Best knife for Army Ranger

My cousin is preparing for Army Ranger school. I'd like to get him a quality blade as a graduation present. I'm thinking a multitool or an edc sized folder that's max reliable and tough enough for war over the big heavy Kbar. I'm relatively new to this blade infatuation, & I'm partial to the big choppers. I will need to stay at or under $100. It's important that I do my homework if I'm going to put a weapon in his hand that his life may well depend on. From what I've seen, this is a great place to go for those that know. I'd appreciate advice from any of you that have military experience or well seasoned opinions about blades/tools. Thank you.

Not to be a jerk but wait till he graduates as many don't.

For a neat historical piece the Fairbairn-Sykes is cool and goes back to WWII for them. After that, it is really personal preference and what unit he goes to and their mission. The 75th will be a lot different than if he's a ranger qualified guy in a mech infantry unit.

Not to be a jerk but wait till he graduates as many don't.

For a neat historical piece the Fairbairn-Sykes is cool and goes back to WWII for them. After that, it is really personal preference and what unit he goes to and their mission. The 75th will be a lot different than if he's a ranger qualified guy in a mech infantry unit.
He's in Army Intelligence w/ jump school training. I'm not sure what he would do as a ranger though. I'd rather do my research early, and I wouldn't bet against him for graduation. The Fairbairn-Sykes dagger is definitely a consideration and looks like a straight up combat weapon, which may be the way to go if that's what the mission calls for. However, I was thinking something small that could serve him for a wide variety of tasks.

This question comes up once in a while.

If you're looking for something to give him as a presentation piece, then a Fairbairn-Sykes or a Fairbairn-Harsey would both be good options. The F/H is an evolution of the earlier F/S dagger.

If you're looking to get him something to carry in his ruck, the answers are a lot different.

1) Big knives and "combat" or "tactical" blades tend to get left back at barracks. These guys are already toting 80+ pounds of gear, and if it don't serve a purpose, it don't get to go.

2) All of a soldier's tools are seen as disposable, to some degree. They have to be, because they can be lost, stolen, or simply "used up", at any time: if it makes a hole, its an entrenching tool.

3) Multiools do seem to be the go-to choice, because they do a lot more things than a dedicated knife.

The easiest answer is to ask him. I get the idea that you may want to surprise him, and if you want to surprise him with a presentation piece, that is well. But if you want to get him something he'll use, you should find out what his needs really are.

What about a Spyderco PM2 or Para3? As for fixed blades check out ESEE.

If you'd double your budget it would really open up possibilities.

Most of the recent ex-military guys I read on the forums point to multitools as what get used in today’s US military. Lightweight is important if a knife is to be carried on missions.

This question comes up once in a while.

If you're looking for something to give him as a presentation piece, then a Fairbairn-Sykes or a Fairbairn-Harsey would both be good options. The F/H is an evolution of the earlier F/S dagger.

If you're looking to get him something to carry in his ruck, the answers are a lot different.

1) Big knives and "combat" or "tactical" blades tend to get left back at barracks. These guys are already toting 80+ pounds of gear, and if it don't serve a purpose, it don't get to go.

2) All of a soldier's tools are seen as disposable, to some degree. They have to be, because they can be lost, stolen, or simply "used up", at any time: if it makes a hole, its an entrenching tool.

3) Multiools do seem to be the go-to choice, because they do a lot more things than a dedicated knife.

The easiest answer is to ask him. I get the idea that you may want to surprise him, and if you want to surprise him with a presentation piece, that is well. But if you want to get him something he'll use, you should find out what his needs really are.
The multitool is def an option

Almost nobody carries fixed blades anymore. It's all leatherman or folders. Leatherman OHT was my favorite duty tool because of the seatbelt/rescue cutter in case you have to cut yourself and/or battle buddy out of a burning stryker.

They roll over or catch fire way more than you'd think. Folders were usually benchmades. Folders with the wave are awesome too, I had a Kershaw Emerson cqc6k and now got a 7k off the trading forums. Great knives, could also be used for weapons retention in the unlikely event someone tried to grab his rifle.

ETA: OHT is sub $100, Kershaw Emerson are like $30. If you shop around you might be able to get both for around $100.

Almost nobody carries fixed blades anymore. It's all leatherman or folders. Leatherman OHT was my favorite duty tool because of the seatbelt/rescue cutter in case you have to cut yourself and/or battle buddy out of a burning stryker.

They roll over or catch fire way more than you'd think. Folders were usually benchmades. Folders with the wave are awesome too, I had a Kershaw Emerson cqc6k and now got a 7k off the trading forums. Great knives, could also be used for weapons retention in the unlikely event someone tried to grab his rifle.

ETA: OHT is sub $100, Kershaw Emerson are like $30. If you shop around you might be able to get both for around $100.
How did you carry the leatherman?

Spring the extra few bucks and get him a Leatherman MUT. It is a tool specifically made for maintaining ar-15 pattern rifles.

l-mu032.jpg

How did you carry the leatherman?

I had the OHT in an OCP Condor brand molle sheath on my belt. Worked great in garrison because it was I could get to it easier than reaching into a pocket. In the field I kept my surge on a different OCP sheath on my chest rig. They go for like $10 and have a rubber pull tab on the bottom of the flap.

Back