1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Best high quality Wusthof Classic alternative

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Dr Rez, Sep 29, 2018.

1. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Must be forged because it has a big honking' bolster. Don't you know nuttin, Laurence? :p

2. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I learned something from the other guy who said it is strip welded. So what? Does it result in stiffening the heel?

3. Dr Rez

Dr Rez

Jun 7, 2012
    Because bolsters are terrible, its more harm than good.

Pros: Terrible small cleaver abilities
    Cons: Extra Weight, Cant Sharpen 100% down edge, blade doesn't sit flat on cutting board

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  4. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Thank goodness for choices. IMHO without that heft in the back it’s just a tall slicer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    LOL. That was me. It is a cost issue. A handful of firms still chose to do it the old fashioned way because, well, that is how they have always done it. If you give me say a blade or AEB-L/13C26 as thick as a Wusthof it isn't going to matter if it doesn't have a bolster that goes all the way to the heel. As long as you get the HT right, it will be as tough as a Golden Corral steak. :D

6. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    If over time the bolster isn't reduced when the blade is sharpened, that happens. Address it and it is fixed. I have to buzz the bolster down a bit on near every one that passes through my hands.

Jim

7. Dr Rez

Dr Rez

Jun 7, 2012
    I have filed it down. My point though was saying with a bolsterless or half bolster design that isnt even an issue. I dont think the average person is going to start filing their over 100 dollar knife.

8. KnifeRep

KnifeRep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Friedr Dick’s forged knives are harder than Wustof’s. I’ve had both the Wustof 10” Classic #4582/26 and F Dick’s 8” Premier Plus #81447 21 sitting in our knife block together for 12 years and I sharpen all the knives in our home. Yes, F Dick’s Premier Plus will hold an edge longer but I have to stone it more often, with the Wustof Classic a few passes on my F Dick medium cut steel is all it takes, with all truthfulness, I can’t remember the last time I had to stone our Wustof Classic.

As I tell everyone that I recomend Friedr Dick knives to, buy one of their steels if you’re buying one of their knives, other manufacture’s steels will usually work to clean the edge of a Friedr Dick knife, they’ll just require more effort.

KR

9. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Check out the made in Italy kitchen knives from A.G. Russell. He claimed they cost 20-30% less than Henckels and are harder too.

Bring Italian, of course they look nice too.

10. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    fullsizeoutput_8b3.jpeg

11. Brandon Nelson

Brandon Nelson

Jan 16, 2019
    I'm not sure if you ever came to conclusion on this but to combine ideas from earlier in the thread, buy a Japanese knife and replace the handle. I'd suggest the Yaxell Dragon 8", try the handle, decide if you like it. If not replace it. The blade is much closer to a German profile with BD1N steel which seems to have a lot of great properties. The prices aren't insane given the blades steel quality, fit, and finish. I have Gou's and have no issues with the 9 I have but I believe the dragon/dragon fire series would be closer to my Wusthof culinar's.