Best for $500 or less

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mattz357, Oct 28, 2019.

1. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Best for trimming dingleberries.

skyhorse and jlauffer like this.
  2. mycough

mycough Basic Member Basic Member

May 20, 2007
    Damn, I love these threads! Now I am gonna start at the beginning and see if its a good one!
    Up early because T am having problems with a dry wall guy, his day will be interesting.

Russ

3. mycough

May 20, 2007
    Well, I read it... All depends where you are in your using/collecting arc when making a suggestion.
    EDC for me is either an alan davis in curly maple and elmax or an old insingo . Both under 500$
    I would feel incomplete without a crk in my dump tray, a full sized one.
    You will have guys crapping on the "soft" s30v or s35vn, then they will start a thread on "difficulty sharpening xyz super steel. If the OP has never had one, they should try a crk.

Russ

K.O.D. likes this.
  4. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Chris Reeve seems to be the most popular answer to questions like these.

Personally, I'd buy a Spyderco PM 2 Camo G10 $140 + CS Recon 1 spear point $100 + Microtech UTX 85 $248 + Mora 511 $8.

Crimson Cloud likes this.
  5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I'm gonna interpret the "best" part as "favourite".

My favourite knife under $500, but still close to it, is the Hinderer XM-18 3,5.
    [​IMG]

Therom and MeritedEdge like this.
  6. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

:)

orangejoe35 likes this.
  7. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Cheburkov Strizh

mycough likes this.
  8. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    I'll be serious this time. Under $500 but close to it?

Probably my Matt Bailey Model 2 geek edition flipper.

[​IMG]

It's just too cool for school, like I was.

Gravy and Rykjeklut like this.
  9. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    This is true for every one of these threads.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  10. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Mike Zieba
    8A1A2FE6-A186-49E4-97CD-0F067767EF9A.jpeg

Sebenza
    6A1D9CAC-C28F-4069-B39A-5667F4CA46FB.jpeg

tomciopaluch357 likes this.
  11. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    "Best" (for my needs/uses) single blade knives with a locking blade that cost under $500:
    Buck 110 (non-auto) brass and wood, 420HC or CPM154 blade steel
    Buck 110LT with a 420HC or CPM154 blade.
    Buck 112 (non-auto) (mine has a D2 blade)
    Schrade Old Timer 6OT (440A)
    Schrade Old Timer 7OT (440 A)
    Ontario RAT 1 (the one I had was Aus 8)
    I haven't tried one, but I'll guess the Ontario RAT 2 is a daRn good knife, too, based on what I've read here.
    Opinel #8 (it has a locking ring)
    Cold Steel Kudu (ratchet lock) 4114 Krupps
    Cold Steel Eland (ratchet lock) 4114 Krupps

My most expensive knives are a Sk Blades "The Gentleman" Buck 110 and an SK Blades 'Lil Jack Buck 112.
    Both were under $100 each when I bought them.

I have no experiance with knives that cost $100 or more (plus tax).

I'm guessing slipjoints are outside the conversation, so I'll not list them ... other than the SAK Huntsman. (saw, punch/awl, can opener, and scissors come in handy more oft than you might think.)

So far as autos go, if I'm ever crippled enough to where I need one, I'll probably get a Buck 110 auto.
    Arthritis may get me to that point in the next 10 years?
    Yes. I am not looking forward to that; I'll have to give up Archery when that happens.
    If I reach a point where I cannot open a knife, chances are I woun't be able to draw a bow, either.

12. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    My favorite
    CRK ZAAN
    Hinderer Spanto 3.5”
    TRM Atom

13. PC87

PC87

Dec 27, 2011
    Zt0393sw. While they can still be found I’m sure the few remaining at retailers will go quick. Excellent knife for the $$$. Like it so much I bought 2.

14. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    If I had to pick one under $500 then it’d be a Large Sebenza 21.

If I could pick multiple knives adding up to under $500 then : Shaman DLC , Native Chief and CS Demko AD-10.

mycough likes this.
  15. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    Can disagree about the Endura, an absolute classic. Personally I really like the Bugout and that has been my most carried knife since they came out. I upgraded mine with aftermarket carbon fiber scales and it still came in under $200. But... I'm also partial to the carbon fiber Chris Reeve folders. I'm a cyclist so I like lightweight knives. I just got a Small CF Sebenza 21 with the Insingo style blade and that is threatening to replace my Bugout.

16. Gravy

Gravy

Dec 16, 2014
    Gerber Paraframe

17. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    These are my favourites in no particular order.

1. Opinel Classic No 8 in Inox SS - Inexpensive, easy to clean, excellent for food prep, my overseas travelling folder.
    2. Benchmade Mini Griptilian MDP in 154CM - My backup folder. Light, rides well in pocket.
    3. Spyderco PM2 in S30V - Pointy, full flat grind, able to use full-length of the blade due to lack of a thumstud, easy to clean and ergonomic handle.
    4. RHK XM-18 3.5" S35Vn Spanto -Heavy duty flipper, ergonomic handle although thick and heavy, easy to clean, rides well in the pocket, excellent fit and finish.
    5. CRK Umnumzaan S35Vn drop point - Pointy, ergonomic, easy to clean and maintain, heavy duty with excellent fit and finish, rides well in pocket.
    6. CRK 21 Large Sebenza S35Vn drop point - pointy, ergonomic, easy to clean and maintain, heavy duty with excellent fit and finish best edc folder for me.

There are a tonne of folders available with a budget of $500. Everyone needs are different therefore to get the ideal folder, trying them out is the way to go. I myself during the earlier years have tried many folders from Benchmade, Kershaw, Strider, Dpx Gear, Lionsteel, Spyderco, Zt etc basically what I can get at my local dealer. It did get a bit expensive at one point. Its when I bought the Umnumzaan in 2014 that I knew I am getting to my ideal folder. A month after getting that folder, I had the chance to get the Sebenza and I am glad I did. It was the folder of choice for me.

18. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg Fantoni HB-01 in CPM S-125-V.

orangejoe35 and Crimson Cloud like this.
  19. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    Still waiting for an answer from y'all. Don't leave me hanging!

mycough likes this.
  20. mycough

May 20, 2007
    Said the swinging dingleberry...