Review Best knife sharpener

Hello everyone , today I made a video about knife sharpeners , I have lots of them and have used them a lot

I will be discussing
Tormek T4
Edge pro apex
Work sharp Ken Onion with grinder attachment
Wet stones
Work sharp wood tool sharpener

Hope you find it interesting and helpful , please give me your feedback as well , all of this is just my thoughts and you're welcome to have my mind changed
Cheers
Nick

Nice video, but I think you left out a few of the more popular systems like the TSPROF K03 and Blitz, Wicked Sharp, Lansky And Sharpmaker

Nice video, but I think you left out a few of the more popular systems like the TSPROF K03 and Blitz, Wicked Sharp, Lansky And Sharpmaker

I think you meant Wicked Edge. The WE130 in my opinion is the best sharpening system available. Plus it does not require electricity and can also be used for convex and asymmetrical edges.

Gadget? LOL! I'll bet that there isn't a person on earth that can hand sharpen a blades edges within 0.1 - 0.2 degrees of the angles that I tell them to sharpen them at.

I think you meant Wicked Edge. The WE130 in my opinion is the best sharpening system available. Plus it does not require electricity and can also be used for convex and asymmetrical edges.
you are correct my mistake

2 Worksharp options and a lack of other options slightly disappointed though I can understand you are only reviewing what you have access to and it would be too costly to invest in additional equipment just for review purposes.

Gadget? LOL! I'll bet that there isn't a person on earth that can hand sharpen a blades edges within 0.1 - 0.2 degrees of the angles that I tell them to sharpen them at.

Exacting edge angle are not exactly ideal and getting caught-up in geometric perfection sounds cooler than it really is.

That said, I may not be that precise but getting a knife as sharp as I can with just my hands and stones is a serious challenge for many guided system users.

The best sharpening "system" will always be the person doing the sharpening. The tools change, the operator does not.

That's what user manuals and videos are for. There's nothing wrong with hand sharpening - I used to do it. I still hand sharpen the little spey blades on my stockman pocket knives because they are difficult to use my WE on. But the WE130 is not a gadget.

That's what user manuals and videos are for. There's nothing wrong with hand sharpening - I used to do it. I still hand sharpen the little spey blades on my stockman pocket knives because they are difficult to use my WE on. But the WE130 is not a gadget.

So, a user manual contains all the knowledge needed to sharpen? Just a little "all ya gotta do" and your off to the races? Sounds like you are greatly oversimplifying things.

If its not a gadget then what is it? Because literally, it is a gadget by definition.

So, a user manual contains all the knowledge needed to sharpen? Just a little "all ya gotta do" and your off to the races? Sounds like you are greatly oversimplifying things.

If its not a gadget then what is it? Because literally, it is a gadget by definition.

There's no reason to make a federal case out of it. I didn't say they contain ALL the knowledge of sharpening. You know what I mean - user manuals and videos are a good start. Do you have nothing better to do than put words in peoples mouths just to argue? Besides that, this thread isn't about hand sharpening. Man there are a lot of WE haters around here!

2 Worksharp options and a lack of other options slightly disappointed though I can understand you are only reviewing what you have access to and it would be too costly to invest in additional equipment just for review purposes.
Yes I showed and shared my thoughts from what I had , there's always something better but one can't have everything that is out there. The best knifesharpener is the skill to sharpen free hand on stones.
To be honest the only sharpener I had was an Arkansas 1000-1200 grit hard pocket stone for 6+years it was my go to sharpener for my outdoor knives , was sharpening full flat grinds , convex grinds , scandi grinds and anything in between , also axes and hatchets , I would just strop the knives between my trips and if it had a small nick or something I would work it out with that , yes it took time but I always had mirror polished razor sharp knives , so each to their own

NickHFSS NickHFSS In the video it look's like the whetstone on your Tormek is really out of round have you trued the stone up at all.

The various systems are great, but I've never found it necessary to set a bevel to micrometer measurements to get a hair-splitting edge. I prefer freehand sharpening, and only occasionally use an aligner to re-set the bevel when necessary.

Hand sharpening is best. Never have to rely on anyone's gadget.
Rich

I think you need either a ton of practice, or a mentor to show you how to hand sharpen properly. I have ruined many an edge trying to hand sharpen it myself. Straight edges end up looking like recurves by the time I am done. :(

I am still hoping that member HeavyHanded's hand sharpening system returns. He stopped making them, but was looking to start again if he could find a way to get one of the parts made.

Last edited:
image.jpeg I am getting good results from my home made sharpener. One side is set to 15* off vertical; the other to 20*. Stones are held in place by gravity. I have Quartz, Al2O3, SiC, and Diamond stuff.

there are a hundred ways to sharpen a knife. and they all work. the best sharpener does not exist, it's entirely up to the skill set of the end user.

The various systems are great, but I've never found it necessary to set a bevel to micrometer measurements to get a hair-splitting edge. I prefer freehand sharpening, and only occasionally use an aligner to re-set the bevel when necessary.

Come on, yall can be honest with us here. Where do you hide your Wicked Edge at? LOL!

Back