives, including individually sized knife guards and a carry bag for just under $350. They're good looking and well balanced. The handles are made of a santoprene fabric which helps reduce slips from your hand but they have other models that have plastic riveted handles as well. Good luck in your search, but give the webstaurant site a look even if you don't buy a thing.

Peace.

Jorge.
I'll second this. Mercer knives are used in a LOT of commercial kitchens. I bought my housekeeper a set for Christmas and the look and feel stands up to Henckels and Wusthof.

Back