Best Flipper ever!

I haven’t tried them all, and not everyone’s flavor. But, this is a great flipper!!
4cMhehQ.jpg

2YMeP3G.jpg

Last edited:
The best Flipper I ever owned was a Gerry Mcginnis Limiter. Gerry does detents the best IMO

As far as attainable, the Spyderco Advocate surprised the hell out of me. I've never heard anyone saying anything good about Spyderco's flipper action, but they got the action just right with mine.

Also any WE or Civivi is spectacular.

Given the craze of drop free blades, strong detent etc.

Pretty much anything from Andre Thorburn or Andre van Heerden.

My most used one below:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-m16-ikbs-folder-introductory-review.1107617/

In terms of my preference of a strong detent, free swinging blade, with no side to side play throughout the walk and talk, and not a drop shut blade while the lock is resting against the blade (been bitten in the past due to hand fatigue) I am happy with this one:

8AE1437C-62F1-44ED-B6AC-681ED35E4951.jpg

For the longest time my best flipper was a ZT5602CF. Then it changed when I got this Hinderer, but only after it was really broken in. Are Shirogorovs really the next level up?

20210202-204118.jpg

My favorite flipper isn’t the “best” flipper. It was the flipper that got me into knives.

The original Kershaw Skyline (now disco’ed) was such a simple elegant design that I probably spent more time fidgeting with than any knife I’ve ever owned. It wasn’t for everyone, but that flipper caused me to buy a lot of other flippers (arguably way better flippers), so it gets my vote for being a trend setter.

*Honorable mention to the Kershaw Ram. Still my greatest regret in terms of a knife that I let get away... That thing was a gun shot when you fired that flipper. Hella cool sound and action to boot.

Some folks enjoy their knives snapping open with a thunderous 'thwack' that startles animals from the underbrush and makes sleeping babies cry, but me, I prefer a soft sophisticated 'click.'

In my opinion, a good flipper will deploy a blade reliably with a 'click' rather than a 'thwack'--which indicates that the pivot and detent are nicely dialed-in and the action is not exerting excessive force/shock on the stop pin and other parts.

IMO, the best flipper action knife I own is my little Jake Hoback MK Ultra... *click* :cool::thumbsup:

mkultra.jpg

Where are you finding the 3LegDog knives? I've been looking at a few at Blade Gallery in Kirkland, WA. I'd like to see what else is out there, I've never seen the one you posted.

Some folks enjoy their knives snapping open with a thunderous 'thwack' that startles animals from the underbrush and makes sleeping babies cry, but me, I prefer a soft sophisticated 'click.'

In my opinion, a good flipper will deploy a blade reliably with a 'click' rather than a 'thwack'--which indicates that the pivot and detent are nicely dialed-in and the action is not exerting excessive force/shock on the stop pin and other parts.

IMO, the best flipper action knife I own is my little Jake Hoback MK Ultra... *click* :cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1502825
I like MK Ultra a lot, been looking at different versions for a little while now and may pick one up eventually.
Great looking blade, even in all black. Very nice pick up.

I
I have a grand total of 5 flippers, a ZT 0450cf, a Spyderco Positron, a Kershaw Camber and a large and small Buck Vantage. The Vantage knives are not very good as far as flippers go and the Camber is assisted (so that is cheating). The Positron is actually not too shabby as a flipper but nothing comes close to the ZT. However, I do prefer the Positron and carry it more than the 0450cf (even so, I don't carry any of them all that much).

EHBFwBe.jpg

I'm glad I have a few to choose from as they confirm why I don't like flippers, so I won't be buying anymore anytime soon.
love the Wayfarer 247 and really 90% of all my flippers I think work just great but I agree that there's something about the ZT 450 that makes it the most satisfying to flip! I thought I was the only one that thought this knife had some major mojo going on with it's action! It must just be the perfect alignment of the stars with size, shape, weight, etc. Great choice!

Where are you finding the 3LegDog knives? I've been looking at a few at Blade Gallery in Kirkland, WA. I'd like to see what else is out there, I've never seen the one you posted.

I got mine from Blade Gallery.
According to Riaan, they are the only US distributor.

He is on IG (3legdogknives) and you could try messaging him there. I saw a pic recently of stuff back from water jet and it looks like he has some P6 blades cut. I have a deposit with him for another but no idea when he is going to get to them. I believe he said something like "I'll get to making a couple sometime this year." I think he is working with M390 now, and not Elmax.
I wonder if his other models flip like my P6?

BTW, my knife is on the BG site under the sold stuff, but I dyed my scales darker (its the P6 with the weird camo scales).

You guys also got me looking at some ZTs!

Three years ago I came down with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left (dominant) hand. Been carrying a Spyderco Endura for many years but could no longer open it with my left-hand.
Did some research here on Blade Forums and bought a ZT 0770CF with S35VN blade; been carrying it every day since.
Had hand surgery to fix the CTS, but now I have arthritis in my left-hand... old age ain't for sissies!
Flippers are easy for me to use, and I recommend them to anyone having problems opening folding knives.

auLcBaX.jpg

(Note: Not my photo)

Back