Best Fanny Pack?

Just got the Jumbo Versipack in Foliage green and like it thus far. Plenty of storage, comfortable, rides well, and if it is half as tough as my vulture, it'll be a keeper:

SANY0005-8.jpg

Trying out different configs. Here's my BM riding side-saddle:

SANY0004-9.jpg

I like that folige green. Makes it look less military looking but still has that tough as nails look. Thanks for the pics.

I have a small timbuk2 shoulder bag that I love cause im not limited to one side carry.
Timbuk2 quality is outstanding every bit as good as maxpedition if not better. You can custom order whatever color combos you want in your choice of balistic nylon or cordura...... Ill post a pic of mine when I get home. I say this unbiased as I have owned maxpedition as well, and they are outstanding products....

I was in your same predicament 3 weeks ago. For quite a while, I was looking to invest in a fanny/lumbar pack. I looked at many models: Maxpedition DevilDog & Versipack; Mountainsmith Tour & Day; and Kelty Hawkeye, Cardinal, and Kestrel models.

I finally went with the Kelty Hawkeye. 800 cubic inches, plenty of space. However.....

I recommend not looking at a specific pack, but assembling your survival/urban/"oh crap the world is ending" kit FIRST....THEN buying the pack accordingly to fit your needs. That is what I did and it worked out for my needs best. Don't just buy a pack to buy a pack, plan accordingly, assemble your list of items, then get to it! :D

I picked one of those up on the cheap, $30.00 and it was worth every penny.
Amazingly I fit everything in there with some room to spare. I like how you can tuck away the hip belt when you use it as a shoulder bag.

I've had the mountainsmith for several years. It carries well with the shoulder straps, and it also has a padded single strap. When I tried it without the shoulder straps, I found that it slid down and I kept hitching it up. I wear bibs when I hunt, and they're pretty slick, so I always use the straps.
Richard

I've got a Kelty Elkhorn pack that has a good bit of room. I'm working on making this my pack of choice for two day trips. Packing only necessary gear to keep the weight down.
Scott

Back