1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Best Hollow Ground Production Knives Under $250

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Baron Mind, Jul 31, 2019.

1. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    onionfan likes this.
  2. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Gayle Bradley 1 if you can find it. It’s miles ahead from the GB2 imo.

Officer's Match and BigKurtHaze like this.
  3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I'd also point out, that in the $250 price range, lurk in the custom makers for sale and individual customs for sale forums here.

You can find real deals on customs solidly below that price range.

4. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Yup, where it falls down is not an issue with the hollow grind, though. I love the Southard, but too thick is too thick and it definitely suffers from tacticool bulk getting in the way of performance at times.

@OP this thing is hollow ground and I'm loving it so far, it's much thinner and lighter than I expected, but it's feels really strong in hand at the same time:

[​IMG]

5. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Buck vantage has a thin hollow grind. Are they still producing them?

6. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    The Buck 110 gets my vote. Thats my favorite hollow ground knife probably, theyre just great.

7. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Boker Exskelibur is a hollow grind at around $140+. I will hold on to my GB1. I find more and more I like the hollow grind because of cutting ability.

8. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Second on Boker Exskelibur I.
    Great great slicer.
    The construction and F&F can be a lot better for the price, though.

Regarding sliceyness, Case Sod Buster Jr. is hard to beat in production knives.

9. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    G10 chaves ultramar redencion if you can find one, or a used one in any other handle configuration

10. Chucktabulous

Chucktabulous

Jan 11, 2019
    I’m quite happy with Spyderco’s Bradley folders.
    Excellent cutters.

11. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    What Banter said is so totally true. The Rectifier is such a useful blade. Also check out the Massdrop/Ferrum Forge Gent manufactured by We. Its a saber grind, but everything about this knife is amazing (including the sometimes criticized clip), the blade is a cutting machine, and it is $100. I'm always blown away by it.

12. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    You'll have to look on the secondary market for this one.
    Spyderco Manix2 4V steel, hollow ground, carbon fiber scales.

13. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Bucks are hollow ground. For $250 you can either go fancy steel and exotic handle. Or in standard configuration 4 different models to cover all the bases.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  14. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    ^^^ This. Hollow grinds are great done right. I slice an apple every day in break room at lunch with the rest of the staff, and they were shocked at how effortlessly my Medford Praetorian T push cut thru a Granny Smith. While it's obviously well above the OP's price point, it really is a great cutter, despite the looks of the blade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    IMHO any Buck is a good slicer.
    They hold an edge and are easy to touchup if needed.

eveled likes this.
  16. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    A thick wedge like that wil cut the apple, but also will break it as it cuts because a crisp apple is rigid the lateral pushing will push too far. Not saying it couldnt be hollow ground, but youd definitely want thinner stock. I prefer a wide flat for that type of rigid cutting material as not to crack it all apart. Next time you have a chance, cut a 1/4 inch slice with a chef knife, then the medford. You will see the medford creates cracks and "fault lines" as is cracks the apple. The flat thin blade will make a smooth glassy cut as you would want.

Skywalker31 and marrenmiller like this.
  17. Gravy

Gravy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    The Kizer Ursa Minor has a nice deep hollow grind that slices really well, great ergos too.

18. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    As I said in the post you quoted, I do this daily with whatever knife is in my pocket. And I also do it at home with a 10" chef's knife that is very thin, so I know very well what you are saying. And I am telling you that this Praetorian did a better job than many of the thin slicer's you all are familiar with. Of course the chef's knife was better at it, but it really was a surprise to me how well the Medford did.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  19. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    While I used to think I would never prefer the GB2 over the GB1, it just carries so much better.

[​IMG]

metaxasm, GB940Rookie and Skywalker31 like this.
  20. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    What, in your opinion, makes it miles ahead? Not disagreeing just interested.