Best Folder Under $100

Shortknock27

Gold Member
I know this has been asked before, but if you could choose one folder (non-serrated) under $100, what would it be and what makes it so special?

Thanks,

Scott

many different spyderco's are great (delica, endura, para-military, military, salsa, etc.)

also that are a quite a few benchmade's under that price mark (griptilians are great)

thanks,

iubigred007

Spyderco Calypso Jr. My friend gave me a budget to pick her out an EDC knife for up to $100. I looked and looked and thought about all of the knives that I've owned, and I could not in good conscious recommend anything better (considering the price) than a $40 Calypso Jr.

It has great blade steel, the best ergonomics on a small knife I've experienced. Beautiful balance, a very useful and versatile blade shape, great feel in the pocket...unscratchable scales and NO bladeplay.

It also opens very smoothly (for a lockback) and is backed by a terrific warranty.

I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into nice knives. It does everything I need a folder to do, and it does it all extremely well.

Nitin

I would definitely look at benchmade's collection. I have a liking for the griptilians...and the doug ritter rsk griptilian has an S30V blade...I would start at the benchhmade website to see what you like then go to some online stores to find a good priace. Froogle works pretty well too.

Gotta be different. Although there are a number of great Kershaws, Camillus, Spydercos and Benchmades out there my favorite has to be a Buck 110 or 112. They have classic styling and somehow they just beg to be used.

Benchmade 556 Mini-Griptilian...The Axis-lock is excellent.

Dan is right, the 556 Mini-Griptilian is awesome and so is the 551 large Griptilian!

Why, you ask?

Well, I'll tell you...

Flat ground blade.
440C with an excellent heat treatment.
Totally ambidexterous.
The thumbstuds work great (better than the oval of the 550 and 555).
The AXIS-LOCK!
Very comfortable handle.
Full (556) or partial (551) dual steel liners.
Bronze-phosphor pivot washers.
Lifetime warranty from a great American company.
The AXIS-LOCK!
Mel Pardue designed the knife, and I like his designs.
The Mini comes in a variety of colors (bright green, blue, yellow, purple, black).
The full-sized Griptilian comes in Black or Olive Drab military green.
They are not too heavy and will not feel like an anchor in your pocket.
Adjustable blade pivot.
Torx screws construction.
And have I mentioned the AXIS-LOCK!

Good luck,
Allen.

Right now I think the best thing going in the under $100 range is the Cabela's Buck 110. Amazing value for the money and it's just a little more than 1/2 of your stated limit.

I'm also very fond of the Spyderco Persian, I think it represents a great value.

Jump that limit to $125 and you could triple the number of excellent choices!

Well, it depends what you're looking for. If a high-performance scalpel is needed, nothing beats a Calypso Jr.

checkout cabelas benchmade 556 mini-grip in D2 steel with black coated blade for $69.99 (od or black handle). got mine recently and it is nice.

I think AllenC should have come right out and told us what he was thinking!

All I can say is one word: GRIPTILIAN!!!

I have three: One of each size in D2 from Cabelas and a regular MiniGrip. Lotta bang for the buck. I'm saving my lunchmoney for another big one...mebbe a RitterGrip.

U

rsk_mk1_aeromedix_300wds.jpg

neetones said:
Spyderco Calypso Jr. My friend gave me a budget to pick her out an EDC knife for up to $100. I looked and looked and thought about all of the knives that I've owned, and I could not in good conscious recommend anything better (considering the price) than a $40 Calypso Jr.

It has great blade steel, the best ergonomics on a small knife I've experienced. Beautiful balance, a very useful and versatile blade shape, great feel in the pocket...unscratchable scales and NO bladeplay.

It also opens very smoothly (for a lockback) and is backed by a terrific warranty.

I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into nice knives. It does everything I need a folder to do, and it does it all extremely well.

Nitin
Completely agree with Nitin.
Also, I'm seeing Paramilitarys and Militarys going easily under $100 on eBay, and you surely can't go wrong with those either. Just depends on size blade you want, and how much under $100 you want to pay.

As always, as I forgot in my last post, I'll throw out an Emerson reccomendation, from a personal level. I have carried my mini cqc-7b everyday without a single problem. They can regularly be had for under $100.

Also, I'm seeing Paramilitarys and Militarys going easily under $100 on eBay, and you surely can't go wrong with those either. Just depends on size blade you want, and how much under $100 you want to pay.
Just what I wanted to propose. Spyderco Military or Paramilitary. You'll get a tough yet lightweight knife with S30V steel, full flat grind blade and incredibly sharp out of the box. G-10 handles. Nested linerlock (Military) or compression lock (Paramilitary) - this is really a strong lock, and fully ambidextrous.
And BTW, for a few more bucks you can get the DLC black bladed version :)

Back