1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Best emergency folding-knife opening method (stud-hole-flipper-disc)

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by ukknifer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    For an emergency wilderness knife, I think that the best choice would be a fixed blade. Easiest to find and draw when freezing, and sturdy enough to perform wilderness duties.

2. kage

kage

Oct 25, 2006
    I would also have to say Wave, followed by flipper.

If you're talking conventional openers, I woud prefer a disk over a hole or stud, as it's larger and easier to catch on something to open.

If you have anything with a hole (i.e. Spyderco) you can "Wave" it by using a zip tie in it.

I personally do not trust assisted openers or automatics if my life may depend on it. I have had both fail.

3. theamazingdrew

theamazingdrew

Nov 18, 2009
    yep:)

4. remmmm

remmmm

Mar 1, 2009
    I say a waved spydie, two possible options. Last choice, other then nail nick, would be a flipper IMO...

5. phaserrifle

phaserrifle

Apr 8, 2008
    true, but it requires dexterity to open one-handed safely.
    if your hands are cold or wet, I'm not sure how well you could do.

6. AJ

AJ

Oct 4, 1998
    Another vote for the Spydie hole.

AJ

7. ukknifer

ukknifer

Jan 30, 2010
  8. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    I have a few autos and really don't think they offer much advantage over a well designed manual folder. Even as a paratrooper, I found too much manipulation needed to use it one-handed and even tried to when I landed into a bunch of trees (I was just hanging and curious to see if my folder was still in my pocket and how well I could use it even though I didn't need to cut any risers). Enter the Emerson with Wave...this is possibly the fastest opening on-handed folder using the most basic gross-motor skills. You can still use the disk or hole depending on the model, but the less manipulation needed, the easier to deploy when needed under stress.

ROCK6

9. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Hole. :)

10. hlee

hlee

Dec 5, 2005
    You're not going to be opening any knife.

11. akthor

akthor

Jan 23, 2010
    Assisted with thumb stud and the bump that sticks out the back. If you can't use the stud you can push the knife against something and it'll open.

Attached Files: