Best compound bow for the price?

Yup I did Mike. Finally. I wish i knew how fun shooting bows was a long time ago. So excited to hunt with it. I am very impressed with the Instinct. My first bow and can't compare it to others but know for a fact it's all I'll need for hunting. Didn't get to shoot a ton cause mostly worked with my dad remodeling hlaf his house and office but got about 20 shots in late on Fri and about 200 shot yesterday.

Heres my first two shots at 10 yards on Friday.
20150814_193126_zpsszjqmsyw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Love shooting this thing. I would have taken more photos but was trying to conserve battery on cell as much as possible. I was very surprised how well shot at 30 yards yesterday. All on the bag from the start and last 6 shots at 30 yards were all bullseyes. My dad was also shooting great too. All on the bag at 30 yds. Went skeet shooting before that too with sister and her fiance. fun weekend. My dad had me laughing my ass off when he tried bringing back an arrow maybe half way back and got away from him flying into the woods. Thought would never find it but wasn't too far away since not at full draw when took off. Super happy I decided to do this. My dads talking about getting a bow now too. Not even for hunting but just to shoot. Hell of alot of fun. I'm confident already that with some more practice before season if I see a buck it's going down.

Heres a view from my tree stand last spring waiting for Tom who never showed up
DSC_0201-1_zpsefbncp0l.jpg

Yup I did Mike. Finally. I wish i knew how fun shooting bows was a long time ago. So excited to hunt with it. I am very impressed with the Instinct. My first bow and can't compare it to others but know for a fact it's all I'll need for hunting. Didn't get to shoot a ton cause mostly worked with my dad remodeling hlaf his house and office but got about 20 shots in late on Fri and about 200 shot yesterday.

[/URL][/IMG]

Love shooting this thing. I would have taken more photos but was trying to conserve battery on cell as much as possible. I was very surprised how well shot at 30 yards yesterday. All on the bag from the start and last 6 shots at 30 yards were all bullseyes. My dad was also shooting great too. All on the bag at 30 yds. Went skeet shooting before that too with sister and her fiance. fun weekend. My dad had me laughing my ass off when he tried bringing back an arrow maybe half way back and got away from him flying into the woods. Thought would never find it but wasn't too far away since not at full draw when took off. Super happy I decided to do this. My dads talking about getting a bow now too. Not even for hunting but just to shoot. Hell of alot of fun. I'm confident already that with some more practice before season if I see a buck it's going down.

Good deal... Looks like you are off to a great start. It really is a lot of fun. I hope you have a great season

This thread has me all geeked up to go. Work's been so busy though I've only been able to get my bow out twice this year. And I haven't gotten into the woods one damn time. :grumpy:

Normally by this time of year I would have been shooting for a few months, but I haven't shot at all...
My shoulder and arm are still messed up, but I couldn't stand it anymore this morning. Drew it back, and instantly remembered why I hadn't been shooting :eek:

All I need to do is shoot a couple times at 20 yards and make sure everything is still on, and I will be ready. I was supposed to go with my best friend on a guided elk hunt
in Colorado the end of September, but not knowing if I was going to have surgery, I decided to let his son go instead...

[/URL][/IMG]

Sounds like a good time!

It has been raining so much here after work that I havent had much chance to get out and do much. Sucks cuz what usually happens is I get my target set up, get the bow out, fire a shot or two, and it starts raining. I have my main stand shot cleaned up and all I have to do now is put up some of the camo 3d wrap around where I will be up in the tree. I will probably be going to scout my second spot next week. I should have done it last week but again, rain. Season opens here in a little over two weeks. Definitely looking forward to it.

Compound bows have a let off of any where from 65-80%. Guys who are shooting 70lbs with a compound with 80% let off are only holding 14lbs after the let off. Those same guys will not be nearly as accurate with a 60lb recurve or longbow. There are sights for recurve bows but honestly for survival bow, stick to the KISS principal. The only thing that replaces practice & experience, is more practice & experience. Shooting a bow without sights is not nearly as difficult as you would think. I had a 35lb fiberglass longbow for years (my wife inadvertently sold it during a garage sale - she's still is not allowed in the garage). I had a dozen wooden arrows for it and I was ridiculously accurate within 30 yards. Never shot it with anything other than field points though. Never shot broadheads with it. Look on eBay and check Craigs list. You'll want a finger tab or glove for holding the string. I never used an arm guard because, IMO, it promotes the bad habit of locking out your arm when shooting.

Last edited:
I know its tempting to add to old posts. But in general its unhelpful, adds confusion, and clutters up the forums. If you have something worth saying, start a new thread, with some new ideas, and even link to the old thread so people can see what inspired you.

As for compound vs trad, its horses for courses. Each has their best use.

Back