Best disinfectant for cuts in the out doors?

As I mentioned above, Bactroban has good staph and strep coverage.

As far as polyethylene glycol versus something like white petrolatum, the difference is in their affinity for water. Polyethylene glycol is more hydrophilic (water loving) than petrolatum, which is more hydrophobic (hates water). So with that in mind, polyethylene glycol (PEG) will wash off more easily than petrolatum. PEG is a popular drug base because it's hydrophilic nature allows drugs put in them to release better. But then again, sometimes you want the drug to release slowly, so petrolatum would be great for that. PEG washes off easier and spreads on easier as well. But it's less occlusive than petrolatum, which will hold in more moisture when put on the skin. Petrolatum is more protective, and won't come off as easily, but also doesn't let much air in and can be hard to get off sensitive areas. I've also heard that there are some people who can be allergic to PEG. But that happens with almost any chemical in existence.

I don't know. I hope that makes sense without getting too technical. We could add in ideas of lipophicity and electrolytes or polarity, but that's the gist of it.

I think if your not allergic to a disinfectant, then use it cause it's not going to hurt. It might possibly be overkill, but better safe than sorry I guess. The important idea still stands, first flush/ clean the scrape or cut as much as possible with clean drinkable water.

It occurs to me that if you are carrying water disinfection treatments, you could use that same material to make a stronger solution for wound cleaning.

It has been several weeks now since I wounded my hand. It is completely and cleanly healed with no signs of infection. I just followed AIG's same advice to wash it and keep it clean and dry, letting nature take it's course. All that is left now are patches of white scars where red meat was showing.

Turmeric Powder

Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent and hence is used regularly as a disinfectant for cuts and burns.
Turmeric is also known for its use as an expectorant for cough. Turmeric powder dissolved in warm milk is a well-known remedy for cough.
Turmeric is said to have the ability to clear phlegm and reduce spasms of asthma and is hence used as a medicine for asthmatics.
Turmeric powder combined with caraway seeds or bishop's weed makes an effective cure for common cold.
Turmeric is also used to cure stomach disorders. Turmeric is mixed with buttermilk or diluted yogurt as a cure for stomach disorders.
Turmeric paste is also known to have a rejuvenating effect on the liver.
Raw turmeric rhizome juice is an effective remedy for expelling intestinal worms.
Turmeric is also being investigated for treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Read more information about use of turmeric in Alzheimer's disease.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/benefits-of-turmeric.html

If it's a cut I always clean it out then once I get the bleeding to stop I squirt some super glue in there and close it back with a little dab of glue on top of the wound and good to go. Learned this in the Army and it works much better than any stupid band-aid especially for fingers when you need the mobility like around knuckles and what not. They make sterile medical grade stuff for this but just regular old super glue has always worked fine for me with no ill effects.

It occurs to me that if you are carrying water disinfection treatments, you could use that same material to make a stronger solution for wound cleaning.
The greatest name in history. I think I will steal it on some random forum. Can you find me(hide and seek on the internet)

Yes, I'm derailing my own post. Shoot me :D

I think if all you have to clean out a heavily contaminated wound is pee, you're in a world of trouble despite having a wound. That said, unless the person doing the peeing has a urinary tract infection, urine coming straight out Anthony Weiner (sorry, I couldn't resist) should be sterile. If you have no other options to clean a wound, in theory this would work. The only problem would be, if you waste all your pee cleaning out a wound, Bear Grylls would have nothing to drink.

Does anyone know anyone first hand who has used pee to clean out a wound? I mean, verifiable, trustworthy, first hand information? As I said above, if you're down to using pee to clean out a wound, likely you've got other major problems. I wonder how many people walking around would survive a situation like that?

I am not giving any medical advise here for anyone else.

I have pissed on my feet for athletes foot at the beginning of a shower, then followed up washing with soap before I'm done. I will say that it seems to work for athletes foot. A buddy that served in Vietnam told me that he had been told that by the medics there to do that since foot rot problems were very common over there with the moist environment and heavy boots and socks.

I am not in a rush to pee on my wounds or drink it as a health tonic like some peoples do.

Every once in a while I nick a finger or knuckle on the grinder or while sharpening a knife etc.

I lick it while I walk to the sink, A quick wash with hand soap and then cover with a cloth bandaid to keep the grinding dust out and then take the bandaid off when I get home to let it breathe and heal. Works fine so far.
I wonder if steel dust has any microbe inhibitors in it? These wounds and cuts never get infected?

I am just a knife maker and have had no formal medical training other than a basic first aid class many years ago.
I've have also heard that mechanic's cuts almost never get infected because of the grease they work around? Its not clean Vaseline. but close?

I really want to know about this. From what I understand, sugar is no good for wounds, and alcohol has lots of it.

Whiskey has trace or no sugar depending on whether caramel is added for color.

"Alcohol" for purposes of alcoholic beverages is ethanol, not sugar.

Honey makes a good one and nowthey have found the exact mechanism of how it works. This after successful use for a few thousand years !!!

I had cut about half of my thumb pad off, to the bone. The flesh was still hinged on with skin and some flesh.

Not in the woods. I ran cool water over it until the water stopped running pink.

Held it over head for a while, grabbed super glue and with it still raised, glued it up.

Took months for small bumps to not hurt, now there's only a thin scar and no pain. The only training I ever had was on active duty and at that point it was basic triage, tourniquet application, dealing with shock and basic immobilization and sucking chest wounds. We certified in first aid as well.

Any opening in the skin may lead to infection, and at the first sign of it, I would go to the doctor ASAP.

Back