best edc folder under 100

I am looking for a folding knife for christmas. I want a 3.5 to 4 inch blade. I want good steel like s30v or154cm or something along these lines. I like the benchmade barrage and i kinda like the spydie mili but I really don't like the look of the knife and I would honestly prefer a spring assist. Out off all of what ive looked at the benmchmades look the best. Also, how does the sog arclock compare to the benchmade axis lock?

The knives you seem to like are over your budget. Why don't you take a look at the Cold Steel Recon 1?

Spyderco Native or Manix 2 might be a good option.... Hope that helps. The right steel and very close to your desired blade length.....

Check out the Cold Steel American Lawman, AK-47, Recon 1. Also check out the spyderco endura or stretch. Kershaw Tyrade and JYDII are nice too.

The thing that turns me off to cold steel is the warrenty and the steel is only aus 8 but good aus 8

You really won't find a stronger folding knife. Do you have much experience with AUS8? What will you be doing with your edc knife?
I generally prefer a less "premium" steel on my knives, since I'm so hard on them at work. I'll chip the hell out of a S30V blade in a day and it will take a lot longer than AUS8 to sharpen out. Something to consider...

the benchmade barrage, benchmade nitrous stryker, and the benchmade HK blitz are all assisted openers under a hundred.

the benchmade HK blitz never seems to get any mentions on this forum, but it looks like a pretty decent knife..

Benchmade_HK_Bli_48aaea6dc0a44.jpg

Kershaw ZDP Composite Blade Blur, 1670BRNZDP. A tad shorter than you asked for at 3 3/8ths, but you get a cutting edge of ZDP-189. You asked for high end steel, didn't you? Spring assist, made in the USA, and a flawless lifetime guarantee. kershawguy has the blems for about $59, and they are cosmetic only, no mechanical issues. No lifetime warranty on the blems, but if you ever need parts, a call to Kershaw will have them in the mail to you that day, no charge or questions asked. I have several, and I think I finally found the blem on one of them, but I'm still not sure. Look Dave up on The Exchange.

I have had quite an expierence with aus 8 in sog knives. Ive had the sog flash2, twitch xl, and a seal pup. They seemed to chip really easy and their springs in their assisted knives suck. The twitch xl required constant resetting and its not just a lemon i have 2 of them because they were 30 buck each off steep and cheap.

my friend has a blur and I use it all the time man is it cool. It is very grippy and lighwieght adn the blade steel is pretty good.

If you want assisted then get a Kershaw. It's too bad that the Spec Bumps seem to have disappeared lately, because that would fit your criteria perfectly. The Blur suggested earlier would be a good option; it comes in s30v too. Other than that, the Spyderco Stretch FRN and Manix 2 are excellent under $100, but they aren't assisted.

CS Aus8A has been pretty good for me.

I have higher end steel, but the stuff just does the job.

I have an older zytel handled recon 1 that has held up great over 10 years of use.

No complaints.

The lock up is still tight with no play in any direction.

The newest version has a completely different lock. Very strong. But I can't speak to it's longevity.

The answer is clearly the Kershaw RAM. It has no assisted action, but it opens far faster than any "Spring assist" knife. It has a great lock, g10 handles, great ergonomics....you can find them somewhere for as cheap as $50 USD.

Spring assist with s30v? ZT0350. You can browse the exchange for practically new ones for under $100.

A full size BM Grip. Mine is blade heavy enough I can flick it out as fast as an AO. 154 steel and can be had in 440C, D2 and newer X steel

As somebody mentioned above, the Kershaw Spec Bump if you can find one. I've had one for a couple of weeks and I think it's an awesome knife. Great materials, great ergos, and very cool looking. I was worried about the locking mechanism b/f I got it (not sure what it's called), but like it a lot after using it for a while.

I've always thought the Axis lock and the Arc lock were very similar. I don't know about the mechanics of them, but they seem to have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Back