Best handle material for Iraq

In the next couple of months a couple of my oldest friends ship out for Iraq. I was wondering which handle material would hold up best in the, rather warm climate they have. I was thinking of getting him a 15" AK or 16.5 WWII but thought I had better ask you experts for the benifit of your experience.

BTW he was originally slated as a tank driver, but then he was of course re-assigned:confused: . Then as basic infantry. Then he was classified as a range master, shortly after which he was offered a chance to go to sniper school. At our new years eve party he announced to my wife and I how proud he was and thanked me for teaching him so much about firearms and shooting. We are of course very proud of him, and I wish I could go with him to watch his back. My wife and I are still a little protective as she was his nanny and apparently I one of his mentors.

Thanks in advance.
Sniper with a grin and an HI Khukri:D

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
IIRC, those in the sandbox have preferred plain ole saatisaal wood.

Sarge should be along soon with some in-the-field expertise...

Wood or horn? We hauled a lot of khukuris across the pond to Afghanistan and Iraq, with handles of both materials. No real problems with either one. On the whole, wood handles seem a bit lighter, slightly better grip, and less prone to develop cracks, not that any of the horn handles developed any cracks that were more than just cosmetic. The horn handles can be made to grip better by roughing them up with sandpaper, approximating the finish of the villager models. This also helps them better absorb mineral oil, etc., to prevent any problems from excessive drying.

Short answer, can't go wrong with either, so just go with what you think they'll like. A lot of us kept our khuk handles wrapped with 100 mph tape, and it's a good idea. In addition to cutting down any shine or contrast with the rest of your gear, it protects the handle from dings and scratches, and, I suspect helps keep the handle, wood or horn, from drying out too much.

Your friends are lucky. I picked up a saying long ago, and it's stuck with me;
"Family are the friends that God chooses for us, friends are the family we choose for ourselves" :D

Sarge

I wrapped the entire sheath, as well as the handle, in grip tape. Killed glare and hurt grip not a bit.

J

Actually, I sent Dan an E-mail last week to ask if he could construct my idea of a tactical Kukri handle that would be suitable for Iraq carry. Haven't heard back yet though. I plan to bring one with me along with a leather sheath. It was based on a 15" Sirupati.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
found your email, Bandit5.....I had somehow sent my reply to myself....:rolleyes:....anyway, should be in your inbox now....:foot:

A 15" sirupati is one of my favorite khukris. It seems to me a good compromise between size/mass and portability. I wish that that size khukri came with more useable sized tools.