Best knife oil - corrosion inhibitor - rust preventer

Over the years I've owned enough steel to know that some of the best blades are made from highly water-sensitive materials.
Pretty much any high-carbon steel and many alloys are subject to some if not a lot of rust when exposed to fresh or salt water.

Skin oil can even be a corrosive.

Personally I like to have rust free steel, so I've spent a long number of hours researching various oils, coverings, and other inhibitors to keep the steel I have in new condition, and help protect it during use and storage.

Here's my list of the best products I've been able to find and purchase more or less easily:

1. Eezox gun oil (best overall, and for things you're going to handle)
Eezox_3_in_1.jpg

This stuff is amazing. Goes on with a not too unpleasant smell in liquid form. Seeps into all crevises, under handles and into all parts of a steel item. Then, after a couple hours it dries complexly and leaves only a dry film behind which is very tenacious. This product protects the best I've found for salt water, hand oil, and overall moisture. Apply every couple months for heavy use items. 1x per year for display or storage. Harder to find in brick and mortar stores other than gun shops but easily buyable at online retailers. A little goes a long way.
Sells for about $15 or so a bottle depending on the size.

2. BreakFree CLP (good second choice, especially if you're not going to touch the coated surface)
Lubricant-preserve.jpg

While not as corrosion prohibitive as Eezox it is much more available. Find it at Target, WallMart, Fred Meyer in the sporting goods sections. It protects about 1/4 as well in that its great while it lasts but as it wears off or sits for a time it becomes less and less effective. You need to apply it about every week or so for items in use and about 4x per year for display or storage. It does not dry and maintains an oily coating until it eventually evaporates over time. This makes it a little less ideal for any surface you're going to be handling or using as it wears off quicker, and if you're touching it the surface it gets on you. The smell is still fairly mild but it can become strong if you get it on your hands.
Sells for about $9 dollars a bottle depending on the size.

3. Rennassaince wax

RENWAX.jpg

This wax based product is great when you can get at every part of the steel you want to protect. You rub it on, then buff it off, just like waxing your car with turtlewax. The downside of this product is that it is labor intensive and it does not seep into anything. No crevices, no joints, no handles. You have to RUB it onto whatever you want to protect so that means for all pinned handles, joints, and other places you're just not going to be able to rub... rust.
Great for larger pieces of display steel as it makes the pieces really shine. But keep in mind, you'll still need something for the places this stuff won't go.
Purchase online and in specialty shops for about $15 per tub.

4. Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish

05100-05101.jpg

Pound for pound this is the best and most useful polish and protectant I think I've ever used. It works on steel, it works on aluminum, it works on magnesium, it works on brass, copper, tin, and even plastic. This stuff is seriously amazing.
Tarnish, rust, discoloration. This stuff takes care of it all. And it leaves behind a blindingly bright polished and lightly coated surface that lasts a long time.
Like the other polish/paste/wax products availble this does require a lot of work to use and buffing and cleanup are required. It also will not protect anything it can't be rubbed on and off of, so here again crevices and handles are out. Still, if you need to brighten up something from coins to rings, to swords, to knives. This stuff will do it. Mild smell, it will make your hands BLACK so use a terrycloth towel.
Purchase at auto-parts stores and retailers for about $10 per tub.

Everything else.
(I do not include 3in1 or WD40 in this list. They are NOT rust preventers they are for lubrication of nuts and bolts)

Yea, I said it. The above two products are pretty much the best you can get and use and have the fewest compromises.
All other types of coatings, oils, waxes, and such have fairly big drawbacks in either price, availability, longevity, application, smell, or toxicity.

I hope this helps, I know I've been much happier with my non-rusted steel than with constantly having to re-apply or take special precautions when using or re-apply the product ever day just to get it to work.

- Hal Zucati

Have you tried "Fluid Film?"

It is a great rust inhibitor invented to prevent rust in salt water. It is a bit stinky because it contains a good bit of lanolin but works great and goes a long way when it is on a rag wiping off blades etc. It also has plenty of lubrication qualities (high viscosity index) . I have never found it anywhere except "John Deere" dealerships around here but probably elsewhere also. Comes in an aerosol can.

Have not tried that, though given the "stinky" and "hard to find" qualities, I likely will never.
- Hal Zucati

Lanolin is great. Sticky like grease, fine for food and smells great.

Renaissance Wax can be warmed a bit and it'll run into tight spots.

Lanolin is great. Sticky like grease, fine for food and smells great.

Renaissance Wax can be warmed a bit and it'll run into tight spots.

LOL, if you like the smell of sheep and your protected surface sticky. But whatever works!
- Hal Zucati

lol
On highly polished blades it's good to have protectants which don't run off.
But maybe you dont have them?

How about long term storage? Military and others use sticky greases for that. Good for warmer temps when other oils become too liquid. Maybe you don't store knives for long? All users I guess.

Natural sheep's fat can be eaten, but maybe you don't use your knives for food or clean them with alcohol before every use?

But then why did you recommend renaissance wax? It's also waxy and smells like shoe polish! Some peeps actually prefer that to natural smells? Seriously?

lol. Whatever works.

I think for me I'm using the following criteria...
1. It must not smell like a sheep... I'm not sure why I hate that smell so much... but I really do.
2. It must not remain wet or sticky (I realize that CLP does, but I don't use that except for when I wipe it dry for display stuff, or for just before I used something...)
3. It can't be organic. Anything organic will spoil, except maybe honey... Plus, where the heck do you even get lanolin? (Availability thing)

You're correct I don't eat off any of my knives or use them for food prep... I've got disposable stuff for that or I just use my fingers, but I get the application. I guess I'll be washing the lube off whatever I've got that I need to prep food with in the future... hmmm... something to think about. Just hasn't come up yet.

For long term storage I always try and use something that dries.... or rubs dry. Otherwise lint and dust and smutz accumulate and collect moisture.

I don't need to have a debate about who's lube could beat up whos...

But its cool to hear what other folks use.... Lanolin... never even considered that.

Where do you get it?

- Hal Zucati

I started using this because it was the only thing that prevented rust on anchors, chain, cleats and other non stainless hardware that hung off my boat into salt water. The stuff was invented for such uses and I believe was first used in Naval applications. But the engineer who introduced me to it was a shooting buddy and we found it was also great black powder solvent and cleaned weapons very well. When used lightly it leaves very little film and does not collect dust. But it can also be put on heavy and resembles rifle grease. Trying it on my knives was a logical next step. It is also like bore butter in that if a barrel has been cleaned with it and wiped dry it collects little powder residue unlike regular gun oils. So all in all I have found it to be worth a little sheep smell . You can go to their Web site and read about the product. It is available..just hard to find. A can lasts me about two years and I use it for almost all shooting and knife applications.

Back