Best Damn Folder There Is?

...there are many factors that go into making anything the 'best'...

That being said, my vote goes to the (old style) Spyderco Endura 50/50.

I've been using and abusing mine as a EDC for nearly 8 years now...every task, every day...and it keeps on ticking.

It's got the Gen 1 (G2) blade, and even though the serrations are almost nonexistant now, they are still 'there' and wicked sharp...

Today I 'popped' off metal bands securing four "Huge" UPS's that I wanted to test...these were pallet bands.

The 'new' guy was agast...but my normal partner in crime just laughed.

"How often do you do that" said new guy #112..."'bout 20 times so far" I replied...a few strokes later with the DMT double sided diamond hone and it was razor sharp again...

Within reason, I've truly tried to kill this knife...it's an obsession, and as of yet haven't been able to.

Check back in another 8 years, and I'll give you another update then...

(In all fairness, 1/4 of an inch of the tip snapped off about 7 years ago, I reground it then. It's still pretty clean, and not showing the wear that you'd expect from my abuse..)

In all fairness I have heard rumors that Mo tried to use the tip of his M4 as a jack handle the last time he had a flat and it had to be reground too.

I really do not think there is a "best" folder just a lot of great ones and I think the old Endura (which I consider a classic) as well as the Carson qualify along with many others.

You'll probably get as many answers as there are people who reply.

For custom knives, I would vote my medium Carson M4 and Crawford Shark as my two favourites. I've got other folders but these two get the most usage time. When I get my CF EDC from Darrel Ralph, it may make it a threeway tie.

Man, its like asking if I like blondes, brunettes or redheads. Never could choose between them either....

Andrew Limsk

The Model 4 is awesome, but....

My vote goes to the Terzuola ATCF. Bob brought so many things to the table with this model. It should be called the "Pinnacle" because a lot of knife companies copied bits and pieces of his inovations. To name a few, use of titanium, the thumb ramp, the ambi-thumb disc, among others.

TNT! A great blend of hi-tech metals, fit, form and function. Tom Mayo hit this one out of the park.

I must agree with copfish. TNT's are great. But now that Tom is using Stellite 6k, I think they have to be renamed SNT's

nope,not reground,NEW BLADE :EEK:
(thanks kit!)

marvin,errr...melvin :)p) i agree with you about the spyderco endura and delica...these are knives you simply cannot kill (well,you could,but...)

why is the carson worthy of the 'Best Damn Folder' award?
1.Ergonomic. very comfortable to hold and use.
2.Choice of blade steel. unlike most production knives you can have just about any steel you want put on an m4 (420v for mo)
3.smooooooth...the pivot in my carson is one of the smoothest ive felt.snaps open extremely easily.
4.choice of handle materials. burgundy micarta on mine...stag on my next one. :D anywhere from one of the maicartas ot natural woods,g10,and on and on and on...

im starting to really lean towards customs,becuase you can get exactly what you want,instead of what they give you...

yup,IMHO,the carson M4 gets the 'Best Damn Folder' award.

I'd have to say Terzuola also, I think mine is a TTF-3 & its been my EDC for over 10 years. I've bought newer & shinier since but they always wind up getting put up in favor of tried & true. Its been thru hell & looks it but still locks up tight.

The best folder is the strongest, prettiest, most ergonomic, and most efficient in terms of cutting.

I pronounce a tie in my current selection of folders, the Darrel Ralph Apogee or EDC and the Tom Mayo TNT.

They share:

A strong Titanium integral frame lock.
Excellent fit and finish.
State of the art blade materials.
Good ergonomics.
Excellent cutting edges.

The TNT has an awesome edge on it, but the Apogee/EDC comes with a S90V blade which is stronger. Tom's TNTs show superb fit and finish, Darrel's anodized and milled handles are prettier. One is way strong, the other balances strength and slimness.

They are the best because they are either made better or stronger than everything else.

Honorable mention goes to my Dobruski butterfly knife. It is just as beautiful, strong, and well made, but not quite as ergonomic as the frame lock folders. Honorable mention to the Wood/Irie swing lock folder too. Its only disadvantage is weight and two handed operation.

Other folks make an awesome frame lock folder too, I just have not had a chance to own them. A Ken Onion frame lock Ti folder with a flipper and the Speed-safe mechanism might be THE BEST. I don't know.

The one that I buy right after the next one I get;)

Trying to pick one besst is like picking the best of your children. You love them all.

Way too many to list !

Definite honorable mentions. . .Carson, Mayo, Ralph, Jacks, Chew, Broadwell, Obenauf, Boguszewski, Bradshaw, Pardue's, Centofante, Chamblin, Horn, JW Smith, Corby, Lightfoot, Dake, A. Devilliers, The Vallotton's, Maxwell, Onion, Weiland, Elishewitz, and Dozier. . .just to name a few. :D :D

I find this one hard to beat
onionstorm.jpg

Ken Onion Frame Lock Storm

The Best..
1. Reese Weiland WASP
2. Tom Mayo APD TNT
3. Larry Chew Cujo
4. Larry Davidson DT

Attachments

• wasp02.jpg
    wasp02.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 557
Hands down, end of discussion!!! ;) LOL!!!

curr1.jpg

I call it the "CURR" after our good ol' Florida HAWG huntin' Dawgs :D

curr2.jpg

It's 9" OAL, 4" blade of 5/32" S30V. The frame is .125 Ti.

curr4.jpg

I took advantage of the 30V's toughness and ground the edge rather thin. It cuts like CRAZY!!! The small curves in front of the main finger notch allows the knife to be "choked up" on for precise cutting. The handle is also comfy in the reverse grip.

It's also very, VERY rare...........This is the ONLY one in existance :D

Neil

There's only one problem with that Neil....it ain't MINE! :p :)

Aside from that, I think framelock folders are the best. I haven't owned or handled enough of them to make a definitive judgement. I will say that the TNT is exceptionally smooth and well made, but Darrel's aesthetics are way ahead. That Blackwood though......

Peter,

As far as I'm concerned the framelock is the way to go for a using folder. I designed this one with enough space around the pivot for large bushings. This makes it smooth with no blade play. The lock up is rock solid. I have a small run of these that I'm working on around my fixed blade orders.

Neil

Back